Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 26: Improvised Weapons

03 Aug 2007, 16:29

“It’s going to be a bit trickier, but I think we’re in place to leverage the Roseblack’s recent victory with House Sesus.” Sesus Nagazzer leaned back on his couch, taking a deep pull from his hookah, and looked across the table at Regent Fokuf, who took a polite sip of tea in response. The two had met in Nagazzer’s quarters after the report of the Roseblack’s victory the night before came in, and were now discussing strategies. Damian was occupied with Calibration affairs, leaving the two to work things out together for the moment. “Mnemon’s support could actually work out for us, if we could corner her. She’ll never really settle for anything less than being the Empress, but if we portray her as a wise old councilor, ready to support Empress Ejava…” He trailed off as Fokuf coughed on tea. “It’s not that funny.”

“I think it is.” Fokuf grinned lopsidedly. “Would that fool anyone? Anyone at all?”

“Well… no. Not unless we found some fairly serious way to force Mnemon into backing down.” Nagazzer sighed, holding his hands, and blew out thoughtfully. “It all comes back to her, in the end. With the support of Sesus, we’ll have five houses behind us – enough to sway Cathak. And having Sesus and Cathak will sway Cynis, and having that majority will swing Peleps, and then Ragara and Iselsi will join in. Mnemon would be completely isolated – she couldn’t oppose us anymore.” His expression turned sour. “At which point, she would become desperate, and she has too many dangerous weapons at her disposal. We need a way to isolate her.”

“And to know why she helped her rival get that kind of power.” Fokuf stood, pacing back and forth. As he passed the desk, he paused, noticing a shadow pass into view just outside the door. Instantly, his demeanor changed, and he gestured subtly as he continued speaking. “But I don’t know, Master Nagazzer. This is very flattering, but I think you should bring requests like this before the Council first.”

Nagazzer nodded very faintly, his own expression sharp. He began to reach slowly for his sanxian, which was leaning against the wall, as Fokuf, appearing nervous, picked up the heavy copy of the Immaculate Texts that were sitting on the desk. “Oh, of course, Regent. I simply wanted to bring this to your atten-”

A moment before he grasped the instrument, his arms went rigid, and he gasped in surprise. Water Essence flowed around him, having snaked subtly under the doorjamb, and held his limbs immobile. Quickly, the door opened and closed as the man who had been standing outside slid through, his anima glowing blue around him. Fokuf took a step backwards in shock, falling into the chair behind the desk as he backed into it with an ungainly thud.

“Hmph.” The unknown man shook his head, tendrils of watery Essence flowing from him to Nagazzer. “You are strong, Lord Nagazzer. But you are already caught, and your guards are disposed of. No one will save you.”

“Who…?” Fokuf’s voice was faint, but the man turned towards him with a malicious smile.

“And the Regent? Lovely, I had hoped it was you I heard. You might be interested to know that you are my third target – but since you’re already here, the order is not truly important.” Letting his Essence continue to choke Nagazzer, who was clearly putting up a difficult fight to hold it off, the Dragon-Blood stalked forwards towards the desk. “Do you know, you are the ninth-most important person in House Tepet? Ridiculous, isn’t it? We almost didn’t bother going that far down, but there’s a certain symbolism to it. Now, don’t bother begging.” He started to reach forwards, Essence gathering around his hands. “It’s nothing personal.”

Fokuf yelped, and his hands moved spasmodically. A moment later, a fifteen-pound book bounced off the assassin’s face.

The assassin let out a cry of pain and rage, one hand flying up to clutch at his face. “By dose! You broke it! Dow it’s persodal!” He let out a roar, blood dripping to the floor from his injured face, and started to leap forwards to clear the desk cleanly and drive his fists through this annoying insect’s face.

And Fokuf, with another cry of surprise, fell backwards. The chair followed him towards the floor, and his feet kicked out. There was a flare of golden light, as one foot connected with the desk, and suddenly the desk was flipping end over end, bathed in golden light, and the assassin’s eyes were widening, but there was no time to change his movement, no time to block, only to spend a shocked moment wondering where the power had come from…

And Fokuf landed on the floor, rolling to his feet, and settled into a combat pose. But there was no need. Impossibly quick and powerful, the desk had caught the assassin cleanly, landing on top of him. A smear of blood and a limp arm stuck out from the heavy oak, and the trails of Essence connecting him to Nagazzer died without ceremony.

Fokuf hurried to his friend’s side. “Are you alright?”

“I will live.” Nagazzer heaved himself to his feet. “Who would dare? An assassin in the heart of the Imperial City?”

And a moment after that, the small wind elemental burst into the room, a three-foot bird with clouds for wings that whirled itself into existence, its voice rising to scream out a warning. It paused, seeing the desk and the crushed man beneath it, and it turned its attention to Nagazzer and Fokuf, who were watching it suspiciously.

