Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Breath Between Ages, Part Six: End Of An Era

05 Oct 2007, 15:30

Chejop Kejak strode through the halls of the Bureau of Destiny. Around him, panicking gods rushed to and fro, frantically co-ordinating efforts against the threat that was boiling up around Creation. The majestic ceilings echoed with the sounds of confusion and panic, through which the Sidereal moved like a beacon of serenity, untouched by the chaos unfolding in all directions; his anima still glittered from his recent exertions, drawing the attention of gods who had not seen signs of peripheral Essence use in the Master of the Bronze Faction since the days of the Contagion.

He met Harakken Cyrus near the Loom. Cyrus bowed. “Welcome back, Master Kejak. How did it go?”

Kejak grimaced faintly, starting towards his office. “The Conduit of Chorifa is destroyed, but it cost. What is our situation?”

“There were seven more incursions today, bringing the total to twenty-eight.” Cyrus shrugged helplessly. “Every one is consistent with a Conduit of a Primordial, Master. The Pattern Spiders are already adopting their actions into the Loom. Six of them were cut off rapidly, and have not spread further. A number of others have gone diffuse, becoming all but impossible to track. But I think I can safely say that there are seventeen living Conduits of the Yozi, and four of the Neverborn.”

Kejak nodded after a moment of consideration. “Then Gaia is taking part in this as well. Interesting.” He stopped at the doors to his office. “We have to gather the Inner Circle immediately, to plan our response. The situation is dire, but…”

“We are the Inner Circle.”

Kejak froze. “What?”

“Every other member of the Inner Circle is dead, Kejak.”

Kejak shook his head. “Impossible. There were five of us yesterday…”

“Marik traveled to Crystal, trying to stop the Conduit of Ghroth. Yisella went to the Hundred Kingdoms to oppose the Solar that Oramus is controlling. They are both dead. And Patreya…” Cyrus trailed off despondently. “Patreya was on the trail of a Conduit within Yu-Shan itself. No one has seen her in hours, nor has any attempt at communication succeeded.” He looked his old mentor in the eyes. “The Bronze Faction is dead. The Bureau is dying. It’s over.”

“No. Not yet.” Kejak put his hands on the door’s handle again. “We can still recover. I will send a message to Ayesha – the time for factions is long passed, and we will need every weapon we have. There are still dozens of Sidereals active; if we organize properly, we should be able to defeat at least three more Conduits this month alone. Every Exalt in Creation must know what is happening by now – we can use the Solars to…”

“Damn it, Kejak, what will it take for you to realize you failed?” The sudden shout stopped Kejak, and he turned slowly to see Cyrus standing there, fists clenched with rage. “Does the entire world have to fall into Oblivion for you to see the truth?”

And in a frozen instant, it all became clear to him, as the discharged Secret now spoken revealed everything within Kejak’s mind. His voice was soft as he spoke. “How long have you believed that, Cyrus?”

“Centuries. I realized the truth when the Contagion brought Creation to the edge of destruction.” The younger Sidereal’s voice was thick with bitter anger. “It stuns me that you could think anything else. Every time you see a problem, you are willing to destroy half of Creation to save the other half. But we never save anything. Everything just continues to collapse, until you have to throw half of Creation away again.” His jaw set grimly. “Well, this is the last time. The final sacrifice. After this, we can actually start to rebuild.”

Kejak shifted his stance, falling into the Charcoal March of Spiders Form. He felt his injuries strain in protest, and sternly bid them silent as he watched his foe. “You killed Petraya.”

“And Millia. And half a dozen others whose only fault was trusting you.” Cyrus brought up Charms in response, whose natures eluded Kejak. “One last sacrifice. You taught me well how to do it.”

“You were my pupil.”

“Yes, amazing how they always turn on you, isn’t it?” Cyrus practically sneered the last line. “But it couldn’t possibly have anything to do with you. You’re Chejop fucking Kejak, the all-knowing lord of Creation!” With that comment, he leapt forwards, snapping out a kick. Kejak knocked it aside, brushing through the strands of fate to spin and spread a layer of blows towards his opponent, each charged with the raw power that he commanded. Cyrus slipped through the blows like a thread through a needle, as the hallway exploded around him.

“You are a fool, Cyrus. The visions of the Yozi are false.” Kejak twisted Essence around his wrists, forming a cascade of Fate that could not be ignored. In response, Cyrus called up a simpler magic, letting his form ripple like water as a thousand blows passed harmlessly through him.

“The Yozi are the only ones who see clearly.” Cyrus did not smile. “It is your visions that are tainted. Have you looked upon the shining Creation that our efforts wrought? I have seen where it leads, Kejak. To the dead swallowing everything, while the Exalted bicker and scheme and the Incarna watch with disinterest. And if it takes one final sacrifice to avert that fate… so be it.” His fists moved in a blur, commanding the obedience of their target to cease from moving. Kejak responded by asserting his destiny to avoid them, letting them fall upon the exquisite statues and ruined walls, as the ceiling cracked and fell around them, leaving the blue sky of Yu-Shan shining brightly above.

“The Incarna saw well, my pupil. As, it seems, you never did.” Kejak felt sorrow overwhelming him, and forced all of it into his blows. With each one, he knew the shame of battling his pupil, and that in turned strengthened the blow to come. In response, Cyrus rolled backwards, letting his own anger wash over him like a shield as he moved through the Forms to counter Kejak’s. The elder shook his head, his brilliant green anima shining against the soft blue of Cyrus’s. “Even weakened, I am your superior. It was foolish to begin a fight you could not win.”

