Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 27: Scourge

09 Aug 2007, 11:10

Ragara Jarrus strode through the corridors of the Imperial Palace, lost in thought. Recent events had him concerned about the place his house would hold in the new order – and as one of the masters of House Ragara, perfectly positioned to control the Regent’s ear, it was critical that he be able to act effectively. It was, however, becoming increasingly clear to him that House Ragara could not take the throne. Which meant that he might actually have to support the Roseblack. The idea of a firebrand like Ejava on the throne twisted his gut, but nothing like the fear when he thought of Mnemon’s ancient enmity towards his house. No, it was probably for the best that…

His thought was cut off abruptly as the shape slammed into him from the side. Jarrus had no time to react, no time to think. Brass claws slammed into his gut as he and his sudden assailant sailed through the air. His Essence rallied weakly, then faltered. He stared into the dark eyes of his enemy, and as the two fell towards the courtyard, he saw a green sunburst glittering. He opened his mouth to scream, and the claws slammed into his throat, cutting off his breath.

A moment later, the two slammed into the statue of Pasiap standing in the courtyard below, one arm raised in gratitude to the skies. Jarrus’s broken body cracked the stone of the hand as it landed, and the stranger flipped lightly from him to perch on Pasiap’s great head. Jarrus tried to turn to face him, but found that he could not move. As his vision darkened, he heard the stranger speak.

“Justice begins tonight.”

-----

V’Neef yawned, setting her book aside. She glanced at the clock in the corner of the room, watching it tick quietly for a moment, and then nodded to herself. Standing, she stretched for a moment, and started towards bed. It was late, and there were Calibration festivities to attend tomorrow – and those for victory.

She walked to her bedroom suite, opening the door, and two things happened at once. The wind in the chamber suddenly gusted, the wards she had laid shattering in a moment, and a great bear took shape in the centre of the room, shouting out to her: “Assassins, milady! Danger!”

The motion slowed her, just enough that the daiklave suddenly thrusting through the opened door towards her caught only the edge of one arm, instead of plunging through her heart.

As V’Neef stumbled backwards, she recognized Iselsi Haspur, a man she had thought dead years ago. The huraka flew forwards, blocking her from Haspur’s view as it roared with anger, and the Iselsi’s anima flared to life, waves coiling around his sword as he slashed at the elemental with three devastating blows. It fell backwards… and an arrow flew from behind it, embedding in the would-be assassin’s shoulder.

V’Neef let a hand trail across the elemental’s side, and as the gruesome-looking wounds closed over to old bruises, she smiled coldly. Vines coiled up from her hands into the shape of a bow, and an arrow formed from Essence sat on its string. “Danger indeed. Let’s see about removing it.”

-----

Ledaal Gaman stumbled as he collided with the young functionary, and the stack of books he was carrying teetered dangerously. The woman moved quickly, steadying him. “I’m very sorry, sir, I didn’t see you, I didn’t mean…”

“Easy, girl.” Gaman smiled. He knew how intimidating he must be to her – as one of the three leaders of House Ledaal, his reputation as a sorcerer and power-broker was severe – but he was too jubilant to be annoyed. “You should get to bed, young lady. Tomorrow will be a festival day.”

“Yes, sir!” There was something slightly odd about the earnestness with which she spoke, but Gaman shrugged it off. Everyone was in high spirits lately, after all. She moved off down the hallway, and he smiled faintly.

“Danger, Lord Gaman! Assassins!”

“What?” The strange being popped into existence directly ahead of him, and Gaman stumbled. He quickly recognized it as an Umodji – a smoke zephyr, child of Florivet. Such creatures gained joy from spreading information, and made good messengers – and terrible keepers of secrets. He raised an eyebrow. “What danger?”

“The Lady Mnemon has been attacked by House Iselsi! They seek to destroy all of the powerful figures in the Dynasty! Danger!”

“That’s absurd.” Gaman chuckled. “I have seen no such… no…” He stumbled again, and his books fell to the floor with a clatter. The corridor was spinning around him, and he tried to think.

Poison. But how… abruptly, he remembered the soft touch of the girl he had collided with. It was impossible, wasn’t it…

The zephyr tilted its head as Gaman stopped breathing. “Lord Gaman? This time is not for quiet! Lord Gaman!”

-----

Cathak Cainan’s bedchamber was nearly silent. The great leader had already stepped into bed, and his soft breaths wafted through the room – as did the faintest stirring of air drifting across the floor.

“D-urk!” The creature swam into being, already opening its mouth to yell, and Thelos struck like lightning. He didn’t even have time to register its shape before it was destroyed.

