Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Nine: Cards On The Table

05 Jan 2008, 13:25

It was a strange gathering inside Lodaris’ temple. The students had managed to find a dozen chairs of various shapes and sizes, and had been dismissed as the gathered Exalts and mortals sat. Everyone looked at one another uncertainly.

Tepet Fokuf broke the silence. “So, Madame Serafin. I’ve been told just enough about what’s going on here to whet my curiousity. I gather that we’re to look for Autochthon. But why us?”

Serafin nodded slowly, looking around the room. “For this to make complete sense, I’m going to have to give you all some history. Some of you may already know some of this, but please bear with me.” The others nodded, and she sat back. “Thousands of years ago, in the early days of the First Age, Autochthon came before Gaia with a dilemma. The Solars, he warned her, were growing arrogant. They were seeking to curtail the power of their former allies, the Dragon Kings and Mountain Folk. Autochthon feared that it was only a matter of time before the Deliberative turned its attention towards him.

“Gaia did not agree. She, too, had seen worrying signs from the new Deliberative, but she thought that they were the growing pains of a people not used to rule. The two Primordials argued, but neither could convince the other that they were right. Finally, Autochthon told Gaia that he would not wait around to see. He was going to go as far from Creation as he safely could, and prepare against the day when the Exalted might become more threat than good. If the Deliberative changed, and reversed their decrees, or if Creation was pushed into terrible danger, he gave Gaia a means of contacting him. He didn’t expect her to use it. Autochthon also spoke with one Circle of Solars, among the few who had argued against the Geas that was placed on the Mountain Folk to bind them. The Circle were old allies of his, having remained together since the days of the Primordial War, and they trusted him as much as he trusted them. He warned them to watch for danger from within, and gave them a means of coming to him, for similar emergency use – a gateway, in the city of Serrish Vel, that would respond only to their Exaltations.”

“Alright, I follow you so far.” Kieran rubbed his chin thoughtfully, then frowned. “But why doesn’t Gaia just contact Autochthon with whatever thing he gave her? Why do you need us?”

“Because something went wrong.” Serafin shook her head slowly. “When the Contagion struck, Gaia tried to contact Autochthon, but he did not respond. In the aftermath, she started trying to find him – and she discovered that he had not left Creation entirely. Thousands of Manses had been tapped, so that they would divert a tiny, unnoticable trickle of power to the Maker’s realm. But when the Usurpation happened, hundreds of those Manses were destroyed. The Contagion destroyed even more.” Her expression became grave. “Autochthon no longer has the energy that he needs in order to wake. The only way to get that energy to him is to travel to his realm and break the seals that he placed around it to protect and hide it. If you can do that, Gaia can send all of the energy that Autochthon needs to him, and he will awaken within hours.”

“Well, that seems easy enough.” Khory nodded slowly, looking around at the others. “I imagine that you’ll know what to do when we get there?”

“I can’t go.” Everyone turned to stare at Serafin, and she sighed. “The gateway will only allow the Solar Circle through. No companions, no allies. Just those five Exaltations.”

“Oh.” Khory looked across the room at Elena, who’d been silent up until then. “So… we don’t get to come along on this one.”

“I’m afraid not.”

Citrios shook his head. “But… we can’t just sit back and…” He trailed off, looking helplessly over to Alina, who reached across and took his hand. “These are our companions.”

“I know.” Serafin sighed again. “But I can’t get around that. If I could, I would travel to Autochthon myself. Instead, we will have to provide what support we can from Creation – fighting the Yozi until Autochthon awakens.”

Kieran looked to his two friends, and then nodded slowly. “Alright. Where is Serrish Vel? I can barely remember that it exists.”

Serafin glanced over to Nash, who coughed lightly. “It took some searching, but I was able to find records about Serrish Vel. The city was badly damaged during the Usurpation, and reduced to ruins. A new city was built above it.” He paused for a heartbeat. “The Lap.”

The room was silent for several seconds. Finally, Khory spoke. “Well… isn’t that a kick in the teeth. The Lap is gone, friend. There’s nothing left but the dead.”

“I know.” Nash coughed lightly, looking over to Serafin, but she was still watching him expectantly. Looking like he had swallowed something bitter, he continued. “Currently, the Lap’s ruins are the site of a three-way war between An-Teng, Paragon, and the First And Forsaken Lion. Fortunately,” and here his voice made it clear that he wasn’t at all sure that this was fortunate, “we have a way of gaining access to the gateway.”