“Uh…” Its beaked curved into an approximation of an embarrassed smile. “I bear a warning?”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 26: Improvised Weapons

03 Aug 2007, 16:45

You know, part of me wonders just how successful the Iseli thought they were going to be. Another part wonders how successful they were.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Morninglight
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Artifact: Silver Brush

03 Aug 2007, 17:26

Not Cainan, please not Cainan!
My fiction: Please read it and leave feedback, or you'll make this poor Aspergers girl cry.

http://www.thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2798

War Games: DotFA series:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6885

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

04 Aug 2007, 09:57

Just fifteen pounds? <^_^>
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

04 Aug 2007, 11:57

Dinosaur wrote:
Just fifteen pounds? <^_^>

*grins* It was Nagazzer's copy, not Fokuf's.

And in response to BrilliantRain - both of those questions will be answered over the next two parts. In all fairness to the Iselsi, if it were not for Mnemon's deathknight and the presence of Fokuf, both she and Nagazzer would be dead right now, and her small army of demons and elementals wouldn't be warning folks. So the Mask of Winters indirectly may have saved the Dynasty. ;)

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

04 Aug 2007, 12:16

No, no, I quite agree. At first I thought that they were failing a bit more than they should, but when I thought about it, of the three bits we have seen, two failed because of unknown complications and the third guy had already completed one task and might have been too low on essence to take both Arada and his buddy.

Mod Text is in Green

von Schabov
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: DB fanatic
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Golden Exhalation
Artifact: Fuel Bolt Luncher

04 Aug 2007, 16:50

Fokuf FTW. However its hard to believe that Akuma died from being hit by a desk. Grand Deskklave of Akuma Slaying? >:)

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

04 Aug 2007, 18:30

von Schabov wrote:
Fokuf FTW. However its hard to believe that Akuma died from being hit by a desk. Grand Deskklave of Akuma Slaying? >:)

Enough bashing damage will kill anyone.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

05 Aug 2007, 00:12

Epiphany wrote:

Enough bashing damage will kill anyone.

RODA RORRA DA!

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

05 Aug 2007, 00:24

Another "for the curious" moment. :)

Fokuf currently has one Combo - Death From The Paw. It is made up of the following four Charms: First Martial Arts Excellency, Fists of Iron, Accidental Enemy-Overcoming Blow, and Harmless Animal Approach. It costs up to 13 motes and a Willpower.

The effect is to allow Fokuf to reflexively roll to re-establish surprise at +5 dice, increase Accuracy by +1, increase Damage by +2 and make it Lethal, and add up to eight dice (his Dexterity + Martial Arts) to the attack roll. Whatever object he makes the attack with is wreathed in golden light as the twin Essences of the Solar Hero and the Panic Monkey transform the unlikeliest objects into devastating weapons.

I don't know exactly what the damage on a well-made oak desk is. More than a club. Probably about +8B, giving him a total base damage of 13L plus the extra successes on a 15-die roll that is unexpected. :twisted:

Actually, looking over it, I think I drastically undercosted Accidentally Enemy-Overcoming Blow.

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon

05 Aug 2007, 13:52

Friv, excellent work as always. I can't wait to see what you do next. This storyline is by far my favorite non-canon fiction.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

05 Aug 2007, 18:02

A crossover drabble homage!

Iselsi Navia walked outside of Fate, opened the door to the Regent's room...and blinked in surprise. She'd caught Tepet Fokuf in the act of something much worse than his approach to spiritual study. He'd just shaken hands with a God...and an Eclipse Castemark blazed on his forehead.

"Sidereal," the God warned at once. Fokuf yelped in surprise, scrambled backwards and yelped again when his bottom hit the back of his desk.

"Unfortunate," Navia said, shedding Destiny and steeping back into Fate. "I'm afraid you can't be allowed to live, Regent. Your successor is arranged already and I will tolerate no Anathema operating within my Convention's purview."

The Eclipse scrambled away as Navia came after him, falling over his own feet and clawing at the ground. Navia smirked. Panic Monkey? How...characteristic. She stopped laughing when, as she invoked her Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Form, Fokuf awkwardly tripped backwards. His heel dug into the rug under them both, limed it with gold, and yanked it forward as he fell opposite it. Navia had one foot off the ground when the rug was pulled out from under her, sending her flying through the air.

The Sidereal broke through the glass window of Fokuf's tower, fell fourteen stories, and landed nimbly on her feet. She looked up at the Regent's tower with a puzzled look on her face. All she could think to say was, "that was so unlikely."
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon

05 Aug 2007, 22:36

So we have 100 targets, and so far we have 1 confirmed death, and 6 survivors. Let's hope those summoned servants make good time.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8

05 Aug 2007, 22:45

Fokuf needs to learn Glorious Solar Desk

Mod Text is in Green

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

07 Aug 2007, 09:40

Epiphany - That was brilliant. :D

BrilliantRain - Yeah, that would make sense.

(Have I mentioned that my name is only one letter away from Misho, and also I am blonde with glasses? Very scary. ;) )