Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Twenty-Seven: The Northern War

06 Jun 2008, 23:35

Okay, so my writing rate is slowing down again. I've got to speed this up; I have two brilliant scenes coming up, but they're way the hell ahead. ;)
-----

Cathak Lodaris walked three steps into the command tent, sagging slightly and sitting himself carefully away from the walls. Although the tough silk that Wind Daughter used was designed to prevent easy combustion, he didn't want to risk his anima accidentally igniting the area. Wiping black blood from his daiklaves, he nodded to the tent's only current occupant. “I'm happy to report that the invasion force is destroyed; we just finished the last of those half-demon beasts. Once Malakin fled the field, it was mostly a foregone conclusion.”

“He will return. He overreached himself this time, but the Linowan have suffered greatly from the battle.” Wind Daughter's voice was faint, and she used her left arm to push herself up from her position lying on a cot on the tent's far side.

“I know.” Lodaris's voice was grim. “How are your injuries?”

“I will recover, thanks you you. I owe you my life, Cathak Lodaris.” Wind Daughter raised the stump of her right arm for emphasis - already, the torn flesh was mending. “Within a few days, my arm will be as new. If only I could say the same for my people.”

“It gets worse.” The tent flap was pushed aside, and Thetram Nash stepped through, his anima flickering quietly around him. “We've had word from the North. The icewalkers lost their last battle, and two of Samea's Circle-mates were killed. The Haltans are urgently requesting your presence - the Haslanti are pressing hard, and Queen Lani's been seen hanging around the edges. Apparantly, that beating the Shadow Phoenix gave her is wearing off, and they think she's going to commit to battle within a week.” He sat down heavily, grabbing a chair and sinking into it in a single, smooth motion. One hand moved to scratch at an injury, before forcibly stopping himself. “At least the Varajtul stopped at Cherak.”

“Yes, but how long can they hold out?” Lodaris shook his head heavily. “Cherak and the Linowan-Haltan League are the only places in the North not controlled by Malfeas or the Ebon Dragon, and Rubylak shows no inclination to go anywhere but right through us.” He looked over to Wind Daughter. “I hate to say it, but we may need to consider evacuating the Linowan into Haltan territory. Verr won't work alongside Lani, so we won't have to worry about co-ordinated assaults.”

“No. The Linowan's place is here.”

“To hell with that!” The tent flap was swung aside, as Citrios slammed through. “Have you looked outside? Half of the grasslands are in flames. Rubylak's overrun us on every side. If you don't revoke the barriers and let the Linowan enter Haltan territory, they are all going to die!”

Wind Daughter looked up at him with fire in her eyes. “And if they enter Halta, they will bring chaos and confusion in their wake, and both nations will fall. Their place is here, and my place is to stand beside them.” She stood unsteadily, walking over to the table. “We will plan for another battle. With luck, I can force Malakin into another confrontation. He will focus his efforts on me, and then the three of you can finish him off.” She passed her hand over the map. “First, we...”

A hand came down heavily on hers. She froze, feeling the heat of the fire testing her dull tattoos, and looked up at Lodaris. He stared into her eyes. “Is that how you think this must end? A doomed stand, and a trade of you for another Conduit?”

“It solves our immediate problems. Retreat into Halta only delays them.”

“Delay is our goal!” Lodaris did not remove his hand. “When Autochthon returns, we will have support in the North. If you die, it just means we've lost a quarter of our Primordial support. They lose a lot less. And it won't save the Linowan, because there won't be enough soldiers left to hold this nation.” His eyes bored into hers. “You have to lower the barriers.”

“No!” She pulled her hand roughly away. “You have no idea what you are asking! You want me to go against everything that is right, to gamble our stations and order on the return of the Rogue? Absolutely not!” She bared her teeth, her anima blazing to life around her in her fury, the sands of Cecelyne roaring behind her words. “I will not go crawling on my belly to that - that traitorous bastard! I would rather die!”

“You were willing to work with Gaia.” Nash's voice was deceptively mild.

