Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Age of Blood And Bone, Part 53: Unholy Alliance

03 Mar 2009, 02:19

Urgh, I'm bad at updating twice a week like I want to. Bad Friv.
-----

Sunlight filtered into the room, passing over the forms of the four great people gathered within. Standing at the head of the table, Harakken Cyrus looked over his compatriots one at a time, thoughtfully. As he glanced over Iselsi Thelos, he couldn't quite keep a frown from his face. His old friend still couldn't truly explain what had happened to Adorjan, and the storm that had shaken the Demon City to its foundations was clearly fresh on the minds of the others present, who kept darting sidelong glances at the old monk as if to assure themselves that he wasn't about to do something else unprecedented. Adorjan herself was as silent as ever with her tears spent, and Cyrus wondered if she could still be relied upon. Consideration reassured him, as Thelos met his glance and inclined his head slightly. He understood the stakes involved.

His gaze shifted to the others. Sillia Sword-Dancer had not deigned to sit in the simple chairs that Cyrus had provided – her tastes ran much more towards the grandiose, something she shared with her patron. Wesmaken, the Father of Multitudes, spoke through her frequently and with great disdain; he had long considered Malfeas to be an upstart, and only his natural wariness of Sacheverell's power had kept him from attempting to seize control of this alliance. Still, while they were arrogant, they understood the value of Creation and the need for sacrifice. She was pliable.

Parakk the Bold, by contrast, was happy for a seat. Cytheria's champion had devastated the fleets of Skullstone and Coral, but the cost had been high, and he was showing signs of exhaustion. Cyrus reflected that the boy had no concept of how to pace himself – not a great surprise, he supposed, but something that would have to be watched. A similar issue was the way that Parakk and Sillia carefully avoided each others' eyes – Wesmaken and Cytheria's hatred of one another had not dimmed, and their Conduits were being extremely careful not to incite their patrons to violence. They could be managed. But if there was to be trouble, it would come from Parakk.

“When do we leave?” Sillia spoke up abruptly, looking at the others. “Everyone is here. We're ready to attack. Why not do it quickly, before the others realize we've gone? If Gaia's alliance discovers that we've left our flanks undefended...”

“It has been taken care of.” Cyrus smiled paternally, letting a whisper of Essence calm her nerves. “We are merely waiting for our final allies.” He chuckled. “We are attacking the Jade Pleasure Dome, Sillia. Even if the gods cannot attack us directly, it will take all of our power to shatter the defenses that have been laid around it.”

“Then where are they?” Parakk grimaced. “You've been damned evasive about these so-calld allies of yours. Who are they? Deathlords? They had better not be Deathlords.”

“No. Sacheverell would never work with such debased creatures.” Cyrus hesitated a moment. “Hopefully, they will arrive soon. As you say, we do not have much time before...”

As if on cue, the doorway blew open in a gust of wind. Everyone turned, eyes widened in shock, as four newcomers marched into the room. Parakk's voice caught as he went for his sword.

“Gaia!”

Standing at the forefront of the quartet, Serafin's gaze swept the room. To her right, the Perfect of Paragon held his staff close, eyes narrowed as he watched the assembly. On Serafin's left, Wind Dancer stood lightly, a spear held in one hand and ready to throw. In the rear of the four, Tide Star lurked, his grey robes cascading over the feet of his companions.

Serafin's jaw clenched as she settled on Cyrus. “Harakkin Cyrus.”

Cyrus bowed. “Serafin Ordered-Chaos. We meet at last.”

“You killed my daughter, you bastard.”

There was a brief hesitation, and then Cyrus nodded. “I did. I killed a great many people that I was very fond of, in fact, in order to reach this point.” His eyes met Serafin's. “Are you going to try and take revenge against me?”

Serafin took a deep breath. Her eyes closed for a moment. “Revenge wouldn't bring her back.”

Cyrus's voice grew softer. “I'm sorry, Serafin. But we have all made terrible sacrifices to reach this point. You must know that I do not make them lightly.”

“I know.” Serafin swallowed heavily, and she bowed her head. “I have come with Gaia's response, as promised. The four of us have agreed. Creation is in terrible danger from the Neverborn, and from the Yozi who cannot see through to the light. Even if we win this war, corruption would only tear the world apart again.” She looked up. “So even though you betrayed us once, and sent your minion to destroy our brother, we are carrying through with our part of the agreement. Gaia, She Who Lives In Her Name, Zuratha and Cecelyne have come to join your cause.”