With anyone else, it would have been enough. But Cainan was already awake and flipping off the bed, sweeping his swords out from where they lay under his pillow. His keen senses scanned the room.

Thelos sighed, and let the wind die for a moment. “Cainan. I had hoped you would yet sleep.”

“What is the meaning of this, Thelos?” Cainan’s voice was hard.

“A new order begins today, Cainan. It is a shame, really – I have always respected you. You may be the only leader of the Ten Houses who is truly good at heart. But that very strength ensures that you would never join us – and I will not insult you by asking.”

“Treachery against the Realm?” Cainan shook his head. “I thought better of you, Thelos.”

“Not treachery. Justice. The wind blows, Cainan. All the corruption must be scourged, that a new and better Realm may rise. Adorjan’s realm.” Despite his vow, Thelos found himself hoping that Cainan might understand. But as the Dynast’s anima blazed to life, fire roaring against the wind flowing around Thelos, he knew it was not to be.

-----

A man leapt from the ground, brass razor claws digging into the wall, landing on the remains of Cathak Cainan’s balcony. Quickly, he looked around the room. His attention had been drawn by the gouts of flame bursting from here, and though he knew that others would arrive soon, he had to ensure that his master was safe.

Thelos was kneeling in the room, next to the body of Cathak Cainan. Gently, he closed his adversary’s eyes. “May your next life be lived in the purity of the Yozi.” He glanced over to the window, and smiled. “Ah. Your progress?”

“All three destroyed, master. And you?” He tried to keep the worry from his voice.

Thelos took a step forwards, and his leg buckled. He looked down at it in annoyance. “I fear my first target was a difficult one. I will have to abandon the other two. Come, we should leave.” He smiled, then, joining his pupil at the window. “It is a glorious night for Adorjan.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Morninglight
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Artifact: Silver Brush

Re: The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 27: Scourge

09 Aug 2007, 15:37

Noooooooo! Not Cainan!

*cries*
My fiction: Please read it and leave feedback, or you'll make this poor Aspergers girl cry.

http://www.thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2798

War Games: DotFA series:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6885

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

09 Aug 2007, 18:55

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

10 Aug 2007, 00:14

Friv, you write like a madman and take risks madmen wouldn't dare.

I love it.

This story is a freaking blockbuster.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

von Schabov
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: DB fanatic
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Golden Exhalation
Artifact: Fuel Bolt Luncher

10 Aug 2007, 08:52

NO!! >:< You just killed puppies for satan dude :cry:

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

10 Aug 2007, 18:15

Friv is obviously trying to start a riot on the forums by killing Cainan. Just wait till Kiyo and CZ find out about this. :mow:

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

10 Aug 2007, 22:26

von Schabov wrote:

No, no. I killed puppies for Adorjan. Totally different.

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
Friv is obviously trying to start a riot on the forums by killing Cainan. Just wait till Kiyo and CZ find out about this. :mow:

*grins* Ah, but if Cainan survives, the conduits would just have to roll over and accept defeat. It would be all:

CYRUS: Hahah! I am the Conduit of Sachaverall, and you will all suffer the wrath of the Yozi...

CANAIN: Hah-hah! Fire Dragon Devastation Kick!

CYRUS: Oh noes! I am the dead!
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

10 Aug 2007, 22:31

Friv wrote:
von Schabov wrote:

No, no. I killed puppies for Adorjan. Totally different.

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:

*grins* Ah, but if Cainan survives, the conduits would just have to roll over and accept defeat. It would be all:

CYRUS: Hahah! I am the Conduit of Sachaverall, and you will all suffer the wrath of the Yozi...

CANAIN: Hah-hah! Fire Dragon Devastation Kick!

CYRUS: Oh noes! I am the dead!<---- I LOL'ed

*ahem* In my defense:

But he's Cathak Cainan.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

10 Aug 2007, 22:34

The outrage can be mitigated by photoshopping Kamina's sunglasses onto Cainan.
I write stories. No, really.

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7

10 Aug 2007, 22:36

Dinosaur wrote:
The outrage can be mitigated by photoshopping Kamina's sunglasses onto Cainan.

The 14th Deathlord finds this as an acceptable compromise, execute this action immediately.

von Schabov
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: DB fanatic
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Golden Exhalation
Artifact: Fuel Bolt Luncher

11 Aug 2007, 02:39

That was Cathak Cainan. Compromise? :lolno: Any compromise other than Cainan turning into immaculate dragon and kicking ass is unacceptable