Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Derelict II: Gaze Of The Abyss [Part 1]

05 Oct 2008, 23:50

Scary Story Month is here again, and that means time for a sequel!

For those who can't recall last year, this is the continuation of these stories:

Derelict
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Also, be warned. This one's going to be rather gruesome, but it'll mostly be implied gruesomeness. Which can be worse, depending on the person.

-----

“Commander's Log, 6th of Descending Water, Imperial Year 566. Official result of active mission codified Grace of Ledaal-21-3.

“Planet marked Kailith is to be declared quarantine zone until further notice. Evidence indicates profoundly dangerous shadowland in place. Ten known dead. No known population.

“Recording deaths of Captain Hadana Makar, Engineer Tepet Parn, and Private Olander Jasin. Crew slain by ectoplasmic entitity at aforementioned site.

“Recording acquisition of one prisoner of war, Galas Indira of the New Realm. Officer Galas was a scout in neutral space. Her crew is recorded dead at hands of same ectoplasmic entity.

“As of this time, I am taking command of the Grace of Ledaal until a new captain is appointed. Crew will run short-staff until arrival at Crow's Landing and complete debriefing...”

Commander Ragara Traken thumbed the Eternal Recorder sitting on his desk off, sitting back thoughtfully. After a moment, he shook his head. “What a gods-damned mess.” He would never have expected a routine mission to a barren world to have caused the levels of problems that it had, or he would never have allowed his captain to be a part of the landing party. Now, he had to juggle reassigning three positions on a ship that had few places to spare. With only fifteen crew members – five each in the Command, Support, and Defense positions – the loss of one member of each was a serious blow. He would have to assign extra shift lengths, which was never popular...

Sighing heavily, he reached over and waved his hand across the ship's intercom. Jade filaments studied his voice, copying it and sending it to the destination he keyed in. “Doctor Landis, report.”

“All's well here, Commander.” The ship's doctor was as calm as ever. “I've looked over the prisoner, and aside from severe fatigue and minor injuries, she's fine. I've left her sleeping. Private Gallen is also doing well. It seems that their report was pretty accurate there.” She paused. “I'll be looking over Corporal Kaltos in about ten minutes. Until then, I've released Gallen back to active duty.”

“Thank you, Doctor. Good to hear.” The commander sat back in his chair. At least one thing seemed to be going right. Whatever had happened on that planet – and his exact information was more than a little confused – at least it was done with.

Two levels down, and in his own room, the aforementioned Corporal Kaltos was carefully washing his face, watching glass fragments glitter crimson with his blood as they circled down the drain. It was all so clear, everything that he could have imagined. The corner of his mouth quirked up, listening to the whispers that surrounded him. So clear. He could hear them calling to him, knew instinctively what he had to do.

The Commander, as the only Exalt still on the ship, was dangerous. That would have to be dealt with. But not immediately. He could deal with another first, one of those who had mocked him and ignored him. One who deserved everything he could do.

The man who had been Kaltos tried to look at his reflection in the mirror, but it was shattered, broken from his own efforts only a few minutes before. He shrugged, grabbing his hat and pulling it on, and sliding his left hand into a glove to conceal the telltale signs of injury. Twelve targets on the ship, twelve people who had to die. It would be so easy.

At the same moment, Doctor Landis Janela was lost in thought. The report she had seen sat in front of her, lying open, and she shook her head in horrified fascination. The kind of creature that would do such a thing... she had thought the stories of the Anathema in the New Realm were bad, but even they fell short of the casual and wanton cruelty she had just read.

Her comm rang with the clear sound of an incoming message, and she pressed it with one finger. A voice came over. “Hello, Doctor. How are things?”

“I'm alone, Tamar. You don't need to be formal.”

“Right.” There was a faint chuckle from the other end. “Seriously, what's the story?”

“Disgusting.” Landis sighed heavily. “I'm meeting with Corporal Kaltos in about two minutes, but I expect to give him a clean bill of health. But you would not believe the things they wrote.” She shuddered faintly. “I'll be verifying it, I think. It might have helped to have bodies we could identify, but... it is what it is.” She glanced over at the door. “I'll talk to you in a few hours, Tamar. I expect that once the commander's finished talking to me, I'll need to.”

“Understood. I'll crack a bottle of wine.” The comm went silent, and Landis smiled faintly. Trust Tamar not to pry any more deeply.

The door hissed open, and she turned to see Corporal Kaltos framed in the doorway. She nodded casually to him, turning to collect her instruments. “Hello, Corporal. Take off your hat and jacket – this shouldn't take long. Gallen and the New Realmer were both pictures of health.”

