Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Paladin, Part 4: We All Fall Down

20 Sep 2007, 12:23

This is the conclusion of Paladin. Next up is Breath Between Ages, which will serve as the prologue to Age Of Blood And Bone.

-----

The gathering was a solemn one. It was Calibration, three years to the day from when Adran had started his initiation into Master Thelos’s instructions. He had learned more than he had ever imagined about the gods, their revolt, and the way that they allowed corruption and evil to spread. Their selfishness and greed was appalling. Adran had seen gods abandoning their duties for worship; he had watched the bickering of the Dynasts under the Scarlet Empress, and their growing worry over the past year since her disappearance. And now, this day, he would take his first true steps to bringing justice back to the world.

“The world is corrupt.” Thelos’s voice intoned the first words of the ceremony with the somberness of the grave. Adran responded alongside the congregation, working to keep his voice level.

“We will not surrender to it.”

“The world is controlled by darkness.”

“We will shine light.”

“The world is injust.”

“We will bring justice.” The words echoed through the chamber, and everyone in the gathering repeated them a second time. Thelos nodded firmly.

“Tonight, my children, our work will be rewarded. Adorjan has granted us many gifts to bring the light of Justice to the four corners of this world, but tonight she grants our greatest. Brother Adran, Sister Harri, step forwards.”

The two did so, walking out from the congregation and kneeling before Thelos. Adran snuck a glance sideways at his fellow disciple. He didn’t know very much about Harii. Like most of the congregation, and unlike him, she was a child of the Iselsi; a mortal raised in a fallen House, destroyed for trying to right the wrongs of the Dynasty. She had been raised as a spy of the house, and was renowned for her ability to slip unnoticed through Dynastic culture, forging alliances and damaging those of the most corrupt of the Dynasts. Although he knew that he was extremely skilled, Adran felt less so when compared to her, and he was still surprised that he had been chosen by Thelos.

Their master was speaking now, and Adran turned his attention back to. “Both of you have lost much to the darkness of the world, but that is not why you are here. You are here because your hearts seek justice, not vengeance. Whatever lies the Immaculates may tell, we seek only to repair the world, not to destroy it. The evil will be destroyed, and the good will be lifted up by our works. You two are our most dedicated mortal agents, and thus the most deserving of the gifts that my Lady has to offer you.” He smiled, then, a paternal look that was very uncommon. “Harii, you are a master of politics and persuasion. You will be our order’s face, showing people the light. Adran, your skill with weapons is all but unmatched among mortals. You will be our strong arm, defending the righteous and punishing the unjust.”

Adran’s heart swelled with a mix of pride and worry. He was glad that he had been chosen, but he didn’t know if he had the strength. Despite the life he was learning to live, his nights were still haunted by Chelena’s face, and the life that they had shared. He would try to put that aside for the greater good, but he was afraid he might not succeed.

“Rise, my children, and approach me.” Adran and Harii stood, and walked forwards, and Thelos laid a hand on each of their foreheads. “Feel the breath of Adorjan, and go forth. Go to see our Mother, and receive her Blessing.” And as he spoke the last word, his anima sprung up around him, the wind howling like a hungry gale. It caught at Adran’s clothes, but he held still, ready for whatever might come.

The world fell away, and he felt himself floating through the sky. The winds surrounded him, howling and tearing, and he felt the raw might of Adorjan’s rage, her sorrow and anger at the damage that had been done to her Creation. Harii was no longer beside him, but he hardly noticed. The winds scoured through him, and green light followed in their wake. And as a new power grew within him, Adorjan searched his soul.

She felt his raw determination and desire for justice, and she was pleased. And she felt his regret, his lost hopes and dreams, and she scoured them with a thought, for regret is a sign of an action done wrong. The Champions of Adorjan would know that their paths were righteous, and that Adorjan’s will was correct, and they would need never fear being mistaken – and thus there was no place for guilt or shame in their lives.

And the wind faded, and the man who was Adran found himself back in his body, lying on the floor. As he stood, he saw the room bathed in pure, beautiful green light, and he realized that it came from himself and Harii. She stood as he did, and the two shared the pure smile of those who had felt their god’s righteous fury. The green eclipse burned on her brow, even as the sunburst did on his, and Thelos spoke.

“You have been deemed worthy, and purified. Your old names are cast off, and you are reborn.” Thelos turned to the woman, and gestured, as two worshippers brought forth pure white robes and a think ivory mask. “I name you Hariel, of the Arbiter Caste. You will turn our enemies to our cause, and purify them of corruption.” And then he turned to the man who had been Adran, and he reached into his own robes, drawing forth a pair of beautiful brass razor claws. “And I name you Draniel, of the Paladin Caste. You will rise to glory, and evil will fall before us.”

Draniel smiled broadly, bowing his head. “Thank you, Master.” He took the claws, strapping them on – they fit perfectly. “I will bring Justice back into the world.”

And he was serene, for no thought of what he had lost crossed his mind. He lived to serve Adorjan, and nothing else was as important.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Paladin, Part 4: We All Fall Down

20 Sep 2007, 14:49

I was worried this was going to happen after the last installment. The problem is that without doubt and regret, we probably aren't going to get him back from the Yozies. I'd argue that he wouldn't be a very good Paladin unless he had that, but...

I mean look how well it worked for the Sapphire Guard from the Order of the Stick...

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

20 Sep 2007, 21:01

:cry:
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

21 Sep 2007, 15:34

BrilliantRain: Well, it's Paladin in the old sense, rather than the D&D sense - specifically, a "knightly or heroic champion" or a defender of a noble cause.

Which, from the Yozi's perspective...

In all seriousness, I decided on abandoning Celestial imagery for my Infernals. So instead of the Dawn Caste, you have the Paladin Caste. The Zenith Caste is replaced by the Hierophant Caste. The Night Caste becomes the Inquisitor Caste, and the Eclipse are the Arbiter Caste.

And I have no idea what to call the bloody Twilights. I'm leaning slightly towards Interpreter, because nothing else has quasi-religious overtones.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".