Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Derelict II: Gaze of the Abyss [Part 3]

18 Oct 2008, 00:24

Have to try and get this done in under two weeks. Story-rush time!
-----

“Ah, Private. There you are.” Aldarus and Indira looked up from their conversation to find two people standing in the doorway. The speaker was a heavyset, dark-skinned woman in uniform, a flamepiece clipped to her waist and a stern expression on her face – one that betrayed a hint of amusement as she continued. “I’m afraid Doctor Croft has need of your expertise.” Behind her, the thin doctor gave a tentative salute and a rueful smile.

Gallen stood smoothly, nodding to the two. “Lieutenant Yumis, Doctor Croft. I’d be glad to help. What seems to be the trouble?”

“It’s a little embarrassing, actually.” Doctor Croft scratched the back of his head. “I seem to have forgotten the passcode to the infirmary – it’s locked me out. I’m not sure where Doctor Lanyard is, but I expect she’s working and didn’t hear the chime.” He smiled again, and shrugged. “So I need a security officer to open the door for me, and Corporal Kaltos is giving the commander his debriefing, and….” He trailed off. “I’m really sorry about this.”

Gallen chuckled, and nodded. “Don’t worry about it. Lieutenant, would you mind keeping an eye on Miss Galas while we’re gone?”

“Sure. My shift’s not for a few hours.” The lieutenant nodded easily. “Tell Lanyard to pay attention to her chimes next time.”

“Yes, ma’am.” With a crisp salute, Gallen and Croft headed out the door. Yumis sank into the chair Gallen had just abandoned with a snort.

“Pride of the Imperium, my ass.” She glanced over at Indira. “This sort of thing happen in the New Realm?”

“I think it happens everywhere.” Indira chuckled faintly, and Yumis nodded to her. “So, uh, you’re the head of the security department, aren’t you? Don’t you have the passcodes?”

“Hmph, Gallen’s been chatty, has he?” Yumis half-smiled, and shrugged. “I’m the head of the division, but I’m still gunnery. Only actual security personnel have all the keycodes – well, them and the Captain. I have to order one of my subordinates if I want to open doors.” She shook her head slowly. “Bureaucracy. Another one of those universal constants.”

“Yeah.” Indira shook her head, then sighed. “I don’t get why everyone here is being so nice. I mean, yes, I’m in a prison, but I expected more “the prisoner will be quiet” and less gossip.”

“I could go that route, if you like.” Yumis turned a glare on Indira, who swallowed heavily. Then the gunnery officer broke into a grin. “I’m kidding you. It’s not my style.” She sat back in the seat. “Look, we’re all grunts here. It’s not like this is a Hunt ship. One soldier’s a lot like another. Just because you were born somewhere else, and that somewhere’s our major enemy? Doesn’t mean a lot out here.” She grinned. “I’ve fought alongside New Realmers before a few times. There was a Hrugga infestation a year or so back, and it was a New Realm warship that answered the first distress call. Saved a few thousand Imperium lives, lost a few of their own doing it. Damn fine crew. High command can talk all they like about politics or enemies, but we’re Wyldfarers first. Everyone’s a big family out in the chaos.”

“That’s a nice way of looking at things.” Indira laid back on her pallet, looking up at the ceiling. “I’ll try to hold onto that, for the voyage at least.”

Down the hall and around the corner, Gallen and Croft were standing by the infirmary doors. Gallen was shaking his head in amusement. “I can’t believe you actually forgot the medical code, Jusef.”

“Guess I’ve been distracted, lately.” Croft shook his head. “I’m having a hard time with the Captain being gone. What do you think they’ll do when we get back?”

“Put someone new in his place.” Gallen shrugged. “Everyone on this ship is going places, Croft. Towards a better post, or towards retirement. I can’t imagine that they hadn’t planned for the possibility that the Captain would throw in the towel some time soon. Probably weren’t expecting him to die, but…” He broke off. “That’s odd.”

“What?” Croft leaned in to look.

“Code’s not working.” Gallen shifted and twisted the crystal matrix beside the door. “It’s under a security lockdown. Stealth.” He frowned. “Kaltos and I are the only people who can do that. Why would Kaltos lock the infirmary?”

“I don’t know. That’s kind of… weird.” Croft looked around nervously. “Should we ask him?”

“No, I want to know what’s going on. Fortunately, Kaltos never changes his configurations.” With a mischievous smile, Gallen quickly rearranged three of the crystals, bringing them into a new alignment. A moment later, the door hissed open, and he started through. “See? You just need to oh my Dragons.” He backpedaled quickly, face going green. Croft pushed past him as he was violently ill in the passageway.

A moment later, having gotten himself under control, Gallen joined his compatriot. “Is she…?”

“Dead. Very much so.” Croft was looking like he was having trouble maintaining his composure. “It’s horrible. I served on a medical ship, once, and we found survivors of a Chaos Seer raid. Even that was nothing like… who could have done this? Who would be capable?” Croft looked over at the door controls with sudden suspicion. “Could Kaltos…?”

“I don’t know. Maybe he found it, and that’s what he was going to tell the Captain. I can imagine not wanting anyone to see this.” Gallen shook his head. “It looks like… like the crew back on that planet, but a dozen times worse. That thing couldn’t have survived, but… oh, Dragons.”

“We need to talk to the Commander.” Croft’s nervousness was vanishing under a haze of urgency. “If it’s Kaltos that did this, we might have to help him…”

Gallen nodded faintly, and the two hurried towards the bridge.
Last edited by Friv on 23 Oct 2008, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Derelict II: Gaze of the Abyss (Part 3)

18 Oct 2008, 01:01

As they say, "Knowing that there is a problem is half the solution." Lets just hope the other half of the solution can be carried out by a Dragon-Blooded and some heroic mortals.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

18 Oct 2008, 14:14

Yes, help him. Into the airlock, and out of the ship.
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

18 Oct 2008, 17:50

Dinosaur wrote:
Yes, help him. Into the airlock, and out of the ship.

The "him" they're referring to is the Commander, not Kaltos. ;)

Dangers of using an impersonal pronoun in that situation.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".