Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Forty-Six: Exchanging Words

03 Jan 2009, 01:59

The Harvester of Severed Shades opened her eyes with a soft groan, twisting in place to turn her head away from the morning sunlight streaming through the window. “What…” She broke off, looking around in confusion, mind fuzzy, trying to place what felt wrong.

“I see you’re awake.” The voice, firm and faintly amused, came from one side of the room, and she looked over in surprise as the problem came home. She wasn’t in a shadowland. Which meant that she wasn’t in Skullstone. She looked over at Mnemon, who was quietly sitting in a chair beneath a large window, reading.

“This has got to be a trick.” Muttering the phrase, Harvester tried to sit up. Almost immediately, she groaned again.

“I wouldn’t. According to my physician, you are fortunate to be alive.” Mnemon finally looked up from the book, turning in her chair to face the young Abyssal. “You’ve been unconscious for over a day.”

Harvester frowned. “Now I know it’s a trick. The real Mnemon would never let someone look at me. He’d figure out what I am.”

Mnemon snorted. “You clearly have centuries to go to match wits with me. You think I actually trust my medical expertise to a being I can’t bind magically? My physician is a wood elemental.”

“Oh.” Harvester considered that a moment, studying Mnemon carefully. “Why am I alive?”

“You were still useful to me.” Mnemon returned her attention to the book.

“And that’s why you’re sitting by my bedside?”

“No, that is because there are only so many rooms I could safely hide you in while you healed.” Mnemon sighed, closing the book. “I can see that I’m not going to get my reading done until you’ve finished yammering, though. Do you have any other foolish questions?”

There was a faint warning tone to her words, and Harvester took it to heart. “No, ma’am. Thank you, ma’am.”

Mnemon nodded, satisfied. “Good. Now, I have a question of my own. Was it really him?”

Harvester didn’t need to ask who. “Or else someone who was an exceptional fake. I can’t imagine them tricking Ten Thousand Virtues, and I can’t imagine another reason for them to be talking. I know they didn’t know I was there at first.”

“Hmm.” Mnemon considered a moment, and then nodded. “I thought as much.”

Harvester lay back down on the bed with a sigh. “Have you already gotten rid of Sorrow? I wouldn’t mind watching that treacherous bastard get his…”

“No one is ‘getting rid’ of Sorrow.” Harvester shot up again, wincing as she pulled her newly-healing muscles. Mnemon sighed heavily. “Honestly, I don’t know why I bother. Figure it out.” Harvester stared at her a moment, and she almost growled out the answer. “Think. How do I get into the Imperial Manse if the only two people who know the secrets I’m missing are dead or a Deathlord? You don’t expect me to take the Bodhisattva into the Manse with me, do you? No, Harvester, in one hour’s time Sorrow and I will be venturing into the Imperial Manse together, and I expect to have him well in hand.”

“No, but… you can’t possibly… milady!” Harvester stammered. “Ma’am, with due respect, I’m not sure you realize how dangerous the Prince is. This isn’t like dealing with enemy Dynasts or petty kings. He’s older than you. He’s smarter than you. He knows you better than you know yourself. You literally cannot make a single move that he will not anticipate, and he will have given Sorrow everything he needs to destroy you. If you let him into the Imperial Manse, he will destroy everything.”

Mnemon looked at her frostily, and for a moment Harvester thought she had taken one step too far. She winced, dropping her eyes hastily. “Begging your pardon, ma’am. I just don’t want you to…”

”Why not?” Mnemon’s voice was as still as the grave. Harvester looked up slowly. “I pressed you into service, and you seek the death of all things. What do you care if the Silver Prince destroys me? You should welcome it.”

“Well, I just… that is…” Harvester paused, took a deep breath, and went out on a limb. “I understand you, ma’am. The Mask never wanted the end of all things. He wanted power. He wanted prestige. All of this, what I am, that was just a means to an end for him.” She hesitated again. “You’re like him. You want it all, and you know how to get it. But the Silver Prince wants to destroy everything, and that’s a lot harder to deal with. And Sorrow betrayed the Mask to die, when he found out about his weakness. I don’t want him to win.”

“Hmph.” Mnemon rose smoothly. Harvester cringed back against the bed as the Empress strode over, her eyes flinty. “I’m like him, am I? A short-sighted fool scrabbling for power at the cost of the world? It’s good to know what you think of me.” Her jaw set, she strode to one wall, savagely pulling open the door of the cabinet that occupied it. Harvester winced as it slammed into the marble wall, its handle spreading cracks across the smooth finish.

“Ma’am, I didn’t mean…”

“I don’t really care.” Firmly, Mnemon pulled a wrapped package out of the cabinet, closing the door with the sound of splintering wood. “Since you’re clearly feeling well enough to form opinions, I assume that you will be well enough to make a delivery for me in three hours. I would give it to someone else, but it is tied up in this business, and the fewer who know about that, the better.” She tossed the package on the bed. “Do not open it. If you do, it will engulf you in flame.”

“What is it?” Harvester watched the package as if it were about to attack her. “And deliver it to whom?”

“To V’Neef. As for what it is… well. It’s everything.”

Harvester stared at Mnemon, who gave her a dispassionate look back. “Everything?”

“Where the Monstrances are, how to enter the Imperial Manse, and my suspicions regarding Sorrow. I don’t have to make any changes, since you agree with me. I’m sure she’ll find it interesting reading.”

“Ma’am…” Harvester was speechless. “With this… if the Deliberative gets ahold of this information, you will never keep the throne. You won’t even keep your head.”

“More opinions?” Harvester shut her mouth, and Mnemon nodded. “I thought not. If the Deliberative wants to take my head, they’ll just have to try and come inside and get it.” She walked to the door, her anger ebbing, and paused at the doorframe. “I understand your concerns, Harvester. You truly believe that the Silver Prince knows everything that I would do?”

Harvester nodded. “He does.”

“Then I will just have to do something profoundly out of character.” With those parting words, Mnemon strode from the room.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Age Of Blood And Bone, Part Forty-Six: Exchanging Words

03 Jan 2009, 11:26

"Hey, little sister, want to here something really crazy?"
I write stories. No, really.

Icarus
Essence 4
Essence 4
Title: Azure Dragon
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded

03 Jan 2009, 13:31

That's actually very clever on Mnemon's part. If she were to do something selfless or compassionate for instance, not even an Intelligence 10 Deathlord would see that coming, not with her history and reputation. Especially not one who's own worldview would preclude the full understanding of Good.

Now, I have no idea what she'll do, but I'm hoping for a fun redemption! Friv, I really like your version of Mnemon.
"But, oh! Those days! How I would love to have lived them, even if it were only to be slain on the first!"

Anteros
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Yozilicious
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Poke Them In The Eye Style
Artifact: Pernicious Delight [Hellstrider]

03 Jan 2009, 18:59

I wonder what Mnemon intends to do. I really hope she survives this.
The best custom D&D setting[color=#FF0000] EVER[/color]: [url]http://www.sigilprep.com/[/url]

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

03 Jan 2009, 20:50

I think she already did something profoundly out of character. She is intending to give up her power to V'Neef and I suspect that she might well be intending to kill Sorrow via a self destruction spell or something.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

04 Jan 2009, 09:11

A Deathlord (or anyone) with an intellect that high who had been playing 'the game' as it were for that long would most definitely anticipate someone of Mnemons caliber to do something out of character when they least expect it. However, how much faith they place on it is another story. Bringing V'Neef in on it is a power play in my thinking - by informing V'Neef and leaving a paper trail Mnemon also incriminates V'Neef by letting her know about it. When the remainder of the Deliberative finds out it'll be a varitable witch hunt for the both of them, V'Neef is more accessible and as she takes the fall (whether she wanted too or not) the deliberative is busy with her while Mnemon's busy inside the Imperial Manse. Or if V'neef is exceedingly smart - she wont open that bit of correspondance and can play the ignorance card. Just what I think.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

05 Jan 2009, 01:14

Dinosaur: It would be a good sibling freak-out moment. ;)

Icarus: The 'worldview' thing is her shot at success, yeah. The Deathlords don't usually think in terms of people becoming better people, only becoming worse. If it's enough... well, time will tell how well Mnemon can change her spots.

Anteros: Glad you're interested - it's the purest flattery for me. :D

BrilliantRain: Also good thoughts. >:)

DPM: While it could be seen that way, it's also an immense moment of trust. If V'Neef reads the package, she could instantly bring everything in it to the Deliberative, and be ready to throw Mnemon off the throne as soon as she gets home. Mnemon has just given her sister the single biggest political weapon imaginable, and it remains to be seen how a bomb like that will be used.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".