Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 32:Don't Tease The Dragon

18 Aug 2007, 15:12

There was nothing in the world but darkness.

The darkness crept up on the room, enshrouding it until there was no room at all, only the grasping shadows. It became a tangible, oppressive thing, and the senators of the Deliberative screamed and gabbled and froze in terror as the faintest edges of it lapped around them. A few stood firm, their animas flickering light as candles guttering in a wind, but they were in the minority. Someone spoke – Fokuf did not see whom. “What is this?”

“Welcome, my loyal subjects.” The voice of the Empress was tinted with madness. “This is the retribution of your sins. You lie within a prison of your own making, in the heart of the Ebon Dragon. Welcome to Malfeas.”

There was a mumur of fear, and she laughed again. “You thought you were so cunning, so manipulative. For centuries, I tried to balance your cruelty and greed and obsessions in the name of the Realm. You wore me down to nothing, until I was merely an extension of your own greed.”

“Nonsense, Mother.” Mnemon's voice was contemptuous, and she stepped forwards through the formless dark. “If our Realm was cruel, it was shaped in your own image.”

“Perhaps. So long ago, now.” The Empress shrugged. “I have been paid the wages of my sins. For five years, I saw. I saw everything that the Primordials had been forced to suffer by you, you and your masters. The Exalted bound us within our own bones, and tortured our souls for their own safety. They built a world where evil begets evil, down through the centuries.” Her eyes were swallowed by shadows, and a deep, dark whisper sat behind her voice.

“Who are you?” V'Neef tried to keep her voice as firm as her sister's. “You are speaking through our mother's body, but she was born in the days of the Shogunate.”

“I am the Empress, the Shadowed Phoenix, you stupid girl!” The Empress laughed again. “I am the Conduit of the Ebon Dragon, and he speaks with my voice. I see his mind, and his memories. I know.” Her voice lowered again, as the Deliberative listened in transfixed horror. “How we laughed, when you rose up again, and bound the Solars in chains, just as they bound us. It seemed fitting, them within their jade prison. And through it, we saw a way. A way to have our revenge. It took millenia – but we succeeded. We broke your little prison. We stole Solar Exaltations and consecrated them to the Yozi. And we ruined you, just as you ruined us.” She gestured with a grim smile, and the shadows began to press inwards. Senators froze in horror or fled towards each other, pushing away from the enfolding darkness. “And now each of you will see what I saw. Here, in Malfeas, you will become one with the Ebon Dragon, and when the greatest heroes of the Realm return, one by one, to destroy it, all will understand that there can be no escape from the will of the Yozi.”

“I object. I haven't given you permission to do anything to them.”

Everyone in the room turned as Fokuf, sitting quietly on a bench of shadows, stood. Even the shadows themselves paused, as the Ebon Dragon studied this presumptuous mortal. The Empress laughed, and Fokuf heard one senator mutter, a bit too loud, “Figures he would be the first to snap.”

The shadows gathered voice, a hissing sound that filled the ears of all who heard it. “And who are you, to grant permission to the Yozi? Little man, you are nothing.”

“On the contrary.” Fokuf smiled easily. “I am the Regent of the Scarlet Dynasty, until such time as the Deliberative sees fit to name an Empress or formally restore the prior one to the throne – and I really don't think that they will be restoring her, incidentally.” He cracked his neck, strolling along the pathways of darkness unerringly. “As such, every member of the Deliberative is one of my subjects, and they are all. With. Me.”

The Dragon laughed, a thousand shadows carrying the voice of decay and repressed anger, given an outlet at last. “Then you will be the first to see the truth.” Shadows, black on black, broke from the whole to dive at Fokuf, tear at his body and soul and drive him into madness.

“I said no.” And with that, Fokuf let the Charms concealing his Essence fall. He let his anima burst forth, its golden light pushing back the shadows on all sides, as the depths screamed in thwarted rage and the Empress stood in shock and anger. “Do I need to remind you that the Demon Courts swore oaths with the Solar Exalted? That you may not harm a member of my entourage when we visit your domain? You brought us here, Dragon of Shadows. The oaths of negotiation hold true.”

“Impossible!” The Empress spit out the words, stepping backwards from the brilliant auras of Fokuf's banner. “You are a mortal! No one of importance!”

“It suited me to be seen as such. But this is too much.” Fokuf's eyes went hard. “You have violated the oaths sworn on your name already, Dragon. You have entered Creation, and you have taken its peoples back with you. I ask you, how?”

