Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Thirty-Six: The Final Players

03 Nov 2008, 00:32

The tunnels were dark and grim, and Draniel felt a shiver of something approaching concern as he strode down them. If his information was accurate, he should be no more than a few hours out from the city-father Hath. He had already destroyed three patrols, and killed two more Alchemical Exalts, on his journey in, and had expected the remainder of his trip to be a difficult task clogged with the suspicious eyes of his enemies. Instead, the tunnels were silent, save for the distant churning of some great force echoing through the pipes, and the only forces that he needed to avoid were the occasional throngs of the dead that passed through.

The feeling that something was terribly wrong had been intensifying gradually over the last two days, as near as he could tell, of travel. Even from what little he understood of the Machine God's realm, he did not expect shadowlands to form so close to Patropoli. It made his job simpler, for he had no fear of the dead. But still... with effort, he shrugged the thought from his mind. Soon, Hath would lie destroyed, and the matter would no longer have any importance.

“I wouldn't bet on it.”

Draniel stiffened, falling into a combat stance as he slid his claws from their place at his side. In the dim light cast by his caste mark, he saw a black-robed figure step out from the shadows, arms hanging loosely by its side. As it stepped forwards into the clear, it resolved itself into the figure of a man, his face concealed behind a smiling black mask, hair swept back beneath the hood of his cloak, which flowed to the ground and faded with the shadows that already pooled there. It took another moment for Draniel to recognize his vague translucence, as the stranger raised one hand nonthreateningly. “Easy, Paladin. I'm no enemy, and you're going to need your Essence soon.”

Draniel's eyes remained narrowed, and he did not shift position. “Who are you, and what did you mean by your statement?”

There was a throaty chuckle behind the mask. “Short and to the point. I like that.” The stranger shrugged. “My name is not important – but you can call me the Third. I am a servant of Setesh, the Black King of the Underworld. Perhaps you have heard of him?” Draniel nodded warily, and the Third continued. “Good. He has sent me here to help you, knowing that you will die without us.”

“And why should Setesh care about my fate?” Draniel paused a moment. “And how could you even get here?”

“One question at a time, please! Dragons, you pile them on.” The Third shrugged again. “The easy answer first. As Autochthon dies, his lower passages are finding their way to the Maw of Oblivion. If you are talented, skilled, and tenacious, and if you know the paths, you can make the journey. As it happens, I have all four of those traits.” He stepped forwards cautiously. “As to the second, it is simple. Setesh has only one desire – that Creation and the Underworld not fall into Oblivion. He assured me that guiding you, and helping you destroy Hath, would be the only way for this to happen.”

“Why?”

“Search me. I'm just the servant.” The Third shrugged yet again. “And to answer your first question, I've been trailing you for a few hours. You're losing your caution, getting cocky. I can tell you're starting to think this won't be hard. And I wouldn't bet on that.” He leaned forwards conspiratorally. “Hath is a powerful patropolis, and he knows enemies are coming. He doesn't know it's you, but if you walk in now, you'll fall right into his trap.”

“And I suppose you have a suggestion.” Sarcasm dripped from Draniel's voice. The Third ignored it.

“As a matter of fact, I do. Did you know that there are four Solars less than an hour behind you?” As Draniel's eyes widened, the Third nodded reflectively. “I thought you didn't. Let them go first. They're the ones Hath expects to trap and kill. If you follow them, you can wait for Hath to crush them, then strike him while he's distracted and weak.” The Third shrugged. “I came to tell you, and to offer you aid in the Patropolis's destruction.”

Draniel studied the ghost closely, turning his Charms to dissect every word he spoke. Try as he might, he could find no falsehood in it, and he knew of no tricks a ghost could use to deceive his ears. For several moments, he thought over the proposal, as the Third stood patiently and waited. Finally, he replied. “And you believe you can help me fight an elder Exalt, even one of these weak mechanical constructs?”

“Don't underestimate them. The ones you've been fighting were geared for tunnel-clearing. Hath will be primed for Exalt-killing. It's a big difference.” The ghost remained calm. “But yes, I can lend a hand. Couldn't take it down myself, of course, but Setesh gave me quite a bit of power for this little assignment.” He paused expectantly. “So? What do you say?”

“Very well. But at the first hint of treachery, I will destroy you.” Draniel gestured for the Third to lead the way, and the ghost cheerfully obliged.

“No treachery. I'll keep that in mind. Now, if you'll just follow me, I know a good shortcut to where we can get above them and follow at a distance...” The Third sauntered down the corridor, with Draniel close behind. The tunnel once again fell silent.

Then, the wall rippled again, and a second figure stepped out, faintly feminine, clad in a pale white robe with matching mask. It shook its head disapprovingly, murmuring into the darkness. “You always tended to the theatrical, old friend.” Turning, it started down the tunnels, to where four Solars approached. The Third would have to be trusted not to screw this mission up. It was her turn to do what needed to be done.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Thirty-Six: The Final Players

03 Nov 2008, 01:28

Well, this could end up going either way.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

03 Nov 2008, 17:34

Sounds like some Xanatos Gilligan is required.
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

03 Nov 2008, 20:33

....Is that the members of the Dual Monarchy?

...............wait a second, does that mean their plan worked?!?!?

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

04 Nov 2008, 01:45

Icarus: Amibiguity is fun!

Dinosaur: Ok, I know a Xanatos Gambit and a Xanatos Roulette. What's a Xanatos Gilligan?

BrilliantRain: Not quite, but I think you've twigged to the identities of the Second and the Third.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

04 Nov 2008, 10:00

Friv wrote:
Ok, I know a Xanatos Gambit and a Xanatos Roulette. What's a Xanatos Gilligan?

Think about what Gilligan did to every plan to get off the island.
I write stories. No, really.