Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Twenty-Nine: The War In The Sout

21 Jun 2008, 13:37

Alright, let's see if I can't get this rollercoaster moving again. Another two parts in this chapter, and then after a brief interlude, back to the Solars. ;)
-----

The Perfect of Paragon frowned, taking a sip of wine as he considered. “Are we certain about this information?”

“Absolutely.” Eiluned, Queen of Stars of the Silver Court, bowed her head respectfully towards the Perfect, then proceeded to deliver her report directly to Serafin. “I spent over a month in the region, my lady. I saw all of the Eye’s machinations, and went unseen in return. If he is truly a Deathlord, then I am a Shinma.”

“Hm.” Serafin leaned back on the cushion that the Perfect had provided for her, scratching her head. “Well, that explains why Saloy Hin’s had such an easy time of it in the Southeast. He isn’t dismantling a Conduit at all – just a pretender.”

“Which leads us to the question of who our mysterious fourth Deathlord truly is.” The Perfect’s frown deepend, and he looked across at his fellow Conduit. “And what this means for our own plans.”

“We have to go forwards with them, and hope the false Eye can keep Saloy busy until we’re done.” Serafin shrugged, standing easily and stepping over to Eiluned. “Thank you, Eiluned. I know this mission was a hard one.”

“It is good to be home.” That tacit admission was the closest that the introspective fae would ever come to admitting how dangerous her quest had been – that and the way that she failed to flinch and push Serafin away when the Lunar caught her in a hug. The simple fact that she accepted it, more than anything else, told Serafin how worried her vassal and friend had been. Still, after a moment she tactfully disengaged herself, bowing in turn to Serafin and the Perfect. “If you will excuse me, I must see what troubles my brother has caused in my absence. Where is he staying today?”

“Um…. last I heard, he was sharing Fiona’s tent.” Serafin suppressed a grin at Eiluned’s rolled eyes; both knew how long that arrangement was likely to last, but neither was particularly surprised.

“Then I shall seek him there. Good day, my lady. Sir.” Turning, she glided from the room, leaving Serafin alone with the Perfect. He sighed heavily, sinking back on his cushion.

“I will never understand them, I’m afraid. How you managed to subvert a dozen nobles of their magnitude is a tale I would be impressed to hear.”

“Oh, it was all my husband, I’m afraid.” Serafin grinned wryly, but her expression turned serious. “Now. I assume you have a problem with our plan?”

“In light of this information? Yes. Taking back the Lap and cleansing the area’s shadowlands will require a near-total commitment of our efforts. If Saloy has realized he is not embroiled with a true Conduit, and I imagine he has, he could strike at our flank almost unopposed while we are sealing the Lion back into the Underworld.”

Serafin sighed, and nodded slowly. “I know, but we don’t really have a choice. Wesmaken is turning his attention northwards, to help his former wife fight Creation. With An-Teng no longer challenging the Lion, all of the progress that we’ve made is about to wash away on the tide. We can’t stay trapped between two enemies, and we can’t lose the South along with the North. Boxing the Lion in is our only hope of salvaging things.”

The Perfect considered for several long moments, and then sighed. “I suppose.” He took another sip of wine, then spoke delicately. “Serafin… I think you can see how this war is turning as well as I can. Without Autocthon’s support, we are not going to win.” He hesitated a moment, and then pushed on. “Do you think his power will be sufficient?”

“Yes.” Serafin stood fluidly, turning to smile at her companion. “As long as there are enough of us around to use his gifts. Autochthon’s power has never been his own, after all. It is only with enough allies that he can truly shine.”

“True. Ironic, then, how few of them he had.”

“Yes, I suppose so.” Serafin stopped in the doorway, glancing back at the Perfect. “It might have been different.”

“It might have. If I had supported you when you first came to me, in the days of the Uprising. But the sands of history have long since poured over that decision.” He paused. Serafin had an odd expression on her face. “What?”

“Nothing. I just wish you wouldn’t do that.”

The Perfect raised an immaculately-groomed eyebrow. “Do what?”

“Speak as though you actually are She Who Lives In Her Name, and I’m Gaia. We’re Conduits, not the Primordials themselves.”

“You are not, perhaps.” The Perfect shrugged, following Serafin’s lead by standing. “I feel what She feels, know what She knows – and She knows what I know. Within my limits, I am very much a part of her being.”

“I guess. Gaia never needed that degree of synergy.”

“That is unfortunate. It is a joy and a delight to be a part of something greater.” The Perfect walked to Serafin, who smiled easily and brushed past him as she strolled down the corridor. Over her shoulder, she called back.

“Perfect, I’m married. I’ve already got that.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Anteros
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Yozilicious
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Poke Them In The Eye Style
Artifact: Pernicious Delight [Hellstrider]

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Twenty-Nine: The War In The Sout

22 Jun 2008, 00:39

Yay! Serafin! :twink:
Now, I'm curious about a lot of things; did Gaïa try to subvert She Who Lives in Her Name? Does she leave Serafin's mind free of hers to hide something of because she is considerate?
So many questions... :razz:
Last edited by Anteros on 25 Jun 2008, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
The best custom D&D setting[color=#FF0000] EVER[/color]: [url]http://www.sigilprep.com/[/url]

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

22 Jun 2008, 01:12

But really, who hasn't been in Fiona's tent at one point or another?
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

22 Jun 2008, 01:24

Serafin hasn't become fully integrated with Gaia? Interesting....

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

24 Jun 2008, 23:56

Dinosaur wrote:
But really, who hasn't been in Fiona's tent at one point or another?

Varich.

Long story.

;)

Anteros: Exactly what happened at the dawn of the Primordial War will be expanded on (well, roughly what happened. I don't think I'm up for exactly now that White Wolf has literally made the Primordial War impossible to conceive. Bah. *exceptionally bitter*).

Anteros and BrilliantRain: Yep, Serafin is still her own person. She's integrated enough to channel Gaia, but isn't practically qualifying for Third Circle Soul status. Exactly why this is will also be elaborated upon. Although it does raise the question of what happens if Gaia is lying to her own Conduit... :twisted:
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".