Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Twenty-Two: Around The Camp

17 May 2008, 00:14

The lights lining the tunnels had dimmed to a dull glow, faint even for the semi-twilight of Autochthon, when Aegis called a halt. Explaining that it would be best to get some rest during this cycle and finish the journey upon waking, she had set up watches, and the soldiers had pulled out their rations - as had the Solars. There was some brief but spirited trading immediately afterwards; the scouts were intrigued and amazed by the trail rations the Solars had brought with them, while Kieran found the food bars that the Autochthonians ate filling, but a bit bland for his liking.

Now, Tenrek was earnestly discussing Autochtonia's cycle of souls with Aegis, having managed to use the rest stop to disrupt her own increasingly confused and curious questions about Creation. Fokuf and Kieran sat to one side, listening intently, while Alina had moved a short distance away. Kieran glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. She had been all but silent for the entire day, and he wondered if she was missing her lover that badly already.

“Right, but the souls have to go somewhere.” Tenrek was on the subject of soulgems.

“When Autochthon was awake and managing the systems, yes. But since he Sleeps, they are simply classified as another sort of energy.” Aegis sighed, and shook her head. “All of this - the Body of the Maker requires a massive amount of energy and magical materials to continue functioning. Our purpose is to make sure that the materials reach His systems, and to produce the energy that restores them. If that energy runs out, the Maker reaches out in His slumber and takes what he needs from the stores.”

“Which now include any souls that haven't re-incarnated or been saved in soulgems.”

“Exactly.” Aegis nodded. “It serves the Maker, but...” She trailed off uncomfortably. “No one wants to be unmade for all eternity. That's why being made an exile is considered so horrifying. The cities send troops to find natural-born Exile children and return them to cities to be implanted, but they often slip through. There's no guarantee that a soul will be unmade on a given loop, but it's possible.”

As Tenrek and Fokuf considered that, Kieran glanced back towards Alina to find her standing a foot away from him, having silently approached during the discussion. Quietly, in High Realm, she spoke. “Could I talk to you for a moment, Kieran?”

“Sure.” Rising, Kieran nodded to the others and followed Alina - engrossed in their discussion, they hardly noticed, although Fokuf managed a distracted nod. As the two stepped away from the group, Kieran heard Fokuf saying, “Perhaps one of the Maker's systems collapsed and pulled two Essence reservoirs together?” He didn't catch Aegis's response.

Standing apart from the group, Kieran looked over Alina. She didn't look homesick, he realized. More... nervous. Suddenly worried, he whispered to her. “What did you want to talk about?”

There was a long pause. Alina opened her mouth once, closed it, and then spoke quickly. “I need you to teach me Old Realm.”

Kieran stared at her. “You don't speak Old Realm?!”

“Shh!” Alina looked worriedly over Kieran's shoulder, but the other three Exalts were engrossed in their discussion and didn't notice his exclamation. “No! It never came up, alright?”

“Why didn't you say something? We've been talking in Old Realm for hours!”

“I know!” Nia raised her arms helplessly for a moment. “I'm just... I didn't want to look foolish, alright? Everyone else seems so confidant. They know exactly what they're doing. I didn't want to be the stupid one.”

“You couldn't possibly be.” Kieran grinned suddenly. “You speak at least two languages already, this one and Seatongue. At least I assume it was Seatongue - I could never figure it out.” Nia managed a nervous chuckle, and Kieran reached out a hand, putting it on her shoulder. “Nia, don't worry. I can teach you Old Realm easily. Doing it without the others knowing... not so much. Not without it taking so long it won't be very useful here, at least.”

After a moment, Alina sighed, and nodded. She looked up into Kieran's eyes, and sighed a second time. “Alright. If they ask what we're doing, it's fine. I just...” She gestured vaguely towards the others. “That's the regent! Of the Realm! I mean, okay, he wasn't a great regent. On the surface, anyway, now I'm not so sure. But can you imagine the things he's done?”

“Didn't you kill Dukantha?” Kieran's lips quirked into a smile.

“Oh, you just have an answer for everything, don't you.” Alina leaned in, mock-aggresively. “Think you're so smart.”

“Yeah, I guess I do.” Kieran looked down at Alina. She looked back. Time seemed to hold still, and he found himself studying her, like a perfect work of art...

And then she abruptly stumbled a step backwards, her face flush. “So. Language teaching. Should we start that?”

“Yes! Yes.” Kieran could feel himself flushing in return. What had he been thinking? Had he been thinking at all? Quickly pushing aside the memory of that moment, he stepped backwards as well. “We can start with the spoken word. Nouns. Nouns are good.”

Sitting by the fire, Aegis and Tenrek missed the exchange. Fokuf did not. Frowning thoughtfully, he made a mental note to keep an eye on the younger Solars, turning his attention to a more pressing issue. “So, if souls either reincarnate or are destroyed, where did those ghosts come from?”

“The Blights.” Aegis's expression turned grim. “They are pieces of Autochthon that have died. The first of them appeared two centuries ago. The first ghosts began to form a century after that. The nephwracks came in the last two decades.” Her expression distant, she gazed down the tunnel. “The hungry dead come out of the tunnels, seize patrols where they find them, and drag their corpses into the depths of the Blight to create more soldiers. They've stolen thousands over the years, and we have no way to stop them short of invading the Blight itself - and once inside, our Essence functions poorly, and we are soon outnumbered.”

“Why don't you ward the passages into the Blight?” Fokuf's voice was quiet.