“Gaia is not the enemy of all order! Autochthon overturned the very nature of Creation when he created the Exalted! He removed the simple concept that the lesser are lesser by nature, and will remain so! He overturned the idea of spheres of influence and discrete realms of being! His toys are chaotic, and seek to spread chaos in their path!” Her right stub twitched, as she attempted to gesture for emphasis, and she winced abruptly and collapsed back onto the cot. Her last words came out as a mumble. “He is needed. But I will not reconcile with him. Better that I die in this campaign, before he returns, and prevent the chaos that our meeting will engender.”

“Dragons above, are you actually that selfish?” Wind Daughter looked up in surprise as Lodaris stalked across the room.

“I am discussing sacrificing myself, trusting all of my goals to my sisters and brothers rather that disrupting our alliance.” The sands redoubled in intensity, and Citrios and Nash covered their eyes. “I will not have you mock me!”

“You are saying that it is easier for you to die than to swallow your pride.” Lodaris spoke the words barely over the fury of the sands. “Easier for you to condemn millions of Linowan to death than attempt to live. Is that your legacy? That order leads to death?”

“I... it...” The winds winked out. Wind Daughter shook her head stubbornly. “You are confusing a simple matter.”

“Then let me confuse it further.” Lodaris leaned in. “You said that you owed me your life. You're going back on that?”

“What?” Wind Daughter gaped at him.

“You want to spend the life you say you owe me? Spend it on getting these people to safety. Don't throw it away out of misplaced fear.”

“I... you...” Wind Daughter made a confused sound, and then sighed. “I must consult with Cecelyne.” She paused. “I do not understand you in the slightest, Lodaris. I literally offered to remove myself from the world. It would have shifted the balance of power in this alliance back towards the traitors. And you argue that strenuously that I should continue?”

“Yes. We need you. And I'm willing to swallow my pride and admit it.” Lodaris smiled grimly, turning for the tent. “Think about it.” He stepped outside, gesturing to Nash and Citrios. After a moment, they followed.

Outside, Nash sighed. “I hope you got through to her. I hadn't realized her mental state was so fragile.”

“We're losing the North, mile by mile. Even if we convince her now, in another two months we'll be boxed into Halta and Cherak will have fallen.” Lodaris shook his head heavily. “We can only hope that help arrives soon.”

Nash nodded heavily, and the three heroes moved off to see what they could do to help in the aftermath of the battle. Within the tent, Wind Daughter communed with Cecelyne.

You must discharge your debt. The value of a sacrifice is that it can always be made, if needed, at a later date.

The thought was shared by them both, and Wind Daughter nodded heavily. She looked out through the tent flap at the ruins of Linowan, and tears stained her cheeks. “They will not thank me for saving them in this way.”

They are merely mortal. They cannot understand what is truly needed.

Wind Daughter considered, and nodded. But there was a new dimension to her worries. “Can we?”

For this, her Mother had no answer.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Twenty-Seven: The Northern War

07 Jun 2008, 00:34

Ah, popping the circuits on minds, one argument at a time...
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

07 Jun 2008, 12:09

Huh. Forcing the Primordials into having semi-human view points is very interesting. Perhaps that will go back to addressing some of the issues that created the Primordial War in the first place.

Which would be nice, if Gaia and Autochthon are planning what they could be planning.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

07 Jun 2008, 12:38

Dinosaur: Yeah, having had his circuits popped, Lodaris is good at doing it to other people. ;)

BrilliantRain: An interesting theory. I imagine events will ultimately display whether it's right. :twisted:
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

07 Jun 2008, 13:28

I guess my thing is that, the Yozies are fairly definitely back in your storyline. Even if the humans manage to win the current conflict and the Exalted get the Creation Ruling Mandate back, the Conduits are still probably here to stay. Even if they are killed, the Yozie in question can probably get another one in a couple decades. Which means we need to find a way of dealing with them long term, preferably without restarting the Wyld Hunt.

It would be nice if at least some of the Primordials could learn to live with humans without causing lots of problems for everyone, or at they very least learned that Creation isn't their play ground and toy box.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?