Everyone looked around at each other. Finally, Amaya spoke up quietly, from her seat next to Tenrek. “How?”

Nash looked over at Serafin again, and she rolled her eyes. She gave the answer. “The Perfect of Paragon is going to cut us a path.”

“What?!” Tenrek sprang to his feet, the chair clattering to the floor behind him. “That’s completely insane!” He looked to the others, all of whom were in various states of shock – except for Nash and Alakazar, who simply looked grim. “He’s a Conduit! One of the enemy!”

Serafin stood as well, her expression frosty. “Yes. He is. And believe me, this is not something I’ve entered into lightly. I’ve been in communications with him for over a month, and both Gaia and I have been debating this alliance back and forth.” Her gaze swept the room. “Creation is losing this war. There’s no way around that fact. Millions are dead, and the Conduits control almost everything off the Blessed Isle – and they have influence there, as well. Even with whatever armies Autochthon prepared before his incapacitation, we cannot defeat the combined might of the other Conduits.

“The alliance of She Who Lives In Her Name, Zuratha, and Cecelyne have agreed to fight alongside Creation for the time being.” She clenched a fist. “It’s not a great compromise, but Gaia doesn’t believe that we have a choice – and neither do I.”

The room was absolutely silent, and then Tepet Fokuf let out a long, whistling breath. “Deals with the devils. Does Gaia think she can control them?”

“She thinks she can direct them.” Serafin sighed, sitting back down. “This alliance gives us a massive power block in the South, and it will be the salvation of the Icewalkers; they’ve been allowed into Halta to recover and use as a base against the Haslanti League. It means that Lookshy can try and crush Rubylak between itself and Halta, and that the Varagian armies can’t just set sail against the Realm. The Perfect made it clear that if we did not accept an alliance with him, they would ally with Malfeas.”

“You’re the Conduit. If you think this is a good idea…” Kieran trailed off, looking around the room, and then nodded. “I’m with you.”

“Thank you.” Serafin smiled faintly. Tenrek, still looking angry, recovered his chair and sat.

“I guess that just leaves one issue. Where’s our fifth?”

Everyone looked over at Fokuf, and he rolled his eyes. “Autochthon knew our Circle from the Primordial War, right? In those days, Solars only formed Perfect Circles.” He gestured around the room. “I know that Tenrek is Zenith, I’m Eclipse, and Amaya’s a Twilight. Alina’s a Night, and Kieran’s a Twilight, too.” He looked across the room at Serafin. “You got Kieran specifically, which means Amaya is the odd one out. Where’s our Circle’s Dawn Caste?”

“That… is the last problem I was going to discuss with you.” Serafin’s face, which had just started to relax, turned grim again.

Alina groaned softly. “He’s a deathknight, isn’t he?”

“No. Worse.” Serafin shook her head. “He is a Paladin of Adorjan, and Wesmaken’s forces helped him pass through the gateway two days ago.”
Last edited by Friv on 12 Apr 2008, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Fenris
DOOM HAS-Ohlookit Shinies!
Title: Sleepy Zenith
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery and Pillow Charms
Artifact: Glorious Solar Comforter

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Nine: Cards On The Table

05 Jan 2008, 20:29

The plot thickens! :^.^:

Paladin of Adorjan...infernal? Sorry for my lack of name recognition.
Zhao Yi, "Venus! Will you look at the size of this closet?"
Midnight Rose, "Sifu, we're looking for booze here."

Current story is Sun and Stars which can be found in my notebook.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

05 Jan 2008, 22:49

No worries. The next part will make it abundantly clear who I'm talking about - however, if you want a hint...

Well, there's a little set of stories (four-parter) I wrote called "Paladin".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

05 Jan 2008, 23:59

Hah! I called it! South and an alliance with the Perfect! W00t!

Figures it would be him....

Didn't Lookshy explode though? So how is it still a major player?

I hope they won't be disappointed when they get to Autochthonia.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

06 Jan 2008, 13:39

Lookshy's central Manse exploded; however, they have a lot of other redoubts and armories, and soldiers scattered across their territory and beyond.

While they don't have the firepower that they did, a decent amount of it is still intact.