“With what? There are no wards that will stop the Dead.”

“Salt.” Aegis looked up sharply as Tenrek spoke. “A line of treated salt stops ghosts. Or fresh grain, but I can't imagine you get much of that here.”

“Salt.” Aegis spoke slowly, shaking her head. “We never even considered that. The cost of extracting it would be phenomenal, but it could function for critical areas.”

“You don't have salt mines?” Immediately after speaking, Tenrek closed his eyes in embarrassment. “No, of course not. And without sunlight, there's nothing to restrict their movement down here.” He let out a slow hiss of thoughtfulness. “That is a problem. But... you say there are hundreds of Exalts in Autochthonia. Why didn't you ever design Charms to fight the dead?”

“A few efforts have been made, but our supplies of soulsteel are very limited, and usually needed for maintaining the Maker. It would take a large amount to develop entirely new Charms without any basis for development.”

There was a long pause. “You've lost me.” Tenrek's browline rose. “You need magical materials to make Charms?”

“Yes.” Aegis spoke simply. Raising her arm, she tapped her skin in sequence, causing it to slide aside. Underneath, a series of spinning gyros of moonsilver spun. “My Celerity-Enabling Module, for example, allows me to target primary enemies and avoid their blows.” She tapped her arm again, and the skin slid shut. “Each Charm is installed in a critical location, allowing me to channel Essence through it. I presume that yours do not function this way?”

“Uh...” Tenrek was staring at Aegis in fascination. “No. We learn them through discipline and rigour, but that's about all.”

“Like the martial arts?”

“Yes. Exactly like that.” Fokuf nodded, leaning back.

“Interesting. It would make our lives simpler, in some ways.” Aegis leaned back as well. “But we should rest. Tomorrow, I will bring you to Sayis, and you may explain your mission to my commanders. Perhaps they can help you.”

“That would be lovely.” Fokuf grinned, and leaned back. Inside, his mind was racing. Events continued to grow more complicated, but he had to admit that he wouldn't have wanted to miss this.

-----

As a note, the explanation for what happens to non-gemmed souls is decidedly non-canonical, but I figured it fit the Autochthonian mindset well. It felt like they would never exile anyone if the souls would be wasted; not really in theme for their world. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Twenty-Two: Around The Camp

17 May 2008, 00:38

It is an interesting idea certainly. I like it. You have done a lot of thinking about Autochthonia and I salute you for it. Good Job.

I swear someone really needs to make that pamphlet about "So you were lovers in a previous life..."

As for the language thing, it really should have been fairly obvious before they left that Old Realm would be the only language that they might even remotely have in common. Given that they have Gaia incarnate and a dozen exalts on their side, one would think someone would have an accelerated language teaching charm. Now, it seems a bit too late, unless Fokuf has a Linguistics charm for that.

And after thinking that, the following exchange occurred to me.

Serafin: "You're all about to travel into The Great Maker. Does everyone have everything?"
Solars: "Yes."
Serafin: "Did everyone remember to go first?"
Solars: "Yes."
Serafin: "Did everyone remember to learn Old Realm?"
Solars: "YES, Mom!"
Serafin: "I just want everyone to be safe. Be sure to wrap up warm!"

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

17 May 2008, 18:00

Friv wrote:

As a note, the explanation for what happens to non-gemmed souls is decidedly non-canonical, but I figured it fit the Autochthonian mindset well. It felt like they would never exile anyone if the souls would be wasted; not really in theme for their world. ;)

Actually, that described why they engage in the practice much more clearly than the book did, I think.
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

17 May 2008, 23:28

BrilliantRain: Consider language one of those things that just got overlooked; during the planning stages, everyone was speaking High Realm, because they all know it. ;) As for why Serafin didn't twig... well, hey, even the Conduit can make mistakes, right?

Also, that exchange is lovely.

Dinosaur: Yeah, the book is a little vague on the whole thing. I think they liked soulgems, and they liked exiles, and they didn't really find a good way for them to co-exist so they just sort of glossed over it. It was my one big complaint about the Autochthonian book in general; I could have stood to have the 'story' chapters each be half their size, and the sections on how Autochthonia and the eight nations work be twice the size. Would have been nice.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

18 May 2008, 01:18

Friv wrote:
I could have stood to have the 'story' chapters each be half their size, and the sections on how Autochthonia and the eight nations work be twice the size. Would have been nice.

You and me both Vat-brother. My main complaint about it is that they never really address how Alchemicals fit into the social structure. Each society is very ordered and each Alchemical type has a set of tasks that they are generally considered to perform well, but, aside from making every one of them Class 3 Citizens, they don't go really go into what Alchemicals do all day, how their jobs differ from ordinary citizens, etc.

This is kinda why I'm looking forward to the (prospect of a) 2e Alchemicals book. Given the format they have been using for the others, we should get a lot of info about the Alchies and their place in society and everything.

Oh. One other thing. Friv, you might consider having the Autochthonians break out Ponre pellets in your story. It has been a while since I read the entry, but if there aren't any adverse effects to prolonged use of them, then I would think that they would be the only trail rations in use, given their compact size.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

18 May 2008, 11:50

BrilliantRain wrote:
Oh. One other thing. Friv, you might consider having the Autochthonians break out Ponre pellets in your story. It has been a while since I read the entry, but if there aren't any adverse effects to prolonged use of them, then I would think that they would be the only trail rations in use, given their compact size.

I may have forgotten that those existed. ;) Possibly future serials will have to use them.