Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Eleven: Frank Discussion

27 Jan 2008, 00:51

Ouch, another week and a half between posts. My apologies - the work hours of freedom that I've been traditionally posting in have been severely curtailed, and I haven't found many other places to write. Anyway, the story now continues. :)

-----

Tenrek stood on the bow of the boat, watching the clouds pass by beneath the keel. The sun shone above, the light shining brightly down on the boat. From this height, the land far below was nothing but a patchwork of blues and greens and muddy browns, seeming peaceful even in the day. If only that were the case.

There was a soft sound behind him, subtle but deliberate, and Tenrek glanced backwards, unconsciously drawing his fur cloak tighter around him. Crossing the deck towards him was Thetram Nash – the Sidereal walked with the solid steps of a man unused to being stopped, but his eyes were troubled. Tenrek nodded to him as he joined the young Solar at the bow, looking over the side.

“You didn’t join us for breakfast, Master Tenrek.” Nash looked ahead, his eyes reflecting the blue of the Inner Sea, its southern coast now faintly visible on the horizon. The ship was passing over the Blessed Isle, keeping high enough to avoid the notice of the Dynasts far below, engrossed in their own battles against the demon courts.

“I wasn’t hungry.” Tenrek’s reply was clipped, and Nash simply shrugged, sinking into a companionable silence. After several moments, Tenrek glanced over to him. “Was there something else?”

“Well… yes.” Nash continued to look out over the waves, his expression carefully blank. “Amaya told me that you were trained by Master Venerable Silk. I was wondering if…” He broke off, swallowing, and then continued. “If you would tell me some tales of his guidance at the Tabernacle.”

Tenrek stared in confusion for a few moments. “You knew Master Silk?”

“Intimately.” Nash turned from the bow, looking at Tenrek. “We were students together, in the dying days of the Contagion. Two chosen of Serenity, brought into Heaven within a month of one another. It was, perhaps, inevitable. We trained together, fought together… for several centuries, we were lovers.” His expression was distant, and Tenrek stared at him in surprise. “It was long ago, but…”

“What happened?” Tenrek kept his voice soft, surprised by the sudden revelation.

“Our philosophies drove us apart.” Nash returned his attention to the distant sea. “Silk grew ever-more discontent with the Bronze Faction. He looked at the world and saw it broken, and felt the pain in his soul. He believed that the Solars could be returned, recovered, and guided to greatness. Whereas I…” He trailed off, and shook his head. “I was afraid. I saw the damage that had been done, the horrors of the First Age. Our discussions turned to arguments. Our lovemaking turned to fights. A century ago, we stopped speaking to one another altogether, except when work forced us into proximity. All over a point of philosophy – and one that, at the time, was entirely moot.” He smiled sadly. “Such a small thing to drive us apart. I always meant to speak with him again, one day, once the sight of him stopped causing me pain. But then the Solars returned, and the Gold resurged, and there was Venerable Silk at their forefront.” He looked back to Tenrek, the smile dying from his face. “And then came the war, and he died. And now here I am, stepping into his footsteps. Guiding his students on their journey. It is… beyond belief, in many ways.”

Tenrek nodded slowly. “I think I understand. When the attacks came against the Tabernacle, it was Master Silk who saved us. He didn’t want to fight his friend, but he gave his life so that we could escape.” He lowered his gaze. “I don’t know if the trade was worthwhile.”

“Never think that.” Tenrek looked up in surprise at the anger in Nash’s voice. The Sidereal’s expression was intent. “You are his legacy, Tenrek. He knew what was important, and he acted to defend it. That purpose, that conviction, is what it means to be a Sidereal. To do whatever you must to safeguard Creation.”

“Like allying with the Demon Courts?”

Nash smiled slowly. “Ah. We come to the heart of the matter.” He leaned against the bow, looking down towards the ship. “You think this is a bad plan.”

“Of course!” Tenrek waved a hand in anger. “They’re demons! Do you believe that we can trust them?”

