Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Breath Between Ages, Part Four: Ordained Dominion

27 Sep 2007, 12:43

The great star chamber of Rathess shuddered for a moment, and then one wall exploded inwards as Filial Wisdom exploded through the wall, crashing to roll along the ground for a few moments before coming to rest in a pile of rubble.

“This is impossible.” Wisdom’s anima burned gold around him, his Essence all but spent in attempts to defend himself. “I am the Goblin King! I have ruled Rathess for a hundred years –”

“An unfortunate oversight.” Smoke obscured the figure stepping through the hole in the wall for several moments, but his voice was unmistakable – high and child-like, with the sound of bells echoing in each word. Filial Wisdom grabbed a column fifteen feet high and tore it from the ground, swinging it with all his might – it shattered against the monster’s skin. “You do not even deserve your Exaltation, let alone this mighty place.”

Wisdom staggered backwards as the creature moved with sudden, blinding speed, crossing the room in a moment to grab him by the throat and lift him into the air. “You poor, pathetic fool. Did you think that your bond with the Leech-God was enough to save you, when you have taken no steps to save yourself?” Filial Wisdom, eyes bugging, looked at it without comprehension, and the beast snorted in disgust. Moonsilver claws threw the Solar to the floor in a shower of stone chips, and a great cloven hoof stepped on his chest as he tried to rise. “The Dragon Kings, you little idiot.”

“What…?” Filial Wisdom’s voice was faint as he tried to push the leg off it. It was like wrestling a mountain.

“You have been sitting on a weapon that could clear the East of foes, properly prepared and aligned. Ten thousand Dragon Kings, once the great allies of the Solar Deliberative.” The monster chuckled melodically, the voice at odds with its appearance, and began to push downwards. Stone cracked and split as Filial Wisdom struggled. “Now they will serve the will of the Yozi, even as they once fought us. It is a marvel of evolution that they might rise again.”

“Who… are you?” Filial Wisdom gasped out the words, still uncomprehending. How could this be happening?

“Me? I am Ma-Ha-Suichi, Warlord of the East, champion of the Silver Pact… and the Conduit of Szoreny, the Brass Forest.” Ma-Ha-Suichi laughed, and gave a final press; Filial Wisdom’s chest exploded inwards, coating the floor in blood. “And I am your executioner, failed Goblin King.”

-----

Amaryllis, Goddess of Perfumed Flowers, looked around the table at the gathering, and then turned her attention to the Emissary of Nexus. “Emissary, I see only a third of the Council present. What is the meaning of this?”

“We face a grave crisis.” As usual, the voice of the Emissary was flat, but today there was a hint of something else behind it. Concern? Amaryllis tried to remember if she had ever heard him worried before. “The Conduit of Malfeas is in Nexus even now – and he has drawn close to half the Council into his control.”

“Conduit?” Arys Shen, a hierarch of the Guild and one of the few mortals present, raised an eyebrow.

“An Exalt who has aligned his nature with the Yozi. He seeks to control Nexus completely.”

“I see. And half the Council has been corrupted?” Arys frowned thoughtfully. “This is a serious problem.”

“Indeed, Hierarch. You represent everyone on the Council that I can trust never to give in to the Conduit.”

Amaryllis nodded, rubbing a hand through the entwined stems and petals that made up her hair. “I presume you have a plan of action for stopping him?”

There was a short pause, and then the Emissary spoke again. “Ah. I see the confusion.” He raised his arms, and quicksilver fire began to rain forth, moving with unerring accuracy and speed towards the Council. He raised his voice only slightly, above the screams. “I do not seek to stop the Conduit. I only brought you here to die.”

Moments later, it was done, and the Emissary, Conduit of Malfeas, looked with some satisfaction over the charred remnants of the holdouts in the Council. Now the greatest city in Creation belonged to Malfeas – and to him.

-----

Saloy Hin, General of the Seventeenth Imperial Legion – though in truth the Seventeenth was simply his legion now, body and soul – walked through the towers of his new home, making his way to the top of the great tower. With a flicker of Essence, he opened the door, letting it seal behind him as he entered the observatory.

