DOOM HAS-Ohlookit Shinies!
Topic Author
Title: Sleepy Zenith
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Sorcery and Pillow Charms
Artifact: Glorious Solar Comforter

Sun and Stars - Chapter 2

24 Jun 2009, 16:45

Midnight Rose crossed the threshold of Gate 19 and found herself once more in Creation. The iridescent, dancing radiance of the gate filled the large stone chamber with blinding brilliance, revealing a normally dark room of dull moss and sandy stone. It has been exactly five days since she was reassigned to the Convention of Wood. During that time, she clocked in a fair bit of overtime to wrap up old missions, or set destinies rolling so that they would hopefully continue as planned. It would have been better if someone else had picked up where she left off, but knowing how things worked in the West, she was pretty sure that would be a very long wait. The thought kept her mood sour for most of the week. She did not like leaving things undone, but orders were orders.

Her boots clicked against the cold stone floors as she stepped onto the temple that housed the celestial gateway. The convention’s dossier mentioned the temple’s name and importance, but she did not care enough to remember them. Something about an old shrine to a river goddess that still gets the occasional foot traffic.

The air was chilly, and she unconsciously tugged on the hem of her buttoned up jacket. Her Sifu’s words were still fresh on her mind and she breathed a meditative sigh to brush away the frustration of being moved from the one Convention she actually liked. She straightened her shirt and checked her saber. She knew that her customary outfit was perfectly pressed and assembled, but the act calmed her nerves somewhat.

Right then, be calm, be polite. Don’t piss anybody off. Just ten minutes and I’ll be back in the field again.

“Heads up, Greenhorn!” a man’s voice shouted just as the dazzling lights of the gate blinked out, the pathway to heaven closed once more.

Rose glanced to her left towards the voice as her vision adjusted to the darkness just in time to catch a thrown bundle of paper as it was about to hit her in the face. The Chosen of Battles felt her face burn with annoyance. That irritation filled the glare that she shot towards the man who had hurled the files.

Standing off to the side of the now strangely out of place gateway stood a man of middling years. He appeared to be no stranger to labor, his leanly muscled frame filling his long, red and white tunic and dark tan pants. The tunic had the words ‘good luck’ written boldly in Old Realm characters in the center. The lack of sleeves emphasized his musculature and the simple black shoes made little noise as he slowly meandered his way towards her. There was a decidedly bored and resigned look about his face as he looked her up and down with seemingly disinterested yellow hued eyes. An off-white banana hid some of his short, neatly kept black hair. Rose might have thought him handsome, were she not so annoyed with him.

“Who the Hell are you? And what the Hell is this?” she snapped at the man while she waved the packet in the air.

The man stabbed a thumb against his chest, “The name’s Errant Venture. I’m your chaperone, Greenhorn. And that,” he waved a sun darkened hand at the stack of bound documents, “is the Convention’s field agent handbook. Read it, or don’t. I don’t care.”

“I don’t need a chaperone.”

“Tough. Convention mandate states all transfers are to be taught the particulars by a senior agent until said agent deems the junior capable of operating independently.”

“This is bullshit! I’m not some paper pusher sticking her toes in the mud for the first time. I have over a century of independent fieldwork under my belt.”

The self-proclaimed senior agent rolled his eyes, “Look, I don’t care if you’re Chejop Kejak himself, and neither does Mama Ura upstairs. I’m stuck with you, Greenhorn, whether I like it or not, and that’s exactly how this is going to work until I say otherwise. Now come along, Greenhorn. We’re late as it is.” With that he turned on his heel, stuffed his hands in his pant pockets and marched towards the one stone door in the chamber, not even looking back to see if she was following or not.

As the door ground open and Errant Venture disappeared beyond the threshold, Rose muttered several choice words that she picked up from a group of cutthroats near Skullstone. A fine day this is turning out to be, she thought with a scowl, then consciously relaxed her fists, much to the relief of the stack of papers in her hand, and followed the man out of the room.

The door led into a long hallway that branched into a series of corridors. Occasionally a little god entered the halls from one of the many doors. They all appeared busy with their own concerns and ignored the pair, moving with a rushed calm that only seasoned clerks used to looming deadlines could achieve. The paths were brightly lit with essence lamps that gave off a low hum along with a soft yellow light that was not all together unpleasant. Moss thrived on the moist stones, and there was a distinct, briny odor in the air that she knew would cling to everything she wore.

To her surprise, they crossed paths with a handful of other Chosen of the Maidens as well. They greeted them, Errant specifically, with friendly waves and short words. But they all appeared busy as well and went about their business without further ado.

She also noticed the Old Realm characters ‘bad luck’ stamped proudly upon the back of her self-declared chaperone’s tunic.

As Rose followed the other Chosen down the long halls of the River Temple, she was struck by how crowded the place felt. The small monastery that served as the convention house for the Convention of Water was never more than sparsely occupied. Even the Moon-Kissed Tidal House in Skullstone that they recently abandoned seemed quiet and empty compared to the activity here. Now that she thought about it, their headquarters never had more than two Sidereals staying there at any given time, and the most permanent Bureau occupants were the four little god desk clerks and the occasional minor elementals on mail errands.

In fact, a lot of things have surprised her today. And she did not like that one bit.

“What are we late for anyway?” she asked as she moved up to walk abreast the other Sidereal.

“Our first assignment, thanks to you,” Errant Venture replied briskly. “And you still need to file your transfer papers.”

Rose checked the Resplendent Synchronizer of Heavenly Bodies on her wrist and frowned, “I wasn’t late.”

“You weren’t early.”

She ignored the quip with some effort, “And why all the paperwork? Shouldn’t we just head out since we’re apparently late?”

The man beside her looked to the ceiling and rolled his eyes, “Look, I don’t know how you people ran that circus of a convention out in the West and frankly, I don’t care. But here, we follow protocol.”

“We act when shit needs to get done if that’s what you getting at” Rose shot back. The Convention of Water was not the smoothest running convention in the Bureau, but she’d be damned if she let some lazy paper baron get away with talking shit about her mates, “Can’t imagine you people getting anything done here, what with all that paper stuffed up your asses.”

“You’d know all about stuffing, wouldn’t you?”

You son of a-

“Ah, here we are,” Errant Venture said with feigned good cheer and stopped in front of a door that looked no different from the other dozen along the corridor. The stone door slid open with the temple’s characteristic low rumble to reveal a modest sized office. Neutrally colored file cabinets lined the walls and flanked a heavy desk of carved dull black marble. A single brass automaton with a large blinking red light for a face sat behind the desk.

The Chosen of Journeys motioned for her to enter with a limp wristed wave of his hand. She did what she was told and stepped inside, but not before she shot the golden eyed man a look that promised retribution to come.

“Welcome to the Administrative Registrar of the Convention of Wood,” the automaton greeted her with a voice that she decided was much too cheery for her current mood, “I am Slowly Spinning Sprocket. How may I assist you today?”

Rose glanced at Errant Venture, then back at the lone automaton before responding. “I just transferred in. Take it I need to fill some stuff out?”

“One moment please.” The sentient device’s head then rotated three full circles on its impractically narrow neck as smaller multicolored lights on its torso blinked in some strange pattern. Rose could even hear the muffled clanks of the spinning cogs in the thing’s blocky chassis.

What an outdated heap, she thought with a silent, bemused sigh. Nothing like the new VE models the Crimson Panoply adopted a few years back. Even a freshly hired little god can work faster than this.

“Yes!” the automaton chirped after a while, “There is record of a personal transfer slated for this date. Please insert letter of transfer to complete the procedure.” As it spoke, a flap on its torso, just below the neck, opened to reveal some kind of paper feed just wide enough to accept Bureau documents one page at a time.

Rose looked over her shoulder and gave Errant Venture an incredulous stare, “You can’t be serious.”

The Chosen of Mercury shrugged and tapped the synchronizer on his wrist in response, which made her glare and whip her head back towards the automaton, who remained politely still and silent. Grudgingly, Rose reached into the inside pocket of her jacket and fumbled around for a moment before she pulled out a crumpled wad that was her transfer orders. She shot a warning glare at the other Sidereal after hearing a strangled snicker, but the man was already staring intently at the ceiling with a grin that she just knew would only become increasingly aggravating in the coming days.

Turning back towards the automaton, she began to flatten out the letter on the desk. The sound of rustling paper was the only noise in the room as she struggled to get the damned thing into something that resembled respectable. When she was satisfied with her efforts, Rose fed the sheet into the automaton. As the first bit went in, gears began to whirl and unseen rollers pulled the rest of the letter inside the artifact clerk’s body.

And then the page was promptly spat back out.

Had the Battles not recently paid off the destruction of a priceless stain glass window in the Forbidden Manse of Ivy, there would be an impressive pile of brass scrap on the office floor. But she had, and so the automaton remained unscathed.

Rose took a moment to calm down and unclenched her jaw. She thought she heard another snicker from behind her but ignored it. The automaton, wisely, remained dormant.

She spent the next few minutes meticulously straightening the creases in the letter, folding and refolding to get the thing as flat as possible. By the end of it, the sheet of paper felt almost like cloth, which added a new problem when she tried to feed it through the slot, with the limp page buckling under the pressure. At times, she angrily wondered if the automaton had completely turned off.

Finally, after some doing, the rollers came to life and the letter went in without a hitch. After several seconds, when she was sure that it would not spit it back out, she realized that she was holding her breath, so she let it go with a sigh.

“Processing,” the automaton then chimed cheerily, the lights on its chest blinking randomly as more cogs and metal parts moved and spun. Rose found her opinion of ‘intelligent’ automata steadily decreasing as the seconds ticked by. Eventually, the robotic clerk finished analyzing the orders and bobbed its light bulb head. “Welcome to the Convention of Wood, Karal Midnight Rose. Please refer to your handbook or senior advisor with any questions. Please note that until your probationary period has elapsed, your mission dispatches will be relayed to your senior advisor.”

“Great,” Rose muttered, then spun on her heel to face Errant Venture. “Come we go now?”

The Journeys grunted an affirmative and stepped out of the office. Rose followed the man out, glad to finally be on her way back into the field. Neither of them responded to the automaton’s cheerful farewell as the door grinded shut once more.

Slowly Spinning Sprocket was not offended by the Sidereals’ lack of manners. It was used to people ignoring it. In fact, it really did not matter, as its primary concern is with the careful administration of Convention documents. And so the automaton cheerily went back to work, oblivious to the fact that it had simultaneously made and ruined somebody’s day.

Back in the hall, Rose marched alongside Errant as he led her through the temple.

“The backend of the temple is where our Convention House is located,” Errant mentioned as they neared the exit. “The only way out to Creation is through the front half, which is what most of the locals know as the River Temple of Anisatsis. She lets us use the place as long as we make sure the pilgrims make it through here safely. They’re mostly couples. Anisatsis is a fertility goddess after all.”

“Doesn’t seem very secure.”

Errant shrugged, “Hiding in plain sight has its benefits.”

“Didn’t work so well with the Tidal House,” Rose pointed out, with a touch of something that she did not intend. Regret, perhaps, but she quickly brushed those thoughts aside.

The Chosen of Journeys glanced over at her for a brief moment, but said nothing, as though thinking better of it.

A few moments later, they arrived in a small waiting room. Several non-descript canvas robes and cloaks hung on pegs along the walls. A handful of pegs were empty, but the room remained well-stocked with such articles. The Journeys grabbed a robe and tossed the garment at Rose, who caught it with her left hand.

“Put those on, Greenhorn.”

A shapely crimson brow arched, “Disguises?”

“Yep. We’ll be a cute, young couple hoping that Anisatsis blesses us with fertility,” Errant explained nonchalantly as he wrapped a cloak around his frame, making sure that it covered the flashiest sections of his clothing.

“Oh lovely,” Rose lamented with exaggerated flair, “I married to an impotent husk of a man.”

“Says the woman with the Underworld between her legs.”

“Darling,” the Chosen of Battles admonished with feigned sweetness, “This wouldn’t have been a problem if you hadn’t gone and learned Citrine Poxes of Contagion style from those harlots in the next village.”

“Low blow.”

“All’s fair.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Errant Venture said with a wry smirk and pressed one of the smaller, uneven stone blocks on the wall. The tile sunk deeper into the wall and after several moments, a section of nearby wall began grinding open. A draft carried with it a stronger scent of the two rivers outside the temple. Through the newly opened door, she saw a dimly lit hall that was identical to the one they were just in. The only difference being the presence of oil lanterns rather than essence lamps. “Let’s get moving, Greenhorn” he said when Rose got the robe over her clothes.

Errant seemed to expect more sass from her, but she did not oblige him as she followed him into the public face of the East’s Convention House.

While the River Temple was not as crowded as the Convention House proper, the pair came across relatively few people on the grounds besides the occasional priest more concerned for the proper upkeep of the place than actual prayer.

Rose kept to herself, admiring the simple, cave-like architecture as they walked, easily fitting into the temporary role of half of a childless couple like the countless other covers she had assumed in her lifetime. “So what’s the mission?”

“We’re investigating an unauthorized mid-level essence burst.”

“Location?”

“A few days’ ride due west, along the southern end of the Yellow River.”

“Likely suspect?”

“Mama Ura thinks Luna popped another one, but we have no specifics. There were a handful of silver shards at large during the time window and Hell, with our intel, it could just be another Lost Egg.”

“Recon then.”

“Pretty much.”

“And if it does turn out to be a Lunar?” Rose asked and flashed her colleague an inquiring look.

Errant shot her another glance in return, but did not volunteer any information. Instead, he stepped close and wrapped an arm around her waist. She stiffened as he pulled her in closer, but did not react as another couple moved into view. Rose leaned her head on his shoulder and smiled at the pair, newlyweds from the looks of it.

“The goddess’ blessing is upon us,” she murmured lovingly to Errant as the other couple passed them.

The Chosen of Journeys looked convincingly proud as he hugged her, “And soon we will be blessed with children as well.”

Neither Sidereal dropped their act until they were out of sight of the mortals, and Rose shoved the Journeys away. “Touch me again, and I’ll break the arm,” the Battles warned in the same sweet tone as she had used a moment before.

“Battles,” Errant noted dryly and dug his hands into his pockets as he walked.

The two carried on silently for the rest of the walk, the occasional echoes of hushed conversations and feet upon stone the only sounds to punctuate the constant drone of the rivers beneath them.

He looked over his shoulder at her a little while later, as they exited the Temple and began moving single file down the winding, narrow stairs that led down to the bottom of the cliff the Temple was carved into. The steps themselves were originally part of the cliff as well and overlooked the fork where the Meander and Maruto merged to form the Yellow River. “So the rumors of that bar fight during the Festivals of Meetings…?”

There was a slight pause, “I have no idea what you might be referring to.”

“Right,” Errant looked at her, unconvinced before he turned his attention back to not tripping on the wet and narrow steps, “At any rate, we’ll take a cloud skiff to the scene. It’s not too far from here so we’ll arrive within the day. From there we’ll play it by ear.”

“Not too different from how we do things over in the West,” Rose mused aloud.

Errant Venture did not say anything, but his one-fingered wave said more than words ever could.
Last edited by Fenris on 24 Jun 2009, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Zhao Yi, "Venus! Will you look at the size of this closet?"
Midnight Rose, "Sifu, we're looking for booze here."

Current story is Sun and Stars which can be found in my notebook.

Fenris
Topic Author

Re: Sun and Stars - Chapter 2

24 Jun 2009, 17:45

Heavens Gardener wrote:
...*spits out tea laughing*

Poor Rose. Though I really like her interaction with the Journeys.

Also, stupid bureacracy nonsense. *shakes fist at*

It took time to write those parts as painfully annoying as possible! Good to see it has paid off. X)

Heavens Gardener wrote:
Minor typo, I think, though:
“Welcome to the Convention of Water, Karal Midnight Rose"
I think you might mean Wood?

Yes. Yes, it was. Thank you and fixed. :)

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

24 Jun 2009, 17:45

“Oh lovely,” Rose lamented with exaggerated flair, “I married to an impotent husk of a man.”

“Darling,” the Chosen of Battles admonished with feigned sweetness, “This wouldn’t have been a problem if you hadn’t gone and learned Citrine Poxes of Contagion style from those harlots in the next village.”

“Low blow.”

“All’s fair.”

....Genius. I nearly spewed soda on the monitor. XD
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Fenris
Topic Author

24 Jun 2009, 19:48

Kailan wrote:
....Genius. I nearly spewed soda on the monitor. XD

Mission accomplished! X3

Kraken
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Minor God of Obscure Arthropods
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Hands over head pleading for mercy

29 Jun 2009, 14:00

"Touch me again and I'll break your arm." Genius.

What's really neat about this is I suspect Rose and Errant would/will make good friends - they both seem fairly irreverant, compared to the Siddi stereotype. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how this plays out :D
You should not hit your friends or loved ones with swords... unless you REALLY need the insurance.

My fiction:

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

29 Jun 2009, 15:42

It's a good thing that the Sidereals don't run the risk of becoming the mask.

...right? ^VVVV^
I write stories. No, really.

Fenris
Topic Author

29 Jun 2009, 23:19

Kraken wrote:
"Touch me again and I'll break your arm." Genius.

What's really neat about this is I suspect Rose and Errant would/will make good friends - they both seem fairly irreverant, compared to the Siddi stereotype. Anyways, looking forward to seeing how this plays out :D

They might. :) Errant Venture's character has evolved quite a bit since his first introduction as a 'that bastard' npc for my players. They probably wouldn't recognize him anymore.

Dinosaur wrote:

...right? ^VVVV^

I feel as though I should get this reference, but I don't. ._.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

29 Jun 2009, 23:39

Fenris wrote:

Dinosaur wrote:

...right? ^VVVV^

I feel as though I should get this reference, but I don't. ._.

"Becoming the Mask" as in where faking stops and really feeling your fake feelings starts. Also, a certain broken constellation.

Fenris
Topic Author

30 Jun 2009, 00:06

Ah, I see. It's a good thing indeed. >:3

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

20 Aug 2009, 15:28

You clearly know your Sidereals. I really like the initial exchange between Errant Venture and Rose. Her shock is mine; this isn't standard process typically so something else is going on or this is a slap in the face. Probably both. Not sure yet if he's in on the reason or not, though. Or I could be reading too much into this.

...haha, I love his shirt. Good luck, bad luck, that's awesome.

The man beside her looked to the ceiling and rolled his eyes, “Look, I don’t know how you people ran that circus of a convention out in the West and frankly, I don’t care. But here, we follow protocol.”

Oh, so that's how this Convention rolls. Great. I love how effectively you've managed to alienate me from the Gold Faction so far. Well done!

Huh. What's that suppposed to mean?

Turning back towards the automaton, she began to flatten out the letter on the desk. The sound of rustling paper was the only noise in the room as she struggled to get the damned thing into something that resembled respectable. When she was satisfied with her efforts, Rose fed the sheet into the automaton. As the first bit went in, gears began to whirl and unseen rollers pulled the rest of the letter inside the artifact clerk’s body.

This is so awesomely Office Space, I'm having trouble putting into words how exceedingly good this is.

Had the Battles not recently paid off the destruction of a priceless stain glass window in the Forbidden Manse of Ivy, there would be an impressive pile of brass scrap on the office floor. But she had, and so the automaton remained unscathed.

