Essence 8
Topic Author
Title: That Thing
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: SAN-blasting
Artifact: Dividing By 0

Act 100 - Separate Ways *warning: conclusion content*

08 Jan 2006, 10:35

As far as could be seen in each direction, the ravages of the fey had been cleaned from the land. Pious Crane spoke aloud a prayer to the sun while Saamri and Herros looked on and bowed their heads. Where once the ice and stone fortress had once stood, now were verdant green fields dotted with trees. A hearty congratulations were shared amongst the trio who had defeated the fey lord. Crane spotted several other figures lying about the wide fields however, and pointed them out to his fellows. Not far off, a woman was lying unconscious on the side of a small hill. When the three drew close, Herros suddenly sprinted toward the figure. He lifted the lady from the ground and held her in his arms. “You know her?” Crane asked as he and Saamri caught up. Wordlessly, Herros nodded. Tears had formed in his eyes, and were cascading down his cheeks. He gripped the woman tightly to his chest and rested his head against hers.

“This is my wife,” Herros managed to choke out between tears. Saamri smiled, and lead Crane a short distance away.

“We should give them time,” Saamri said. Crane nodded and they continued to the next figure they could see. It was an infant, wrapped in glittering cloth. Saamri picked the child up and looked it over. It had very pale features, almost sickly, but with long tapered ears and more angular features than normal for a human child. While inspecting it with some confusion, Crane concluded quickly that the fey lord had sired a child, so much the infant resembled the father. Saamri held the child in his left arm, and his right hand suddenly grew claws. He raised his sharpened extremity, and prepared to drive them into the child. Shocked by this behavior, Crane grabbed Saamri’s right arm to stop him. The young warrior glared at Crane and pulled his arm free. “Why did you stop me?” he growled, still bearing claws.

“Why are you trying to kill an infant?” Crane asked pointedly. He crossed his arms over his chest and returned Saamri’s intense stare.

“It’s a fey child. Half of the lord we drove from this place. We cannot allow his spawn to survive!” Saamri almost spat the words out, and the child began to cry. Crane held out his arms, gesturing for the child. After a few moments of hesitation, Saamri handed Crane the baby.

“It has done nothing wrong. But I agree it could be dangerous. So I will keep the child, you needn’t worry.” Crane spoke softly, and rocked the child in his arms to comfort its fear. Saamri paced a few steps away with his back to Crane, then lowered his head.

“You’re a good man Crane,” he said before heading back toward Herros. Crane gave the young hot-blooded warrior a few minutes, which also gave him time to quiet the infant. He then walked over to where Herros was now standing with his wife next to him. She seemed dazed and worn, but otherwise unharmed. Crane bowed slightly to Herros’ wife, but not so far down as to move the child he carried. She returned the polite gesture, and held on to Herros’ arm tightly.

“One of those things took my little girl when it fled,” Herros stated to Crane. “I’m going after her. Will you join me?”

Crane shook his head, “I would, but I must care for this child. However, Saamri might be convinced to help.” Crane grinned at the moon-warrior, who gave him an incredulous look but then smiled likewise.

“I would be honored,” Saamri replied. Herros nodded, and stepped right up to Crane. He extended a hand out, which Crane took in his own. They shared a hearty handshake, and laughed.

“Maybe we will see each other again?” Herros asked.

“I am sure we will,” Crane replied. “Take care of yourself, and your wife.” Crane then turned to Saamri, “Watch after them,” Crane said joyfully, “and be safe.”

“I will take god care of them, but what fun can we have if we stay safe?” Saamri chuckled and dragged Crane into a hug. “Be well my friend.” Crane, Saamri and Herros stood silent for a long moment, then turned to their separate paths. Destiny had smiled on their meeting.

Perhaps they would meet again.

Epilogue:

And so ends the tale of the Iron Lord of the North, an ambitious but ultimately self-defeated tyrant. He lived through his defeat that day, but he was never the same. No longer did he seek to conquer and subjugate. Instead, his shattered soul sought only to destroy that which he had tried so hard to build. He lived on as a wandering agent of ruin, tearing down what men and gods and fey would try to build. Never again would he accomplish what he once had, or have the same power he once possessed. While a danger to those he passed, he could never again be called a blight upon the world. His threat had passed.

Pious Crane set upon a path toward the south, and warmer climates. With him he carried the half-fey child of the iron lord. His mercy was too great to destroy a child for its heritage, and he cared for the infant as though it were his own kin. Herros and Saamri traveled deeper into the wilderness of the North, in search of Herros’ daughter who was kidnapped by a renegade servant of the lord. With them traveled Herros’ wife, who began to learn the arts of combat so she could defend herself on their journey.

Farther south, Fenir and Resira arrived in the threshold of creation and began to make a new life for themselves as self proclaimed outcastes from the Empire. Garnet Sparrow returned to her home in the North, and spent many months rebuilding her life where it had been shattered by her capture and torture by the iron lord. Aiden, the Jade Phoenix, did not return home after leaving to the brothels on the same day he arrived in Nexus. He found himself on a new quest, which took him deeper into the East. The Luminary, once one of the unshaped raksha, began where the iron lord had failed. He began to draw the remnants of the lord’s forces to himself, and organized them under the fey-twins.

All who died to the lord’s ambition, passed on to their next life.
"There was a young lady named bright,
Who could travel much faster than light,
She went out one day,
In a relative way,
And came back the previous night."

Love is never having to say you're sorry. Power is being able to kill anyone who asks for an apology.
Jaito: "Necromancy is like Linux, but even less sociable"
<Logos> The sugar is Asian people.
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, watch it! I'm huge."
Hamster Style / Kitten Style / Hit 'Em With a Rock Style / Newest Icon Full Pic

Elric
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Meglomanical Twilight
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery
Artifact: The Geneforge

08 Jan 2006, 11:04

More please. :wink:

Valheru
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Great High Mistress of the Yuri
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Solar Hero
Artifact: Yurithium Dyklave

08 Jan 2006, 12:34

*Sniffles* Very well done, Niz. It was a long journey, but a good one. ^.^
[22:35] blender_bunny@mac.com: Val's soul made into a Strapon would be the most dangerous weapon on earth

K0npeito: Why does every conversation we have in here have to end with Val getting a penis?
:dawn: :fullmoon: :daiklave: :twink:

Haku
Essence 7
Essence 7
Exalt: Dragon-Blooded
Fighting Style: Sleep-fu
Artifact: Fluffy Bed of Sleep +10

08 Jan 2006, 14:04

Awww.... and it's over...

I really do wish to see a sequel... ^_^

Fire-chan, and water-kun...
Help mother earth by joining VHEMT.
It's the humane answer to what we've done to the world.

nexus
Essence 6
Essence 6
Exalt: Solar

08 Jan 2006, 14:22

re The Twins. It amazing what a little Twincest Yuri can get you. Who's says appearance is a useless attribute? :D

All in all though, a good conclusion.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

08 Jan 2006, 15:03

nexus wrote:
re The Twins. It amazing what a little Twincest Yuri can get you. Who's says appearance is a useless attribute? :D

Obviously not the Ex2nd development team. <^_^>

Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author

09 Jan 2006, 09:34

Valheru wrote:
*Sniffles* Very well done, Niz. It was a long journey, but a good one. ^.^

I was a little sad to see it end myself. But it was a happy sad, in that it reached completion. :D I'm glad you enjoyed the journey.

Haku wrote:
Awww.... and it's over...
I really do wish to see a sequel... ^_^
Fire-chan, and water-kun...

Well, I set it up so I could write more on other characters if I so wished.
I'll probably do a (smaller) series for Fenir and Resira, as well as anyone else people might want to read more about. :D

nexus wrote:

Thank you! :D
I wanted to make sure the end of the story was worthy of all the buildup.
:D
She went out one day,
In a relative way,

Love is never having to say you're sorry. Power is being able to kill anyone who asks for an apology.

Bladestorm
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Dark Lurker
Fighting Style: Storm of Moonlit Claws
Artifact: Quicksilver Aegis Talisman-Cloak

17 Jan 2006, 14:47

A marvelous ending to a marvelous story! I'm really impressed, Niz. ^_^

...though I somehow missed the thread for a while, and only just read it. >_>
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've seen C-beams glitter in the darkness near the Tannhauser gate. All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Nizkateth
Essence 8
Essence 8
Topic Author

18 Jan 2006, 09:59

Bladestorm wrote:
A marvelous ending to a marvelous story! I'm really impressed, Niz. ^_^
...though I somehow missed the thread for a while, and only just read it. >_>

Thanks! I wanted to end this on a high note, to be worthy of the 99 previous acts. :D
Though it is pretty funny that you missed it for a while. ^_^
She went out one day,
In a relative way,

nolrai
Essence 1
Essence 1

Re: Act 100 - Separate Ways *warning: conclusion content*

11 Jan 2012, 11:37

Is there a place to read the rest of these?

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

Re: Act 100 - Separate Ways *warning: conclusion content*

12 Jan 2012, 11:51

There is. Niz has an index thread with all of her fiction/work in it. You can find it viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2367

Jalmar is pretty good. And everyone loves her Aiden comic. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories