Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part 28: The War In The East

09 Jun 2008, 13:08

Cathak Damian looked down at the ornate map of the East laid out before him, nodding to himself. Beside him, General Nellens Udamir moved several tiles representing the best-known dispersal of undead forces throughout the Noss Fens, then considered the map carefully. “If we divert the Fourth and Fifth field forces east, we can protect the Sharagard flank. The…” He paused, lips curling in distate for a moment, before smoothly continuing, “…Fair Folk are maintaining the Briarhaven front, which keeps Oramus off our backs. What do you think?”

Damian nodded thoughtfully. Today, he was wearing the resplendent destiny of a general of the Realm, appearing to the commander of the forces of Greyfalls as a liason to the Realm’s council. It was true, if not in the way that Udamir imagined. Scratching at an old wound, now mostly healed, he gestured to the map. “Any idea about where those goatmen are heading next? If Ma-Ha-Suichi tries to steal a march around the Fens, we could end up knee-deep in beastmen.”

“Last we heard, they were attacking Denadsor – or at least keeping Hegra’s Infernals from entering the city. No news on that front in a week, though.” Udamir shook his head, looking annoyed. “This isn’t a war, it’s a clusterfuck. Four bloody sides, and no one can agree on where to strike next.”

“Sir!” A young man entered the room at a jog, skidding to a halt and saluting. “Today’s reports from the fronts!”

“Right. Let’s hear it.” The general looked the courier up and down, and the young man straightened even further.

“Mount Metagalapa has fallen, sir.”

“What?” Damien rounded from the table, staring at the courier in shock. “The siege had barely begun – they should have had months before it was even an issue!”

“Ah… no, sir, you don’t understand. It fell. Out of the sky.” The courier fidgeted briefly. “The Flying Mountain landed on the expeditionary force that Oramus sent out of the Hundred Kingdoms, wiping it out, but the hawkmen don’t think they can hold it now that they aren’t airborne. They’re retreating to Marukan.”

“Damn.” Turning his attention back to the map, Udamir moved the hawkmen tiles, and removed those associated with the army that had been menacing them. “Well, it could be worse, but it leaves us with only the Lookshy, Marukan, Port Calin, Greyfalls, and Chaya regions. What news from Thorns?”

“Nothing good. At least a tenth of the city has already been killed; we’re looking at death rates of close to a thousand people a day. We’ve attempted to create a rebellion and throw out the Dowager while Realm troops try to retake the area, but the population seems resigned to death.”

Udamir sighed. “Ten days of freedom, and then an even more monstrous Deathlord conquers them while the Realm’s armies are marching against other threats? No surprise, there.” He turned to Damian. “Maybe your pet Anathema could go down there and rally some support? Thorns is the major source for the Dowager’s armies, right now – we could stand to remove her supply lines.”

“She’s not my pet.” Damian sighed. “But I’ll ask her. Carry on, General.”

As he headed out of the room, with Udamir behind him launching into discussions on the potential of recapturing Great Forks or Sijan, he shook his head. The General was right; the east was a mess, and a confusing one at that.

He found Amaya on the battlements, looking out over the city. She straightened as he approached, turning and giving him a polite bow. “Master Damian. Is there a task you need me for?”

“Possibly. How are you infiltration skills?”

Amaya frowned delicately. “Not superb. Why?”

“Thorns.”

The one word was enough. Amaya nodded slowly. “I see. I had hoped they would let me go to Rathess, to try and free the Dragon Kings.”

“Too dangerous right now. We don’t have any troops within five hundred miles of the city.” Damian shook his head. “But there are thousands of people dying in Thorns, and they need you to remind them why it’s worth living.”

Amaya nodded slowly and turned back to look over the city of Greyfalls. “Of course. If the general feels that is my best use, that is what I will do.”

Damian stepped up next to her, gently laying a hand on her shoulder. “I know it will be hard for you. But it could help us hold the east.”

“I already said I agree.” Amaya blinked away tears. “I just… I wish Tenrek was here. And Fokuf.”

“They’ll be well. Fokuf is the most resilient man I ever met – he’ll keep them together.”

“It’s been over a month.” Amaya turned to Damian. “What if something terrible happened?”

“It didn’t.” Looking her in the eyes, Damian spoke softly. “They will return. We just have to make sure that the world is here waiting for them when they do.” Stepping back, he gestured downwards. “Let’s get ready to go.”

“You’re coming?”