Wait, wasn't that a century or two ago? Jeez, that must have really cost a fortune.

Errant shrugged, “Hiding in plain sight has its benefits.”

“Didn’t work so well with the Tidal House,” Rose pointed out, with a touch of something that she did not intend. Regret, perhaps, but she quickly brushed those thoughts aside.

One of the things that really works for your writing is the contrast between comedic and tragic. Well, if not tragic, serious then. We laugh at Rose's situation because it's silly but then she reminds us all over again that there's plenty dark as well as light in her backstory. I wonder what exactly happened to her at Tidal House and I think I'm more intrigued because this has otherwise been pretty light-hearted in tone so far. So yes, I suppose in a story mostly made of light, the shadow stands out that much more clearly and you really do a nice job of reminding me of that.

“Low blow.”

Nice banter, especially given it's Exalted-centric banter.

“Mama Ura thinks Luna popped another one, but we have no specifics. There were a handful of silver shards at large during the time window and Hell, with our intel, it could just be another Lost Egg.”

I really like these sentences. It feels very authentic.

He looked over his shoulder at her a little while later, as they exited the Temple and began moving single file down the winding, narrow stairs that led down to the bottom of the cliff the Temple was carved into. The steps themselves were originally part of the cliff as well and overlooked the fork where the Meander and Maruto merged to form the Yellow River. “So the rumors of that bar fight during the Festivals of Meetings…?”

There was a slight pause, “I have no idea what you might be referring to.”

Haha, I hoped that would come up again. :)

And great conclusion. Really interesting story so far. I have to say, I'm still wondering why she got transferred. What does her Sifu know about her dreams that her last life knew? What's the deal with the crystal and the sword? Why is the Convention of Wood jerking her around?

Look forward to my questions being answered. :)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10

20 Aug 2009, 16:11

Epiphany wrote:

Wait, wasn't that a century or two ago? Jeez, that must have really cost a fortune.

"You hooligans! That window cost 150 talents of jade!"

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

20 Aug 2009, 19:14

Actually, what makes it hilarious is that it so wasn't her fault. It was the crystal...which in a way is Nara-O's fault.

So, the Forbidding Manse of Ivy basically set her up to have her Salary docked for the next couple of centuries? Hmmm...sounds Just As Planned to me! :D
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Fenris
Topic Author

20 Aug 2009, 20:25

Huh. What's that suppposed to mean?

A knock on her bust size. Since it's clear they're gonna get along so well. :3

This is so awesomely Office Space, I'm having trouble putting into words how exceedingly good this is.

This bit was actually the first part I thought of when I was beginning to write this chapter. Glad to see everyone liking it. :)

Yes, yes it has. And yes, yes it did. According to the Sidereals in charge, it was a priceless gift from the mountain folk to the Maiden of Secrets back before Autobot left Creation. At least, that's what the receipt said anyway. :3

One of the things that really works for your writing is the contrast between comedic and tragic. Well, if not tragic, serious then. We laugh at Rose's situation because it's silly but then she reminds us all over again that there's plenty dark as well as light in her backstory. I wonder what exactly happened to her at Tidal House and I think I'm more intrigued because this has otherwise been pretty light-hearted in tone so far. So yes, I suppose in a story mostly made of light, the shadow stands out that much more clearly and you really do a nice job of reminding me of that.

Thank you! As for the Tidal House, it was part of the flavor blurb in the Sidereals book about the Convention House for the West. Apparently they had a larger establishment on the Silver Prince's very doorstep, but eventually they had to vacant in a hurry when they caught wind that the Deathlord's forces were closing in on them. This happened relatively recently, I'd say around 2-4 years prior to current events if I recall correctly.

And great conclusion. Really interesting story so far. I have to say, I'm still wondering why she got transferred. What does her Sifu know about her dreams that her last life knew? What's the deal with the crystal and the sword? Why is the Convention of Wood jerking her around?

Look forward to my questions being answered. :)

Oh and they shall be answered, eventually. :)