Topic Author
Title: That Thing
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: SAN-blasting
Artifact: Dividing By 0

CreationBound - Chapter 9

08 Jun 2009, 10:12

“Assumptions”

Revelry and partying continued for the day and through the night. So grateful were the fisherman and farmers of the village for being saved, that the next morning Boke Kin and Meihi were offered a pair of horses to speed them on their journey. They graciously accepted. Into the rising sun they rode, following the river and skirting the lands of death. Towards the famed city of Great Forks, city of temples and gods.

“So, were those blooded?” a villager asked as the heroes rode off.

“I think so,” another responded, “one was clearly from the Realm. The other had the look of wood-blood to her.”

“They weren’t exactly equipped like I would have expected...”

“Probably outcastes, proving that the blooded are indeed heroes... it’s the Empire that is decadent and corrupt. Glory to the dragons, and their true champions here in the threshold!” The villagers cheered and then cleared up from the previous day’s festivities. Having never seen the mark of the sun, they had no idea what the nature of their champions was.

Gradually the village faded into the distance. Both warriors galloped their horses across the riverside plains. Wind running through his hair, Boke Kin laughed from atop his steed. “This chosen of the sun stuff if great!” He felt better than he had in a long time, maybe even years. “Those people loved us! I know not everyone will react like that, but it does feel great!”

“What was up with the crying?” Meihi asked in between focusing on steering the horse. She didn’t have the practice riding that Kin had received back home.

Boke Kin shrugged. “I guess I just couldn’t handle seeing more people suffer. Don’t worry, won’t happen again. I’m getting used to this I think.” Together they rode, stopping a few times each day to let their horses rest. The grass at the side of the river provided more than enough food for their mounts, and Meihi did some small game hunting whenever they stopped. Further south, the sight of desolation was ever present. It served as a reminder to Kin of the threats faced when not in the safety of the Blessed Isle.

Two weeks into the journey, Kin and Meihi had stopped around noon to rest. Boke Kin crouched near the edge of the river to wash his face and get a quick drink. After splashing water on his face, feeling the coolness drip down him, Kin looked down into the river. An enormous blue-colored face, long and crowned with horns, stared back up at him. “Wow, surface distortions out here are really pronounced...” Kin remarked. Meihi looked over, and began to shout something when the water surged upward.

An enormous beast, easily over twenty feet long, covered in hard blue scales lunged from the riverbed. Its jaws opened wide like a crocodile’s to reveal rows of dagger-like teeth. Webbed claws slammed down on the ground to either side of Kin. A low hiss came from deep within the animal as it twisted its neck around and snapped down with its massive maw. Kin rolled back out of the way in a display of agility that surprised himself, and the dragon-like creature. It stared down at him and he stared up at it.

Poker swiftly in hand, Boke Kin smacked the iron point into the river-dragon’s front claw. It lifted the claw up and snapped at the air from the pain of his strike. Doing so cost it its balance however, and the animal stumbled and dropped onto its side with a loud crash. “Ha!” Kin shouted victoriously.

“Wait, stop!” Meihi called. She ran over to Kin as the river-dragon began to get back to its feet. “It’s just hungry I bet.” A golden disk began to shimmer on her brow. She walked over to the animal and put a hand on its snout. It hissed slightly, with a somehow sad tone. “It’s okay little guy,” she said to it, “he was just surprised is all. You hungry?” It opened its jaws slightly and hissed expectantly. “Okay, hang on.” Meihi got one of the rabbits she had caught for lunch and tossed it to the river-dragon. It snapped the tiny creature out of the air and swallowed it. “There you go... run along now, we have to eat too.” It turned and slid its massive bulk back into the river. Kin ducked the sweep of its tail as it came about.

“That was startlingly cute,” Kin said. “How did you do that?”

“A trick I learned a while back, one of the many perks of being one of His chosen.” Meihi smiled and started making a small fire to cook the other game she brought back.

Boke Kin stood back up. “Does show me something though, I need a better weapon. Poker has served me well, but...” He started walking over toward Meihi when he suddenly tripped. Agility failing him this time, Kin tumbled down onto his face. “Oww,” he half-heartedly said into the dirt. As he was getting back up he rubbed his nose. “What did I?...” he began and looked back at where he had tripped. Stuck in the ground was some large object. A very small part of what looked like a sword-grip sticking up at an angle amidst the grass.

“Huh, didn’t notice that,” Meihi said as she skinned the food.

“Neither did I...” Kin grabbed onto the grip and started to pull. “In the ground pretty solidly!” he couldn’t manage to move it. So he started digging away at the soil around the object. Hours later he had unearthed an enormous sword. The blade itself was over four feet long and half a foot thick. All together the weapon would be nearly as tall as Kin himself.

“Wow,” he said as he grabbed hold of the grip again and hefted the weapon. “Holy Dragons this thing is heavy!” it took all his strength to pick the weapon up. Momentum didn’t stop and as the weapon swung back past his head, Kin fell backward and landed with a dull thud. “It looks like one of the swords the Blooded use... but it’s got gold inlays and tint to the metal, instead of jade.”

“That’s great,” Meihi replied, “Now come eat something before it gets cold. Wash your hands first, and watch out for river dragons.” She chuckled at his expense, but Kin laughed along as well. “Though it does seem the gods were listening, huh? Well good, a warrior of His should have a greater weapon.”

Boke Kin and Meihi dined on rabbit and squirrel next to the river while Kin idly wiped more sand and dirt from his new sword.
"There was a young lady named bright,
Who could travel much faster than light,
She went out one day,
In a relative way,
And came back the previous night."

Love is never having to say you're sorry. Power is being able to kill anyone who asks for an apology.
Jaito: "Necromancy is like Linux, but even less sociable"
<Logos> The sugar is Asian people.
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, watch it! I'm huge."
Hamster Style / Kitten Style / Hit 'Em With a Rock Style / Newest Icon Full Pic

lumber_of_the_beast
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: The Most Se.... never mind.
Exalt: Abyssal
Fighting Style: Dodge Charms

Re: CreationBound - Chapter 9

11 Jun 2009, 07:45

I vanish for all of three days and find this story already neglected? Shame.

Not as humor-dense as the previous chapters, but that was one of the better artifact acquisition stories I've seen. I'll have to try that one in a game some time.

Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author

11 Jun 2009, 08:34

lumber_of_the_beast wrote:
I vanish for all of three days and find this story already neglected? Shame.

Well, without you around it just wasn't a party.
:nizgrin:
She went out one day,
In a relative way,

Love is never having to say you're sorry. Power is being able to kill anyone who asks for an apology.

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

11 Jun 2009, 08:35

Best artifact discovery ever.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author

13 Jun 2009, 14:10

Kailan wrote:
Best artifact discovery ever.

:lol:
General (non-serious) rationale I've heard for having an artifact without giving an in-game reason is "tripped over it."
Damn sids always leaving daiklaives where people will be walking.
She went out one day,
In a relative way,