“Doing a little light reading, Doctor?” Landis turned to find that the corporal was still in his jacket, although he had tossed the hat to one side. He had his back to her, looking down at the report that he had filed. “What did you think?”

Landis frowned, feeling a sudden shiver. She spoke carefully, suspecting that the corporal had been more seriously affected by what he had seen than he had admitted. It would be in character. “Horrible. I can't imagine what those people went through.”

“I can. If I close my eyes, I think I can almost see it.” Kaltos remained where he stood, hands gripping the desk.

Landis took a step forwards, reaching out her hand. “Kaltos, you can't blame yourself...”

In a single lightning move, Kaltos spun towards her. For a moment, Landis tried to stagger back as she saw the wound on his forehead, a scabbed-over scar that seemed almost to form a symbol. Her mouth opened to scream just as a gloved hand closed around her throat. She choked on the crushing fist, as Kaltos smiled grimly. “You misunderstand me, Doctor. But then, what else is new?” He sighed in mock-sorrow, dragging her across the room towards the surgery room as she gasped silently for breath. “Maybe I can explain myself a bit better...”

Fifteen minutes later, the commander's comm buzzed. “Commander, this is Doctor Landis. Corporal Kaltos has a clean bill of health.”

“Very good, Doctor.” The commander sounded relieved. “How long will you need for a full report?”

“Give me two hours.”

“Understood. I'll expect you then.”

The comm went silent, and the form of Doctor Landis looked around the medical room, her gaze fixing on the rear area. “What a mess.” As she spoke, the illusion covering her melted away, and Corporal Kaltos came back into being. He wiped a trace of blood from his lips, smirking. “Honestly, Doctor. You should keep your medical bay spotless.” He took a step, then glanced down. “Oh, dear. And my boots are all bloody. You don't mind if I borrow a spare set, do you?” He was answered only with a very faint moan.

With a dark laugh, he stopped at the spare uniform cabinet and traded his boots for a fresh pair, slid the door to the medical bay open, glanced down the corridor, and then set it to lock from the inside. He doubted that he would have the full two hours... but then, he doubted that he would need them. The Doctor certainly wouldn't last more than a few more minutes in the state he had left her.

“Take care, Doctor. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.” With a small wave, he started down the corridor. Eleven victims left.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Derelict II: Gaze Of The Abyss [Part 1]

06 Oct 2008, 08:45

Medical staff - Oblivion's most hated targets since Castebook: Twilight. Which produces ten thousand plots.
I write stories. No, really.

Shutsumon
Essence 3
Essence 3
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Melee

10 Oct 2008, 14:18

Ooooh! I recall Derelict from last year. And the sequel is off to a great start. :D

But are you ever going to finish that Wyldspan setting? It was cool.
"The illegal immigrants from Normandy have resisted attempts to put them in deportation camps and a pitch battle has broken out near Hastings. Embroiderers have sent us these pictures."

My Writing Blog | My Twitter

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

11 Oct 2008, 00:49

Dinosaur: Yeah, poor lady. Well, she's not likely to be alone on that front.

Shutsumon: Unfortunately, I lost some enthusiasm for Wyldspan after my player almost unanimously vetoed playing it. :( But I may go back and resume it now; it is on my short list of projects I would like to finish (along with the Nihilic Exalted).

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

11 Oct 2008, 12:46

I know how your players not caring about something can dampen your enthusiasm, but it doesn't make it bad. I would imagine that you could find a fair number of people here who would enjoy playing in it.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

11 Oct 2008, 12:51

Friv wrote:
Yeah, poor lady. Well, she's not likely to be alone on that front.

Little things more like a horror game in Exalted than being a mortal around an Abyssal.
I write stories. No, really.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

12 Oct 2008, 10:46

Hee, this was thrilling to read and it's always fun to see a sequel pick up right where the first one left off.

The Abyssal is cracked, definitely. I also felt sorry for the Doctor. Who was honestly a nice person to him and not the least bit unsympathetic, nicely setting him up as the psycho no matter how polite about it he might be.

...though this is a scary story, I do, do hope someone can find the Doctor and save her life. :(
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

12 Oct 2008, 15:44

I'm wondering if the Abyssal shard is the one the team was searching for.

Because if it isn't, and someone should act heroically...
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

12 Oct 2008, 23:50

Epiphany: Yeah, Kaltos is more straightforwardly nasty than some of my previous Abyssals. As much as I like Twice-Forged Steel, he'd make a crappy horror movie villain.

Icarus: An interesting theory. Won't say whether it's true or not. :twisted: