Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Thirty-Nine: Knock, Knock

08 Nov 2008, 01:54

Who's there? Another episode!
-----
Six figures stood at a tunnel entrance, watching as the paths ahead of them changed from the rough steel of the Reaches to the black glory that was the Patropolis of Hath. Spreading out before them, it towered twenty stories high, gleaming onyx buildings marked off by walls, flickering energy fields, and the low sound of pumping pistons. Smoke drifted from factories towards the refresher fans above, casting the city into shadow, and the buzz of automatons filled the air.

Tenrek shook his head slowly. “We have to get through that?”

“The Soulsteel Caste are wardens and enforcers.” Aegis looked over the city, her interest mixed with disgust. “But there – those factories are not what I would expect. And there is a charnel smell in the air.”

“Necrotech factories, preparing for war. Corpses are turned into war machines for the Sage’s plans.” Jasmine’s glow had faded to nothing, here, and she crouched at the edge of the tunnel, eyes sweeping the city. “You should be grateful. Hath is exporting produced necrotech towards the front lines, and each factory installed is one less security centre we will have to bypass.”

“One might be enough.” Kieran spoke slowly. “I can try to sneak, but I’m not that good…”

“Not a problem.” Alina smiled suddenly. “I’ll run interference. You guys just stay low and sneak as best you can. I’ll pace you, and distract anyone that’s moving in on your position.”

“Be careful. I don’t want to have to explain to Citrios how we broke you.” Fokuf’s voice was light, but his eyes were solemn.

“Not a problem.” With a light salute, Alina backflipped up, landing lightly on a tower. A moment later she was gone, concealed within the shadows. Fokuf glanced away to find Kieran watching the point where she had vanished.

“She’ll be fine.” He grinned, setting into motion. “But we shouldn’t keep her waiting. My lady, if you would?” An extended arm invited Jasmine to take the lead, which she did silently. Moments later, five beings walked the empty streets of Hath.

“Where is everyone?” Tenrek muttered the comment under his breath. Aegis responded seriously.

“Most likely working. This is a reeducation sector. Those within would not be supposed to travel except during shift-change. I imagine there is more movement further east.”

“Not much.” When Aegis glanced over to Jasmine in surprise, the ghost continued. “Hath has killed one in five citizens to date. Only the need to keep up appearances prevents him from doing more, and he has vastly restricted travel to prevent his citizens from recognizing what is happening.”

“Lovely.” Fokuf shook his head. “Anything else we need to know?”

“No.” With that, Jasmine waved the group to silence, and resumed walking.

The journey through the streets of Hath were harrowing. At first, it was quiet enough, but soon enough they began to hear sounds of violence coming from all around them – sudden explosions of sparks, the sound of tramping feet or buzzing rotors, and the occasional scream of metal on metal as a flight of darts flew to miss their mark. Every time, the sounds came from one street over, or several levels up or down. More than once, Jasmine quickly altered her route to avoid one of the danger spots that Alina had just discovered.

It was several minutes later that the group found themselves outside the gleaming soulsteel tower that marked the exact centre of the city. Kieran looked it over dubiously. “Kind of obvious, isn’t it?”

“That is the point, yes.” Jasmine gestured to the massive soulsteel-lined double doors. “Normally, a squad of automatons guard these. And, of course, the doors themselves are immensely old and powerful, immune to all but the most impressive attacks.”

“They’ll be guarded again, soon.” Nia landed lightly beside the group. She was sweating heavily, and several tiny marks dotted her body. Noticing worried looks, she shrugged. “A few drones got a bit too close with lightning nets. I’ll be fine. But we’ve got maybe a minute or two before an army shows up.”

“Then we will make use of it. Everyone, prepare yourselves.” Golden light began to glow as the Solars called upon their Charms. Aegis let the intricate patterns of her anima coalesce around her as she drew her guns, and Jasmine began once again to glow. She then nodded towards the door. “Tenrek, if you would do the honour of knocking?”

“He’ll answer?” Tenrek raised an eyebrow. For a moment, Jasmine just stared at him, and then she shook her head ruefully.

“I am spending too much time around Steel. I meant knock it down.”

“Ah. That, I can do.” Tenrek grinned, cracked his neck, wound up, and slammed his gold-covered fist forwards as hard as he could.

The doors of the tower were forged from soulsteel-reinforced stone, forged in single blocks to ensure that no weakness remained within them. They had resisted the occasional riot, a few minor battles, and a Blight invasion, and although they still bore a small mark from where a nephwrack had attempted in vain to batter them down with a grand daiklave before being stopped, they were otherwise smooth and unworn.

Tenrek’s fist struck the door dead centre. With a phenomenal crack, the door split down the middle. The others ducked for cover as shards of soulsteel and stone flew in every direction, as the doors collapsed downwards onto themselves. When the dust cleared, all that was left was a pile of shattered rubble.

Fokuf grinned. “I love it when he does that.”

-----

(And just to prove I spent too much time thinking about this: the doors of Hath's tower are immensely powerful. They have 30B/L soak, 15/30 health levels, and are immune to Piercing damage. Also 30 hardness.

Tenrek has Smashfists (+7B) and Strength 5, plus Solar Hero Style and Infinite MA Mastery for +8 dice to his Dex + MA 8 (+Spec 1, Artifact 2) for 20 total dice. On an average roll, he scores 10 successes, dealing +20 damage through his Form charm. Sledgehammer Fist Punch then augments his 32B damage to 64 damage, destroying the door completely in one hit.

Solar Hero Style. When that wall just needs to go.)
Last edited by Friv on 08 Nov 2008, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Thirty-Nine: Knock, Knock

08 Nov 2008, 09:25

Quibble: would it not sound better to say that Tenrek cracked his neck? We normally think of that being an impressive spectacle, like the Agent Smith vs Neo fights from the first movie. Cracked his skull sounds, well, like he's in need of anti-inflammatories of the strongest variety, and bandages.

Other than that, more solid than the door was.
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

08 Nov 2008, 11:35

Whoops! Neck was what was meant, yes. Apparantly, my new schtick is messing up one word near the end of a part. ;)

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

08 Nov 2008, 13:46

I'm really looking forward to the next installment :)
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

08 Nov 2008, 18:54

Very nice. Though I doubt you needed to explain that Tenrek was more than capable of sundering that door. Regardless, I loved it.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Shutsumon
Essence 3
Essence 3
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Melee

09 Nov 2008, 13:12

I'm really enjoying this, and it's nice to see Steel and Jasmine again.

Becky
"The illegal immigrants from Normandy have resisted attempts to put them in deportation camps and a pitch battle has broken out near Hastings. Embroiderers have sent us these pictures."

My Writing Blog | My Twitter

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

10 Nov 2008, 01:20

DPM: Most likely I didn't, but I spent rather too much time thinking about whether it was possible for him to do it. ;)

Icarus, Shutsumon: Thank you both. Glad you're enjoying the story so far, and the next installment should be up at some point tomorrow. :D