Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age of Blood And Bone, Part Fifty: Writing On The Wall

01 Feb 2009, 00:38

As we continue the roundup of our final scenes, we return to two characters you haven't seen in a while. ;)
-----

Several Days Ago

The flickering firelight cast shadows on the wall, shadows that twisted and danced in time to a rhythm born of hate and pain. The walls themselves were reduced to rubble, the ceiling above broken over most of the room, as the woman sat on the ground in the ruins of what had been the mighty city of the Lap, dust trailing through her fingers.

“May I join you?” He spoke humbly, bowing his head as he approached from the right. The shadows coiled towards him for a moment, then went still.

“Could I stop you?” She did not look up. “I could break every bone in your body before you could blink, little man, but I feel that wouldn’t dissuade you.”

“Now, that’s not fair. I have quite a lot of combat skills, you know. I think I could probably blink at least three or four times.” Shrugging, Thetram Nash pushed aside the door still leaning halfheartedly in its frame, and took a seat carefully on a ruined outcropping that had once been a load-bearing stone wall. He raised his hands in supplication, reaching to find a miraculously undamaged teapot in the rubble. “I have tea, if you will take it.”

“Hmph.” The brush of a hand sent the teapot crashing to the floor – Nash reached out with his foot, hooking the handle, a moment before it could shatter. “Clearly you are aware of my oath. Do not flaunt it, or I will attempt to torture you for the information I seek. It might be unlikely that you have it, but the chance will allow me to hurt you very badly.”

“You don’t have the calm grace that I remember, Empress of All.” Nash bowed his head again. “The Empress I once saw on her throne kept her threats veiled.”

“The Empress you once saw is dead, and I have risen in her place. It is a habit I have.” Leaning back, the Shadow Phoenix regarded her unwelcome visitor thoughtfully, and he watched her in return. Even now, disheveled and listless, a tattered red cloak curled tight around her ebon robes, he could see hints of the beauty and power that had captivated thousands, built an empire, and held the world by the throat for seven hundred years. Tainted she might be, but the former Scarlet Empress had lost none of her power. “You are a Sidereal.”

“Guilty as charged. And you are waiting for Tepet Fokuf to return.” Pulling two cups out of his sleeves, Nash set about pouring tea, sending warmth into the cups with a whispered word. “It’s a good plan. He left from here, he will surely return this way. You can sit and rest without endangering your oath, and none of those who fought over this city have been willing to face you.”

“What do you want?” The Empress took one of the cups cautiously. “If you have come here to mock me, I would advise against it. The only reason you are still intact enough for speech is that this task of waiting is proving tedious.”

“I did not, Empress. I came to talk. Think of it as a chance to win a convert, although I admit I don’t find it likely. I came to try and understand why the greatest hero Creation has ever known sided with the Yozi against her children.”

“Because I am the greatest hero Creation has ever known.” The Empress took a sip of the tea, and paused appreciatively. “A Dusat blend.”

“It has always been my favorite of the Shadowed Coast blends. Nellens Dusat remains a paragon in the field.”

“She still lives, then? That is good. I always liked her.” The Empress sipped from the tea. “She sent me the first blend every year, long after it was politically needed. Courting my favor, I’m sure, but a kind gesture.” She took another sip. “I would have expected politics to have destroyed her by now.”

“Quite a lot of people like her tea. Anyone that moved against her would have found an unlikely alliance rising to destroy them.” Nash smiled faintly. “It is the way of the Realm.”

“The way of the Realm is to praise you for your sins and destroy you for your virtues.” The Empress set her tea down. “I suppose it makes sense that they would protect her for their own vices.”

“You have a low opinion of the Dynasty you forged.”

“I forged it in error. By the time I saw what I had created, it was too late to undo the damage.” The Empress sat back reflectively. “I tried, I suppose, with V’Neef. But the seeds had been planted centuries before. And in the end, there is only so much that one can do when working with the tainted weapons of the gods.”

“But if that is so, then this plan is doomed as well.” Nash calmly collected the Empress’s teacup. “You are using the Exalted as the centerpiece of your current plan, and if they were unfit before, they will be unfit forever.”

“Is that what you believe?” The Empress chuckled. Nash raised an eyebrow.

“Of course. Exaltations are inviolable. The Yozi cannot change their basic natures.” But even as he spoke the words that he knew to be true, Nash was considering, hesistating.

For a moment, it looked like the Empress was about to rise, to strike. Then she sighed. “It doesn’t matter anymore. Sacheverell deceived me and destroyed my children, and that Solar unmade my vengeance. I was to have been the greatest of the Conduits, leading an entire empire against my enemies, visiting pain and vengeance upon all of the world. Instead, I am the least of them, left to lurk in the remains of this city because those who control it don’t consider me worth their effort.” She laughed wryly. “A fitting end, I suppose, for one who never deserved her power.”

“Great Empress, that hardly seems…”

“Go.” The Empress waved a hand. “Before my better judgment overcomes me, and I remove another one of Gaia’s curs from the world. Thank you for the tea, Master Sidereal, and leave me to my wait.”

“Very well, Empress.” Nash rose, bowing low. “Perhaps we will meet again.”

“If we do, it will most likely be as enemies. Leave me. Go annoy someone else.”

Nash bowed again, and respectfully backed away from the room. The shadows on the wall launched into a frenzy, reaching to strike after him, to tear him apart, and she still them with a thought. She felt the nature of her link strain for a moment, as the Ebon Dragon’s desire to destroy swept through her, and she shrugged it off. “It might have been nice to make him suffer, yes. A pleasant distraction. But then, he did bring us tea. And I can sense doubts within him, a deep uncertainty. He may yet prove more damaging to Gaia’s cause than I could ever be.”

The shadows were not convinced, but they went still. She was still a part of their master.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

Re: Age of Blood And Bone, Part Fifty: Writing On The Wall

01 Feb 2009, 10:28

Hee! Nash.

I liked this chapter, though it was oddly kind of... I don't know if depressing is the right word. Forlorn, maybe? Never expected to feel sorry for the Empress, that's for sure. Though I find it appropriate on some level that a friendly discourse between two enemies took place over tea (given my primary Sidereal NPC's philosophy that tea makes everyone zen).
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

01 Feb 2009, 11:45

Very interesting conversation. It implies much about why the Empress did what she did but doesn't give it away yet. It seems that several of the people involved in this are playing a deeper game than the others.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

01 Feb 2009, 16:54

And we see, again, Nash narrowly avoids dying. ^VVVV^
I write stories. No, really.

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

01 Feb 2009, 21:54

Kailan: Forlorn is exactly what I was going for, so I'm glad it came across. :D

BrilliantRain: Yeah, there are deep games being played, and as this is the beginning of the end, everything's gradually boiling to the surface.

Dinosaur: It does seem to be his talent. Let's see if he can keep doing it.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Morninglight
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Artifact: Silver Brush

02 Feb 2009, 00:33

Kill the Empress!

*cough*Solarmoment*cough*.
My fiction: Please read it and leave feedback, or you'll make this poor Aspergers girl cry.

http://www.thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2798

War Games: DotFA series:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6885