Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Forged, Part 3: Forged In Suffering

10 Oct 2009, 15:27

There is a chance that this is going to hit six parts, depending on how the next bit breaks down. I totally suck at short-form fiction. :lol:
-----

“Where the hell are you going, Cole?” Simon Tate eyed Jamie suspiciously, as the two passed in the hall. “Lights-out was ten minutes ago.”

“Could ask you the same.” Jamie Cole grinned insolently, then winced as an audible gurgle came from his stomache. “Heading to the can. Think I might have done Sarah another favor by mistake – pretty sure that shrimp went bad, and I need to take the mother of all craps before…”

Simon held up his hands quickly. “Too much info, man.” He frowned, then reluctantly added, “I’m going to check on Kien. He wasn’t looking good at dinner.”

“Oh. Yeah.” Jamie nodded slowly. “Okay. You don’t say you saw me, I don’t say I saw you, huh?”

“Sure.” Simon nodded back, and started to walk on.

“Hang on.” Simon paused, glancing backwards, to find Jamie facing him uncertainly. “Tell him… nah, forget it.” Shaking his head, he started to turn around.

“Tell him what?” Simon pressed curiously.

“Tell him… ah, hell, I’m gonna sound like a total wuss. Just forget it.” Jamie waved his arm, then paused. “Fuck it. Tell him I’m worried about him, man.”

“You.” Simon stared. “Are worried. About someone else.”

“Fuck you.” Jamie answered. “Kien’s cool. Too soft for this, but cool.” He glared daggers at Simon. “You wanna make something of it?”

“No, I’m good.” Simon said with a half-smile. “Didn’t think you had it in you to care about other people.”

“Whatever, man.” Jamie raised his hand as he continued walking. “I gotta hit the can or I’m gonna explode.”

He walked down the corridor, leaving Simon to turn away with a chuckle. Jamie glared back at the other soldier, then muttered to himself. “Worried about him. The hell was I thinking. Damned shrimp making me gassy, not thinking straight.”

“It’s not the shrimp. Turn left here.”

Jamie leapt halfway out of his skin at the deep male voice echoing in his ears. His knife was halfway out of his boot hoslter as he spun, brandishing it wildly. “Who said that?”

“A friend. You need to turn left here. Quickly.”

Jamie frowned, then the light dawned. “You’re on my goddamn radio. You hacked my goddamn radio frequency? Who the hell is this? I am not in the mood, pal. I will find you, and I will…”

“You’ve been poisoned, Jamie. Badly. You need to initiate a total biorelational cycle of your systems, at least a 70% blood transfusion, or you will be dead in ten minutes.”

Jamie stopped still. “No shit.” He looked around, then winced and gritted his teeth as another cramp passed over him. “Dunno who you are, but if you’re right I need the medlab.”

“It’s too late for the medlab. The poison’s entered your biotic uplinks. They need to be cycled. Now.”

“I don’t even know who you…” Jamie started.

“Do you want to live?” Came the reply.

“Damn it.” Jamie shook his head, staggering to the left towards the bio-cybernetics ward. “Must be goddamn crazy to be doing this. Who the hell are you, man?”

“A friend, I hope. I’ve been watching you, Jamie. I have high hopes for you – but I had to wait until certain… other forces… were distracted. Fortunately, I was in time.”

“Lovely.” Jamie shook his head as he pushed the ward doors open and triggered the lights. “Suppose you know how to run a biowhatchallit cycle?”

The line was silent. “You do not?

“I’m a fucking soldier, man!” Jamie swore as he staggered forwards. “Can’t even pronounce it!” He started to blink rapidly. “Plus, my eyesight’s going blurry. That ain’t good, right?”

“Oh dear.” The man on the other end considered. “Jamie. I can still help you. But I didn’t want to do this until you were lucid.”

“Am I going to die if you don’t?” Jamie asked.

“Well… yes. But the help I intended to offer is rather a permanent arrangement. If you change your mind, you won’t be able to back out later. I can explain…”

“Will I die if you help me?”

“No, but…”

“Then fucking do it!!” Jamie yelled. “I don’t fucking care about permanent whatevers, I am not goddamn dying of poisoned shrimp!”

“Very well. This may be… disconcerting.” The voice went away.

“Disconcerting. Right. What, are you going to ohmyfreakingmotherofmercygod!” Jamie collapsed to the floor as a high-pitched whine filled his ears. The entire world went white.

“Jamie. Jamie!”

“Fuuuuuuck…” Jamie said slowly. He opened his eyes, staring upwards. “Am I better?”

“No.” The voice was followed by another cramp, more painful than ever. “I told you. You need to initiate a biorelational cycle of your systems.”

“Right. Biorelational.” Jamie pulled himself up. “Feels like my head’s on fire, man. The hell was that?” Orienting himself, he grabbed one of the uplink consoles, slid out a cable, and expertly attached it to a small point at the base of his spine, as magnets in the cable hooked to the metal there. Turning to the computer, he booted it up.

“Upgrades. I’ll explain while you work.” The voice answered. “We don’t have much time. Now, start by aligning your plasma differentials with the Houseman grid…”

“No way I can…” Jamie broke off, blinking. “Holy crap. I totally know what you’re talking about.”

“I told you. Upgrades. Now get to work.”

“Sure thing, man.” With a lopsided grin, Jamie started to work. “Always wanted to be my best.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

Re: Forged, Part 3: Forged In Suffering

10 Oct 2009, 16:59

Nifty. Nice that he's showing some signs of compassion. A super hero who isn't ultimately in it for the helping people is eventually going to crack.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Re: Forged, Part 3: Forged In Suffering

11 Oct 2009, 11:25

That's certainly one of the things about the character that's going to be interesting to play. ;)
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".