Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age of Blood and Bone, Part Four: It's Been A Long Day

09 Dec 2007, 13:47

Oh Emm Gee it's back on!
-----

“We absolutely refuse!” Storms-As-He-Walks, lord of the thunderbirds and chief servant of the Wind Master Black Grinning Bear, slammed his fist down on the heavy stone table, leaving a small crack in the glazed surface. “The Amarinthine Manse was rightfully ceded to my master as reparations for the damages done to his first home, and we will not return it to a gang of malfeasant droplets!”

“The Manse was stolen by intimidation, after my master responded to the unwarranted aggression of the so-called West Wind!” Whistling River, leader of the sea nymphs of the Ocean Dragon Yulenti, glared across the table at the thunderbird. “Its return is not a negotiable aspect of these discussions, and any attempt to retain will be seen as the continued bullying of your arrogant lord!”

“Listen here, you foam-brained harlot.” The wind in the chamber picked up as Storms spoke, lightning crackling along his arm. “Your ability to jiggle your breasts and pimp yourself out to degenerate Dynasts doesn't impress me! I know your so-called talents, and...”

“Oh, you would know more than I about degenerate Dynasts, now, wouldn't you?” Whistling River's skin coursed with Essence as water began to coat it. “If you cared half as much about your duties as you do about that little mortal sexpot...”

Thunder crashed. “TAKE THAT BACK!” Storms-As-He-Walks leapt over the table, the wind roaring its fury around him. Whistling River brought her arms up to block, the water gathering in front of her.

And a blast of wind came between the two, cutting them off from one another just long enough to check Storm's attack.

Tandar Kieran rubbed the bridge of his nose, taking a moment to brush back his hair. He reflected that it was starting to get too long, if the winds coursing around the chamber were able to muss it so dramatically from its usual position. He nodded his thanks to the fourth person in the room, and she smiled tightly. Ollir Elena, his foster mother, had spent the past year refining the elemental gifts that Seven Winds Dancing had granted to her to save her life, and her help had been invaluable over the last two months.

“Alright, that's enough.” Kieran fixed each of the elemental leaders in turn with a baleful gaze, using a drop of Essence to make sure they calmed down. Each one had the grace to look slightly embarassed, although they remained just this side of murderous. Early in the negotiations, both sides had required an honour guard, but after the disasterous brawl of a few weeks' back, they had taken to meeting alone, with the Solar and god-blood serving as intermediaries to prevent violence from breaking out.

It had seemed so straight-forwards when Blue Skulking Bear had approached Kieran. The Elemental Courts of Air and Water had been at war for centuries, but with the demonic Conduits appearing in every corner of the world, and the gods unable to intervene, elemental armies might be the only powerful weapon that the people of Creation could muster. Skulking Bear hoped that Kieran, already respected by the Air Courts, and kind enough to see the side of the Water Courts, might be able to negotiate that compromise. And to date, it had worked... fairly well. The Northern and Southern Wind Courts had already worked out some level of co-operation with the Water Courts that, Kieran hoped, would calm any fighting, and the Eastern Court's existing truces had been re-inforced. It was the last two Wind Masters that were proving problematic - especially Black Grinning Bear, master of the West Wind, who had the most to lose if the Water Courts gained actual power and influence.

“Alright, River, that remark about Tepet Sarita was uncalled for. Storms, your opinions about Whistling River were equally unfair. Yes?” There was a pause, and the two muttered out something that might have qualified as apologies. Kieran sighed again. “Right. Why don't we take a short break, and you two can discuss the Amarinthine Manse with your respective leaders.”

“Very well.” Storms-As-He-Walks nodded stiffly, turning without a word and walking out. Whistling River paused, smiling sadly to Kieran.

“I fear that your help will not, in the end, be enough, Master Kieran.”

“I'm not giving up yet.” Kieran bowed to Whistling River, who bowed back to him before walking out. Kieran glanced over to Elena, who smiled at him. “I don't know, Elena. Maybe she's right.”

“Kieran, honey, in three months you've resolved centuries-old hatreds across half the world. Give it another three months, and you'll have the Courts singing songs together.” Elena smiled, walking over to Kieran and ruffling his hair. He chuckled half-heartedly, before frowning again.

“We might not have another three months.” Kieran sighed heavily. “Almost every major nation in the world is at war, now. The Lap is almost in ruins from the fighting between Paragon and the Lion, and there's word that An-Teng is mustering an army to invade. An-Teng!” He walked towards the door glumly. “We're running out of time.”

“I know. But it'll work out.” Elena smiled sadly, putting a hand over Kieran's shoulder. “Trust me, kid. You're doing great.”

Kieran looked up at her, half-smiling, when there was a knock at the doorway. He glanced over to see Thamus, one of the Splinters of Mokrelus who helped to maintain the Custodian's island Manse. “Thamus - what's up?”

Thamus bowed low. “Greetings, Master Kieran. Mokrelus requests your presence in the study when you are first able to arrive.”

“Well, we're in a break period right now. I'll come down. What's going on?”

“Hope.” With that cryptic comment, Thamus turned and left, and Kieran sighed.

“I swear, Nia's habit of keeping secrets got into all of them.”

“You're assuming they weren't like that before.” Elena chuckled. “Come on, let's see what's up.”

“Sounds like fun.” Kieran grinned, and the two walked down the passageways.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Fenris
DOOM HAS-Ohlookit Shinies!
Title: Sleepy Zenith
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery and Pillow Charms
Artifact: Glorious Solar Comforter

Re: Age of Blood and Bone, Part Four: It's Been A Long Day

09 Dec 2007, 15:16

Great job on the elementals, their personalities were really pronounced. Looking forward to the next chapter. :)
Zhao Yi, "Venus! Will you look at the size of this closet?"
Midnight Rose, "Sifu, we're looking for booze here."

Current story is Sun and Stars which can be found in my notebook.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

10 Dec 2007, 13:03

Hmmmm... I would have thought White Venerable Bear would have been comparatively easy to deal with in these negotiations.

Nice to see these guys again! Hope they can get together with a few others and really make some changes. If nothing else, an Eclipse would really help at these peace talks and, funnily enough, I think Mokrelus knows where one is...

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

15 Dec 2007, 01:48

The trick with White Bear is that he doesn't really do much. He listens politely, and then goes ahead and does his thing anyway. It makes negotiations... tricky. ;)

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

11 May 2008, 21:16

Heehee, for some reason I forgot that Kieran and Elena were last names, not first names. Whoops! Also...Kieran's a Twilight, isn't he? Acting like an Eclipse? :)

Fun little negotiation bit and a good introduction to the way elemental court negotiations go. A suggestion, if you don't mind, Friv. I'd have lengthened out this chapter and added whatever Mokrelus has to say to them in. As it stands, there's some characterization and "hey, that's what they've been up to" but not much action.

And you know what...I miss Nia. I always will. :(
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

11 May 2008, 22:25

Epiphany wrote:
Heehee, for some reason I forgot that Kieran and Elena were last names, not first names. Whoops! Also...Kieran's a Twilight, isn't he? Acting like an Eclipse? :)

Fun little negotiation bit and a good introduction to the way elemental court negotiations go. A suggestion, if you don't mind, Friv. I'd have lengthened out this chapter and added whatever Mokrelus has to say to them in. As it stands, there's some characterization and "hey, that's what they've been up to" but not much action.

And you know what...I miss Nia. I always will. :(

Kieran and Elena are personal names - but being from the east, they both use the "Family Name, then Personal Name" structure for naming conventions, similar to the Blessed Isle.

I bet Kieran wishes he had an Eclipse around right now. The negotiations might have been over already if someone with Socialize Charms was here to help. ;)

This wasn't my favorite chapter, yeah. But I tried lengthening it, and it ended up just stretching into oblivion, so I chopped the Mokrelus part off for the next part.