“Yes. I think Thorns is going to need more than one Exalt, and I’m available.” He grinned. “Besides, I just can’t get enough field work lately.”

Amaya laughed, and the two headed down to inform General Udamir of the new plan.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Anteros
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Yozilicious
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Poke Them In The Eye Style
Artifact: Pernicious Delight [Hellstrider]

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part 28: The War In The East

20 Jun 2008, 14:09

All right, I finally caught up with you Friv! That's one (delightfully) long story you've already written and I can't wait for the next chapter.

First comment: Nice body count! I had never seen so much iconic character being eliminated so quickly! :daiklave: Although I have to say that Raksi's and Leviathan's death were... anticlimatic.

Second comment: You've built the most complex metaplot I've read since my days playing at Vampire: the Masquerade! I love seeing Gaïa as a mastermind pulling strings from the shadow. :twisted:

Third comment: More of a request, really. I want more Alakazar and Serafin! I need it! If I see them more I'll perhaps forgive you Milia's death...someday. :lol:

About the chapter: Mont Metagalapa landing on Oramus' army was a great idea. :win:
Your mention of the Fair Folk made me think that the Competition is the perfect opportunity for a new Dissolution Invasion; the Yozis are still bound, nobody has access (yet) to the Sword of Creation, and the Conduits can't be everywhere at once to call upon their masters' powers (they can't, can they?). It's like the world is hande to them on a golden plate...unless the Primordials have contingencies. And even then, the fae may have learned a thing or two from their previous defeats and mistakes (hundred of thousands of intelligence 7 being must be able to do that from time to time. Or not. Cough*Kejak*Cough.).
The best custom D&D setting[color=#FF0000] EVER[/color]: [url]http://www.sigilprep.com/[/url]

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

20 Jun 2008, 15:54

Oh, sorry for not commenting earlier. I do read your stories, I just forgot. Anyway...

Ah, nice joke on Mt. Megalapta falling. The Dowager got Thorns? Yikes. I expect she is a bit too canny for anyone to pull off the "I forgive you suicide pact" method of taking her out. Actually, given how nice Amaya is, putting her in a situation where should could save many many lives by forgiving someone at the cost of her own life, might not be that good of a plan if you think she might be needed later.

I do kinda get the sense that we are just marking time until the Solars get back from Autochthon. Of course, since in a very real sense, that is what the Gaian alliance is doing, I think it reflects well on your writing.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

20 Jun 2008, 23:38

Anteros: Heh, I have a few idea for a Fair Folk thing, but there won't be another invasion in the timeline of these stories; I do want Creation to win, after all. ;)

Glad you're enjoying things; hopefully, the next two chapters of this will be equally impressive. There will be more Serafin and Alakazar in the very near future, although mostly Serafin. Alakazar got sidelined a bit in this story; I may go back and write some of the stories of the Silver Court at some point, just to be able to play with them (and with Millia, actually, depending on the time period I set it in).

BrilliantRain: Yeah, this is a series of "What's been happening", basically, although it will be leading into a few major plot events that aren't dependant on the Solars, once a bit more time passes. Like, late next chapter.

Also - wow, it has been a while since I wrote for this. Time flies. I will try to have a new story up tomorrow, because I really want to reach two scenes in particular, and I can't until the ends of Chapters 3 and 4. (They're going to be doozies if I write them right. People will die in heartbreaking, beautiful ways. ;) )

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

21 Jun 2008, 00:07

Friv wrote:
Also - wow, it has been a while since I wrote for this. Time flies. I will try to have a new story up tomorrow, because I really want to reach two scenes in particular, and I can't until the ends of Chapters 3 and 4. (They're going to be doozies if I write them right. People will die in heartbreaking, beautiful ways. ;) )

(Epic tears)
I write stories. No, really.

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

21 Jun 2008, 13:24

Friv wrote:
I do want Creation to win, after all. ;)

I am so glad to hear that! I was slightly unsure ;)
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

21 Jun 2008, 13:36

Icarus wrote:
Friv wrote:
I do want Creation to win, after all. ;)

I am so glad to hear that! I was slightly unsure ;)

Well, it's no fun unless it's on a razor's edge. :)

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

22 Jun 2008, 01:19

Friv wrote:

Well, it's no fun unless it's on a razor's edge. :)

WANTED: Someone to go into the Machine God with me. You will be paid upon awakening and saving him. Safety is not guaranteed. I have only done this once before. Consult: City of Paragon.
I write stories. No, really.