“We can trust them to be true to their natures.” Nash’s voice was soft, and Tenrek found himself leaning in to listen. “She Who Lives In Her Name desires adulation. Zuratha longs for purpose. Cecelyne strives for hierarchy and boundaries. As long as our desires align with theirs, they will be steadfast allies. If those desires cross, they will betray us without hesitation.”

“And you believe that we can compromise with them?” Tenrek’s voice was dubious.

“Gaia does.” Nash looked over to Tenrek, grim-faced. His ponytail flopped in the wind, curling around his throat. “Because that is her nature. To seek alliances, to forge allies from enemies. Look around this boat, Tenrek. Two members of the Wyld Hunt dine with two Cultists of the Illuminated. Five Solars work alongside a member of the Bronze Faction. A Fair Folk sits married to a Lunar. Ancient enemies have come together, transformed into allies, friends, and lovers. This is Gaia’s nature, and her working.”

“That’s good, right?” Tenrek spoke carefully.

“No.” The word fell flatly, and Tenrek blinked in surprise. “I have lived my life serving fate, and I have an eye for co-incidence. How is it that so many connections were drawn between the one Solar Circle that could find Autochthon, before we could know he was needed?” Nash shook his head, and then smiled faintly. “I’m probably just paranoid. A lifetime of service to the Maidens. But I can’t shake the suspicion that there is something more than we see happening.”

“Have you told anyone?”

“Who would I tell? Gaia’s avatar? Her husband?” Nash shook his head. “Kieran and Alina are too trusting. I intend to bring this up with Fokuf, at least. He is wise in the ways of political demigods, he may have further insight.” He shook his head. “I didn’t mean to bring it up with you. It just slipped out. I think that we can trust Gaia’s intentions. It is her methods that concern me.”

Tenrek nodded slowly. “Well, we will have to take this as it comes.” He shivered, pulling his robes closer around him. “It’s getting cold up here. Why don’t we head back below, and I’ll tell you about Silk.”

Nash bowed slightly to the Solar. “Thank you, Master Tenrek. I would like that.”

Together, the allies, who might have been enemies, returned to the warmth of the ship’s inside, and Tenrek began to tell the tales of the man who had taught him what it meant to be a Solar.
Last edited by Friv on 12 Apr 2008, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Fenris
DOOM HAS-Ohlookit Shinies!
Title: Sleepy Zenith
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery and Pillow Charms
Artifact: Glorious Solar Comforter

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Eleven: Frank Discussion

27 Jan 2008, 01:12

Intriguing~

And don't worry too much about the posting times. Takes me about a week to two weeks to get out a chapter as well. :T
Zhao Yi, "Venus! Will you look at the size of this closet?"
Midnight Rose, "Sifu, we're looking for booze here."

Current story is Sun and Stars which can be found in my notebook.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

29 Jan 2008, 20:03

Silk: "With all of these coincidences, it is almost like we are in a story or something...."

Don't worry about the posting times. After all, this isn't your job. Your real life takes precedence over this.

And yeah, he should talk to Fokuf about this. That guy is pretty canny and sneaky. Dealing with demons is worrying.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

30 Jan 2008, 09:28

I've gone months with less to do and not produced anything. And the earlier version of one story is stuck on a permanent cliffhanger, essentially. <^_^>
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

10 Feb 2008, 19:33

Yeah, what's up with that, Dinosaur? Your stuff is good, too. :)

BrilliantRain: As a rule, I dislike too many co-incidences without a good reason. My players have learned to distrust such things when they happen in-game: it's usually a sign that someone is meddling. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

11 Feb 2008, 00:10

Friv wrote:
Yeah, what's up with that, Dinosaur? Your stuff is good, too. :)

Ups and downs in life - graduation, my aunt's immune system turning against her for the last time, preparing to take two GRE tests way too close together (one the day after the other), trying to write something to send into White Wolf so the control freak within will find peace at last, and drafting other stories to write in my free time.
I write stories. No, really.