“No, Kejak. I simply took advantage of your blindness.” Cyrus gestured, and the world tilted with him. “You could never submit to another. We are alike in that way – neither of us trust in the Incarnae’s plans.” He laughed. “They tried to warn you, as best they could. Only Chejop Kejak would ignore their pleas. And that is our difference, as well. I am not afraid to call upon my master.” As he spoke, the air rippled and shifted. A thousand lines of fate ran down from the sky, filling the broken hallway with lines of convergence and requirement. Kejak shifted his posture, unleashing a devastating attack against Cyrus, who simply let himself ripple into the water again as destructive Essence blew Kejak’s office to flinders.

“Goodbye, Kejak. You have ushered in the end of the Second Age. The Third will be a time of change, but it will not be yours.” Cyrus still did not smile. “For what it is worth, I’m sorry it had to come to this.” As he spoke his final words, the strands began to tangle and twist. Kejak shifted his posture to retreat, only to find that his way was clouded with imposed destinies and tangles. With a tremendous effort, he marshelled the Essence-Shattering Typhoon, tearing the tangles asunder and shattering the trap in a storm of broken Essence patterns. And beyond it, he saw the truth.

He was no longer in the shining city of Yu-Shan. Now, he stood on the gleaming plain of Chorifa herself, with Sacheverall’s tendrils coiling around him. It was the Primordial itself that he had struck, forcing it merely to withdraw. And around her were dozens of monsters, which he catalogued and recognized within moments. The Third Circle souls of Sacheverall and Chorifa, every last one save their fetiches – presumably secured safely in another location. They were waiting for him, and prepared, their power fully marshaled. Any three of them, he could have defeated even in his current state. Any eight he might destroy at his best. But this was a force beyond his ability to combat, and he knew at a glance that any method he might use to return to Creation could not succeed before he was torn apart.

Kejak set himself again, his anima leaping around him, and he nodded grimly, broken Essence gathering in his fingers. “So be it. I will die, but not alone. Who will be the first to join me?”

-----

And thus ends Breath Between Ages, as well as the Second Age of Creation.
Last edited by Friv on 06 Oct 2007, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

Re: Breath Between Ages, Part Six: End Of An Era

05 Oct 2007, 17:50

Chejop Kejak versus a shitload of Third Circle Demons?

This can only end in awesome. Some death and tears, too. But mostly just awesome.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

05 Oct 2007, 18:12

Kailan wrote:
Chejop Kejak versus a shitload of Third Circle Demons?

This can only end in awesome. Some death and tears, too. But mostly just awesome.

I believe about now it's time for him to pull out UNLIMITED MINDFUCK WORKS with the end Charm for Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic. As the opening salvo, mind you.
I write stories. No, really.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

05 Oct 2007, 22:40

Heavens Gardener wrote:

Now that you're using Fate/Stay Night meme (yay Beauty in the Eye and Fate/Stay Night refs), was it wrong of me to have been listening to the theme from Archer and Lancer's fight while reading this?

Not at all.

It's never inappropriate to be listening to Fate/stay night music!
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

05 Oct 2007, 22:53

Friv wrote:
Kejak shifted his stance, falling into the Charcoal March of Spiders Ford. He felt his injuries strain in protest, and sternly bid them silent as he watched his foe. “You killed Petraya.”

Charcoal March of Spiders Ford? Is that like a VW Bug? If so, I gotta get me one of those!

Joking aside, I note that he still doesn't seem to get it. Chejop still doesn't seem to realise that when the Five Maidens appeared to him, he failed.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

06 Oct 2007, 00:05

BrilliantRain wrote:
Friv wrote:
Kejak shifted his stance, falling into the Charcoal March of Spiders Ford. He felt his injuries strain in protest, and sternly bid them silent as he watched his foe. “You killed Petraya.”

Charcoal March of Spiders Ford? Is that like a VW Bug? If so, I gotta get me one of those!

Joking aside, I note that he still doesn't seem to get it. Chejop still doesn't seem to realise that when the Five Maidens appeared to him, he failed.

Fixed. There's always one typo, isn't there? It's like my own personal Obsidian Shards of Infinity.

And yeah, Kejak doesn't get it. That's pretty much what Cyrus threw in his face; even at the end, he's not willing to admit that he was wrong. Outmanuevered, maybe. But never wrong. If someone somehow saved him from that certain death and dragged him back into Creation, he would go swearing up and down that his plan would have worked perfectly, if Cyrus hadn't screwed it up.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

06 Oct 2007, 00:35

Honestly, not being able to admit that you were wrong, even to yourself, is one of the signs that you should never be allowed anywhere remotely near power. If nothing else, he should admit to himself that his listening to Cyrus is what finally turned the Bronze/Gold tiff into a shooting war.

Well, at least we have seen the last of that blind idiot. May his next incarnation be as someone worthy.

And may the Conduit of Gaia utterly destroy Cyrus for his crimes. Hopefully after she finds them out.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

09 Oct 2007, 23:46

I find myself really wondering this question: What does Cyrus want Chejop to say? Does he want him to say "Oh we're screwed it's all my fault I can do nothing"? I mean, really, what else is Chejop supposed to do? Hell, that Chejop's throwing aside Bronze Faction ideology and willingly embracing the use of Solars to help fight the Conduits shows remarkable flexibility. I know Cyrus is a Conduit and basically a puppet at this point but, like I said, I'm just not sure what he's expecting out of this conversation.

I don't know that any reasonable person in that situation, who still had options, would just give up. Or maybe Cyrus wants Chejop to just join his side? I really don't know.

It's great writing, though. Great climax there and a much better death or set-up for death than I did myself. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories