Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

25. In Which A Town Receives Odd Visitors

23 Aug 2007, 12:40

Thus begins In Which, Chapter 4 - Black Stone

-----

The guard yawned, waved through the merchant’s cart, and turned towards the next traveler. He didn’t entirely look up – instead, he just glanced over and pulled out his board, unrolling a parchment and tapping the quill against it. The city of Eagle Lake required all gate guards to be literate, in order to keep proper records of who was entering the city, but he didn’t mind. At least it was a warm day – the height of summer, and even in the north the grass was green and the trees were flowering. “Welcome to Eagle Lake. Name?”

“I am Gwydion of the Grey, Huntmaster of the Silver Court. And you are?”

The guard looked up from his writing. The man standing before him was over six feet tall, clad from head to toe in a green cloak that brushed the ground and was hanging around his shoulders, the hood up despite the heat. Dark leather completed the ensemble, looking spotless – although he must have been on the road for some time. On his back, a seven-foot spear, the colour of stone, with a golden tip, hung in a strap. He was not wearing a pack. The guard blinked. “Um. Seargent Sylis Juron.”

“A pleasure, Seargent Juron.” Gwydion bowed.

Juron tried to pull the questionnaire back on track. “Uh, reason for coming to Eagle Lake?”

“Hunting.”

Juron nodded. This was familiar ground. “Just need to warn you, there’s no hunting the local wolves. The forest gods protect them.”

“Thank you for the warning. I will not.”

“No problem.” Juron made a quick note on the parchment. “You’ll have to peace bond a cover on your spear before coming in.”

“That won’t be necessary.” Gwydion bowed solemnly. “I give you my word that I will not harm any citizen of this town.”

“Well…uh…you still have to peace bond it.” Juron smiled nervously.

“Are you doubting my word?” Gwydion’s voice went dark, and he took a menacing step forwards. The other guard looked over in surprise, and Juron found himself backing against the wall. Suddenly, this eccentric traveler seemed much more menacing. “I have killed men for such an insult.”

“Uh… no! No! It’s just the law! I don’t… I can’t…”

“Ah.” Gwydion’s expression cleared, and he bowed again. “My apologies. Of course, being a stranger in a human town, my word cannot be known to be good.” He sighed heavily. “I suppose that you have such a covering.”

“We do…” Nervously, Juron gestured to the other guardsman, who vanished into the guardhouse in search of a cover. “I see that your word is very important to you, my lord.”

“I swore an oath to never speak falsehood.” The words were simple, and Juron nodded.

“I see. I didn’t mean to insult that. It’s just…”

“I understand. Rules are important. They divide Creation from chaos.” The guard returned, and Gwydion took the covering, expertly twisting it around his spear’s head.

“If I might ask…” Juron was surprised at his own boldness. “That speartip. Is it gold?”

“It is forged from an eagle’s cry, mixed with the blood of a hunting lion and tempered in steel.” Gwydion tied off the covering. “I have owned it for my entire existence.”

“I see. Well. Welcome to Eagle Lake.” Smiling with more confidence than he felt, Juron stepped aside to let the visitor pass easily.

“Thank you. Is there an inn you recommend?”

“The Black Beast is a good one, sir.”

“Hmm. Fitting.” Gwydion nodded again.

“If I might ask, sir – and this is strictly for personal interest – what are you hunting?”

“A monster.” With that cryptic remark, Gwydion the Grey swept into the city. Juron looked after him, and then turned to his partner.

“There was something odd about that guy, Haman.”

“Probably a god-blood or something.” Haman shrugged, and the two returned to their duties.

It was close to three hours later, near the end of their shifts, when the wagon rolled up. Two people sat on it; a young woman and a heavily shrouded figure, covered head to toe in deep blue fabric. Juron raised an eyebrow. “Names?”

The woman curtsied. “I am Whispered Melody, and my master is the sorcerer Sky Dragon. We have come to observe the Black Granite caves that Eagle Lake is famed for.” She smiled brightly.

“Ah. Well.” Juron glanced at the sorcerer out of the corner of his eyes, and bowed respectfully. “Very good. Welcome to Eagle Lake. You’ll want to speak with the priesthood about passes to the caves; you know that most of them cannot be reached.”

“Oh, we know. But my master is studying certain arts.” That was as much of an explanation as Juron required, and he quickly waved the cart through.

Rolling into the city streets, the hooded figure muttered with amusement. “Sky Dragon?”

“It saves time.” Serafin grinned impishly beneath her borrowed exterior as she looked over at her husband; her form was one she had constructed for her own amusement, and she found it useful for the moment. He, by contrast, would seem a god to any mortal of Creation who saw him as he truly was, hence the simple disguise. “I can smell Gid’s passage. Let’s go see what he’s found out for us.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

Re: 25. In Which A Town Receives Odd Visitors

27 Aug 2007, 02:24

I think I need to reread. Serafin I dig. The rest of the cast...need to refresh myself on.

But good reintroduction!
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

27 Aug 2007, 20:08

Part of me wonders why they let those weird guys in. Upon thinking about it however, given how easy it is for supernaturals to kill mortals, I would guess that they probably only keep out the obviously hostile and simply warn the government about the potentially dangerous. That way makes them much more likely to live.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

27 Aug 2007, 20:41

A bit like Blackguards in the Realm. An Exalt cuts loose, you sit back and let the Dragon-Handlers take care of them.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

29 Aug 2007, 22:17

Yeah, it's generally safer to not screw with supernatural beings if you don't have to. Just make sure that the right people get told, keep an eye on them, and wait to see if they're actually a threat.

The alternative is having one BECOME a threat when they weren't going to be, and that sort of thing has a way of turning cities into smoking ruins. And no one wants that.

Except Amoth City-Smiter. But he's a jackass.

(Also, more will come eventually. I am currently on vacation and only half-heartedly working.)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".