First, he glanced down at the star patterns, ancient and unknowable, etched into the floor. Four glowed with a darkness that seemed to swallow light, and Saloy murmured to himself. “Yes, four Deathlords for four of the Neverborn. A victory for the rest of us that there are not more.” He looked up at the sky, and then tilted his head thoughtfully and sighed. “Ah, Isidoros has failed. Unfortunate.” The stars that represented Isidoros’s power were faded and dark, tied once again in Malfeas, and Gaia’s stars shone bright with the power of her new Conduit. It took only a moment to see that Chorifa, as well, has lost her Conduit. It was unfortunate – Isidoros and Chorifa would have been valuable additions to the alliance that Malfeas had formed, and Hin had every reason to support that alliance.

He let Essence form between his fingers, and it took the vague shape of the Emissary’s mask, flying up to hover in the air before him. Hin spoke first. “Greetings, Malfeas. I have bad news – Isidoros has fallen.”

“That is unfortunate, Thari.” As usual, they conversed with the names of their patrons rather than themselves. There were days when Hin could barely tell the difference, now. It was an invigorating feeling, if somewhat frightening to a tiny part of him. “He would have been helpful to us; we could have conquered the North easily.”

“True, but we still have Ghroth and He Who Follows In His Wake. Between them, I think they will manage Biraszha Haisz and the remaining Exalts in the area.” Hin tapped his chin thoughtfully. “I am more concerned that Gaia has entered the Competition.”

“We always knew it was possible – and Autochthon has yet to arrive. She is only one; she can do little to affect the outcome.” The Emissary seemed pleased behind his mask. “With myself and Szoreny in the East, and you in the South, we will have time enough to spread a net before the others can. Our alliance is strong, and we will triumph.”

Hin nodded, letting the connection fade, but he had concerns. Five Conduits were a powerful force, but he would have preferred seven. And he feared that Malfeas’s confidence, when it came to Gaia and Autochthon, was misplaced…
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Breath Between Ages, Part Four: Ordained Dominion

27 Sep 2007, 14:05

Quibble: Han-Thaa is not a leech god. He is the Ghoul King, who preaches that rot should come so that you can feast on the remains of the powerful and gain their power. The leech gods don't even approach him in power, though they are all Forbidden Gods watched by Sidereal equivalents of Mulder and Scully.
I write stories. No, really.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

27 Sep 2007, 15:14

Friv, this story is nothing short of incredible.

What's really remarkable here is how well you take on entirely different sets and situations in Exalted, different places and different Exalts, and tie them into your story seamlessly. It's often surprising but never artificial, which is an impressive accomplishment.

Nice work, man.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

von Schabov
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: DB fanatic
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Golden Exhalation
Artifact: Fuel Bolt Luncher

27 Sep 2007, 16:04

HA! I was wondering where the almighty goat fucker can be. And here he is. Sad thing he is still alive. Oh well maybe next time.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

27 Sep 2007, 18:30

Epiphany wrote:
Friv, this story is nothing short of incredible.

What's really remarkable here is how well you take on entirely different sets and situations in Exalted, different places and different Exalts, and tie them into your story seamlessly. It's often surprising but never artificial, which is an impressive accomplishment.

Nice work, man.

What the siddy said.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

AstraKiseki
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Serenity Punster
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Throwing the Book at Them
Artifact: Codex of Oadenol

27 Sep 2007, 19:11

I have one thing to say.

This is disturbing in both the worst and best ways. Which makes it really, really good. *shiver*
When sorrows wear on all our hearts
When time and tumult lovers part
We turn to our blue maiden's art
And strum the lute, to play our part!

Oath credited to the Demented One
:bluesid:

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

27 Sep 2007, 20:56

Upon further reflection, I do have something to say. I liked the bit where the Emissary was like "I've called you all here because there is a dangerous murderer on the loose and only you can stop him. Which is why I have to kill you."

Saloy Hin is right to be scared. After all Gaia and Autochthon defeated them once before. And this time the Yozies can't really intervene directly so they are already at a disadvantage. Heck, if they can get Autochthon to wake up and choose a conduit, said person might even be able to channel the Great Maker to revoke, destroy, or purify an exaltation. If anyone could do that, it would be him.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?