Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Six: Bloody Memories

15 Dec 2007, 02:14

“And thus did the Anathema Jochim fall, and the people cried out with joy.” Tenrek smiled softly, closing the book and setting it to one side. “And now, Danei, you should be asleep. Your father would not be pleased to see you up so late.”

The girl sitting in her bed smiled brightly, and nodded. “I guess I will sleep, then, Tenrek.” She laid back, hair the colour of flames spreading on the pillow behind her. “Tenrek?”

“Yes, Danei?” Tenrek stood as he spoke. Although he was four years her elder, he never forgot his position in the household. As a beastman, he was little more than a pet for the young Dynast; and she would live long after a simple soul like him passed on. He walked to the candles, extinguishing them one by one with a thick-skinned hand.

“What happened to Jochim’s son?”

Tenrek paused, glancing back at the girl. “He forsook the dark ways of his father for the Dynasty, of course. His life was one of glory.”

“Oh. Ok.” Danei paused, then laid back down on the bed. “Good night.”

“Good night.” The lights out, Tenrek walked to the foot of the bed and sat, cross-legged. It was a comfortable position to sleep in for him, though purely human servants might not have thought so.

“Tenrek?”

It was going to be one of those nights. Sighing to himself, the young beastman abandoned all thoughts of sleep. “Yes, Danei?”

“If he was a demon, why did he have a family?”

Tenrek sat up, his eyes glittering in the darkness. “I suppose everyone has a family, Danei. He wasn’t always a demon.”

“But… if it was really a family, wouldn’t they stay with him? No matter what?”

Tenrek paused. “Sometimes, there are things more important that family. I’m sure your father has told you that.”

“Yes.” The voice was subdued, and Tenrek shook his head. He waited, and was not surprised when, after a few moments, she spoke again. “Tenrek?”

“Yes, Danei?”

“Do you have a family?”

The question was entirely unexpected. For a few moments, Tenrek could do nothing but gape at the child. “I… that is… I did. They died when I was very young.”

“Oh.” There was another long pause. “When my father attacked your people.”

Tenrek ran a scaly hand across his scalp, glad that Danei could not see his sudden concern in the darkness. “Danae, this is not talk for a dark night like this. I am here now. That is what matters.”

“Do you hate me?” Danae’s voice was subdued, almost forlorn.

“No!” Tenrek stood abruptly, walking over to the side of the bed. “Danae, I could never hate you.” His lips quirked into a smile. “What happened those years ago – those people stood against the Dynasty out of greed and pride, and your father was as kind as he could be. He had to stop them. To take me in as a servant after that – that was kinder still.” It was not strictly true. There had been no kindness towards Tenrek meant; the Dynast had simply seen a child and thought of his own daughter. Tenrek was no more than a gift to her, and outside of that, V’Neef Soldias could not have cared less if Tenrek lived or died. But there was one truth in his words, and he willed Danae to see it as he spoke. “You are the meaning to my life, Danae.”

“And you won’t leave me?”

“Never.”

“Never ever?”

“Never ever.” Tenrek sat down by the side of the bed. “I am your servant as long as you will have me.”

Danae nodded, and it took him a moment to realize that she was crying. “Forever and ever, Tenrek. I’ll never let you go.” She reached out, and he let her take his hand for a moment. Slowly, she drifted into sleep.

But something was wrong. Her hand started to tighten, and a part of Tenrek whispered in fear. This is not how it went. I stayed with her until dawn. This is not… The ground beneath him turned slick and dark, and he heard her voice again.

“Forever and ever, Tenrek. You promised.”

Desperately, he tried to lift her, to gather her to him. But she wouldn’t move. And then her face twisted around to him, and it wasn’t hers at all, it was Gabriel’s face, his friend and mentor from years later, staring at him with silent accusation. “You promised, Tenrek. You left us to die.”

“No.” Tenrek started to pull back, but the walls were pushing in, and Gabriel’s face faded away, to be replaced by that of Amaya.

“You promised me. Now look at me.” The blood was flowing out of her mouth as she spoke, and he was choking on it, it was everything and everywhere…

“Tenrek!”

Tenrek sat up with a shuddering gasp. Amaya took him by the shoulders, kneeling beside him. “It’s alright. You’re here. Everything’s alright.”

“Nothing is alright.” Tenrek clenched his fist for a moment, forcing his memories back into their places in the depths of his mind. There were larger concerns. “I’ll be alright.”

“I know. You’re strong, Tenrek. You just don’t know it yet. Have faith in the Sun.” Amaya stood slowly, offering Tenrek her hand, and he took it, pulling himself to his feet.

“The Sun helps those who help themselves.” The cheerful voice came from the doorway of the burned-out house that Tenrek and his allies had been using for shelter. “And I think he’s going to be very cheerful today.”

Amaya sighed quietly, then nodded after a moment. “It is time?”

“Well, there’s a Haslanti army moving through the city, and I see shadows on the western sky, so I’d say so. Ready for the big show?”

Tenrek nodded, reaching for his heavy fur-lined buff jacket. “I hope that this works.”

“Trust me.” Tepet Fokuf grinned widely, glancing out the window. “It’s going to be a blast.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Six: Bloody Memories

11 May 2008, 22:32

Okay, I'll admit it. I don't remember who Tenrek is. Should I?

Despite being distracted through most of this chapter trying to remember if I knew him from somewhere, wow, that's...touching. He really cares for her. Sad. :( And very well done. This is probably the most touching chapter of this series I've yet read.

Hurrah for the Regent! He's rapidly become one of my favorites of yours, Friv. Looking forward to what's coming next.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Six: Bloody Memories

11 May 2008, 23:48

Epiphany wrote:
Okay, I'll admit it. I don't remember who Tenrek is. Should I?

Despite being distracted through most of this chapter trying to remember if I knew him from somewhere, wow, that's...touching. He really cares for her. Sad. :( And very well done. This is probably the most touching chapter of this series I've yet read.

Hurrah for the Regent! He's rapidly become one of my favorites of yours, Friv. Looking forward to what's coming next.

Doesn't surprise me that you don't remember him. ;)
Tenrek's first and only appearance in my Second Age stories was back in Part 18 of The Dynasty's Shadowed Light, where he and Amaya were survivors of the Bronze Faction's attack on the Sequestered Tabernacle. In retrospect, I don't know if I should have used him; it occured to me belatedly that three-quarters of this Circle is from the Blessed Isle, and two of them are former slaves; rather a lot of Tenrek and Alina's early and middle backstories overlap conceptually. But I like him too much not to.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".