“The Conduit.” It was Mnemon, and not the Empress, who spoke. She was smiling now, now that the ruse had been revealed. “An Exalt calls forth the Yozi, and thus forms a loophole in their sorcerous oaths. Very cunning – but not enough. We knew you were coming, Phoenix. And now we see the truth. The Realm will be united against you.”

“That's right.” Fokuf carefully arranged Essence into his voice. This was the critical moment. If this didn't work – well, it wouldn't be awful, but it wouldn't be the plan. “Everyone knows who you really are, so why don't you just go ahead and send us home. Unless you'd like to negotiate another surrender. You Yozi are pretty good at that.”

“Surrender to you, you little worm?!” The Empress's voice was a scream. “You have nothing! You rely on the Anathema for protection again? You are children playing at power, and no one will save you!” She gestured, and the shadows began to enwrap her, even as the chambers of the Deliberative faded into being around the senators. “We cannot take you now, but I can and will do so another time. None of you will be safe. We care not for your little Realm – all of Creation belongs to the Yozi! I will be a shadow on your reign, Solar!”

Fokuf coughed lightly. “Drama queen.”

The Empress roared with even greater anger “You will be the first one I kill, Fokuf! As long as you live, I will not stop hunting you, and when I bring you to my master, the rest shall follow!”

Fokuf moved like lightning. Before anyone could react, he reached forwards and took the Empress's hand, the golden light flaring off him forming into a large sheephound that laid its nose at the point of contact. More light glittered at that point, fading into the shadows around him. “I hear your oath, Empress, and seal it. So long as I live, I will be the one that you hunt – and you won't be able to hunt the others. Good luck with that.” He grinned impishly, and the Ebon Dragon roared again as it realized what its Conduit had committed to in a moment of rage.

And with that, she was gone, and the room was silent. Slowly, everyone's faces turned towards Fokuf, who shook his head resignedly and looked around the room.

“Well, that was interesting. I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Shall we get started on answering them?”
Last edited by Friv on 18 Aug 2007, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

Re: The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 32: Don't Tease The Drago

18 Aug 2007, 17:36

Oh..my...fucking...god...

That was totally awesome and made of :win:

Fokuf has been entered into the book of Major Badassness for all eternity for that last move of his and his remark:

Friv wrote:
Fokuf coughed lightly. “Drama queen.”

Was completely hilarious, it had me clapping.

I so totally love this.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 32: Don't Tease The Drago

18 Aug 2007, 17:51

Temperance 1 is what every Eclipse hopes for in an adversary. Yoink! <^_^>
I write stories. No, really.

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

Re: The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, Part 32:Don't Tease The Dragon

18 Aug 2007, 20:25

Friv, that was totally badass. Well done.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Morninglight
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Artifact: Silver Brush

18 Aug 2007, 20:34

Kewl.

Reckon a panic monkey might have made a more appropriate anima though. ;)
My fiction: Please read it and leave feedback, or you'll make this poor Aspergers girl cry.

http://www.thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2798

War Games: DotFA series:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6885

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

19 Aug 2007, 00:15

Given his position as leader and shepherd of a society, I think his anima is works very well.

Friv that was so cool. I wasn't sure how they were going to pull this off until Fokuf started talking. Everyone forgets the diplomatic immunity. One of my favorite things is watching people clever their way out of something and this was truly made of :win:

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

von Schabov
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: DB fanatic
Fighting Style: Golden Exhalation
Artifact: Fuel Bolt Luncher

19 Aug 2007, 09:29

Fokuf is made of win. Best solar ever :hotei:

Nanaki
Essence 2
Essence 2

20 Aug 2007, 11:06

Friv wrote:
The Empress roared with even greater anger “You will be the first one I kill, Fokuf! As long as you live, I will not stop hunting you, and when I bring you to my master, the rest shall follow!”

Fokuf moved like lightning. Before anyone could react, he reached forwards and took the Empress's hand, the golden light flaring off him forming into a large sheephound that laid its nose at the point of contact. More light glittered at that point, fading into the shadows around him. “I hear your oath, Empress, and seal it. So long as I live, I will be the one that you hunt – and you won't be able to hunt the others. Good luck with that.” He grinned impishly, and the Ebon Dragon roared again as it realized what its Conduit had committed to in a moment of rage.

:win:

Friv, my hat's off to you for reminding me that the ability to sanctify oaths is hardly useless...especially if you bait your opponent into saying something rash.

Plus, now the Deliberative has a pickle. Kill the Anathema? Well, if you do that, then she's free to pick people off at her leisure...