There was dead silence in the room. Parakk broke it with blinding speed. “WHAT?” He roared. “Sacheverell, how can you even consider working with the Traitors?!”

Cyrus gave him a withering look. “Because all of this, we owe to her.” He smirked. “Did you really think I had deciphered the Sutras alone? Gaia has been helping me for centuries.” His voice dropped dangerously. “And if she can set aside her personal animosities until Creation is safe, you damned well can too. Did you think this was going to be easy? We must all make sacrifices, Cytheria. Or will you stand there and say that after the pain the rest of us have suffered, you are too proud to do the same?”

“I...” Parakk sagged back into his chair. “I suppose...” He mumbled. “I will work with her.”

“Good.” Cyrus returned his attention to Serafin. “I am sorry about Autochthon. But my belief was that he was too damaged to be of use, and that he could be prevented from becoming a Neverborn only if he died away from Creation. I was wrong.”

“Don't sugar-coat it, Cyrus. You don't need to protect me.” Thelos spoke up suddenly. He raised his head to look at Serafin. “It was my doing. Sacheverell counseled against the mission, but Adorjan would not be swayed, and so he went along with it in the name of unity.” He stood slowly. “I wasn't aware he was changing sides.”

“Neither is he, yet.” Serafin shrugged. “I understand. And I'm sorry for the loss of your Paladin.”

“Thank you.” Thelos stepped away from the table. “Very well. If we've established that everyone here hates everyone else, and that we're working together anyway, shall we get going?”

“Of course.” Wind Daughter bowed. “If you will gather, Cecelyne will transport us to the gates of the Pleasure Dome. From there, we are on our own.”

“Eight Conduits together. What is going to stop us?” Sillia smiled crookedly.

As the eight gathered, their positions left Serafin and Cyrus standing next to each other. Serafin smiled, hissing between her teeth. “When this is over, and Gaia doesn't need me anymore, I may still kill you.”

Cyrus smiled sadly. “When this is over, and Sacheverell doesn't need me anymore, I may let you.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Age of Blood And Bone, Part 53: Unholy Alliance

03 Mar 2009, 11:38

.......Ok, So they are going to attack the Jade Pleasure Dome and......wait.........Is that what this whole thing was about?

Interesting......I think I may have finally figured out one of your plot twists.

There are only two things of importance in the Dome: The Gods/Incarna and the Games. Gaia could have taken out the Incarna any time she wanted, so....

Either they are there to steal back the cosmic PS-Wii-Box 1,000,000 or destroy it.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

03 Mar 2009, 14:00

My money is on destroying it. Gaia knows how addictive the Games of Divinity are since she was there from the beginning. It's feasible to say that the Incarna know how addictive it is having watched their creators play it before the 1st Age and now dont care so much as they are addicts themselves and can do little about it - it's much too to pass up. However, another possible approach is to assassinate the Incarna while they enjoy their time with the Games of Divinity. Eight Conduits backed by the Mother of Creation could easily get in with little or no resistance at all if they pass under the guise as her entourage.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

03 Mar 2009, 14:03

The long wait for their new shows to come on finally got them? Well, I suppose if their prison is cushy, they won't want to leave.
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

03 Mar 2009, 17:51

Deaths Pale Mistress wrote:
My money is on destroying it. Gaia knows how addictive the Games of Divinity are since she was there from the beginning. It's feasible to say that the Incarna know how addictive it is having watched their creators play it before the 1st Age and now dont care so much as they are addicts themselves and can do little about it - it's much too to pass up. However, another possible approach is to assassinate the Incarna while they enjoy their time with the Games of Divinity. Eight Conduits backed by the Mother of Creation could easily get in with little or no resistance at all if they pass under the guise as her entourage.

Keep in mind that these guys are, essentially, part of the Yozies. If they wanted to kill the Incarna, the Incarna wouldn't be able to lift a finger against them, due to the whole geas thing. Heck, Gaia is already in there. If she wanted the Incarna dead, she could kill them with a word.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

04 Mar 2009, 01:24

Wow, I got spoiler texts. :)

Some very good guesses all around. They will be answered quite soon, assuming that I actually post the stories in anything like the speed that I should. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Deaths Pale Mistress
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Deathlord-Empress of the Underworld
Exalt: Ghost
Fighting Style: Close-quarters combat
Artifact: The Kiss of Midnight

04 Mar 2009, 10:35

Rain: I would think that if the Yozi's attacked the Incarna that the Incarna would be able to defend themselves from attack. I recall the Great Geas laid against them stated that they couldnt 'overtly' attack the Primordials, I saw nothing about defending themselves.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.