bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Exalt: Heroic Mortal
Fighting Style: North Star Streaming Fist

Re: Second TFS Writing Project!

10 Nov 2009, 01:14

Okay. First, thanks for keeping the discussion going. I was worried this wasn't going to get off the ground. I wanted to examine some of the ideas, from my point of view, maybe get some further discussion going. Please note I'm trying to look at a lot of this from the point of view of a coordinator first, and then a writer second. Thus, I understand what I think is a bad idea, might not be to some of you.

As a note, the ideas I covered were ones people said "I would do this" to. If you like the other ideas, I encourage you to speak up.

Horror Romantic Comedy
+Best opportunity for group building within the writing forum. Not only would we be sharing characters, we would be tying them into relationships of all kinds with one another. The writers would have to know all the characters, and thus be on working terms with their creators.
-Weakest chance of crossover when put into context of the forum. Paradoxically, lends itself the best to a verbatim translation to webcomic, but beyond that doesn't have the hooks the other projects do.
+Best option for character-on-character writing, which I know is a big draw for a lot of the writers here. Both genres involve a lot of interpersonal reaction to a variety of emotions. If you want to have a character building exercise in the literary sense of things, then this would be the best option.
-Speaking of character on character, I'd like to point out that this project would also mean the writers knowing each other's personal boundaries as our characters intentionally misconstrue and push theirs. Some people don't post on the smut forum, some people get freaked out by gore or themes of horror. We'd have to learn to play to eachother's strengths or the project would flounder.
+However, assuming we could get that covered, this would probably be the easiest project to get done. A small timeline and a cast who has active reasons to be with each other means that if everyone plugs a couple chapters in, then we can easily get the whole thing done in no time.
-Hard to write sequels for. Both genres we would be borrowing from tend to be very negative toward direct sequels. Even slasher flicks tend to not have anything beyond the premise and big bad in common, and if a character returns they're typically there to be killed off. RomComs almost universally end with a big, wrapped up "and then they lived happily ever after". We would have to get most everything we could out of these characters in this context.

Country-Building Exercise
+Strongest chance of crossover. Artwork of characters, locations, and historic events for the country could easily be brought up in the art forum, the various artifacts, manses, or armies could be designed in the crunch forum, the setting itself could easily be used for the RP or the webcomic. This is truly the project where the sky is the limit.
-Strongest need for canon police. Let's be honest, this one would be a pain the ass because we'd have to make sure all accounts matched up on a certain level. This isn't to say people couldn't do AUs or wildly subjective in-character vanity pieces, but on a certain level we would have to underline what was and wasn't true and keep everyone on the same page. This only gets harder the more we open up the setting.
+Most fluid in terms of what you can do with it. Writing could be day-in-the-life accounts, historical records, or standard fiction. It could be set nearly anywhere in the timeline for the project, from the first age to past the current point in canon. This isn't a crossover project in as much as it'd be a shared universe.
-Technically near impossible to ever actually finish. We'd have to likely decide a specific event in the country's history and write around that.

Strategy Game
+Good opportunity for crossover with the other forums, especially the roleplaying and crunch forums.
-Requires an insane amount of front-end work. Generals and lieutenants must be designed, and then their armies, including fluff details, specialized equipment, tactics, history, and so forth. Mechanical means of handling things must also be determined: are we using Mass Combat or Mandate of Heaven rules? One of the boardgames? Another board game (we could just play Risk or Axis and Allies and change details)? How will the game be run? If we're determining which side wins first, then we need to decide details of battles and exactly who wins and what makes a good story.
+Beyond the massive front end, this project needs the least coordination. If we approach this from the notion of using a mechanical basis, then we have randomness to determine the outcome of the battles. If we instead decide which factions will win over which ahead of time, then this is just pure writing, plain and simple.
+Very easy to revisit! Armies have this tendency of being regrouped and good generals know when to make their escape and start anew.

TFS Visual Novel
+Minimal need for canon policing. Given that most visual novels tend to have multiple paths (typically based on romantic choices, though in some of the better ones it's just by plot decisions), every author could do their own thing and go in wildly different directions.
-Might be tricky to coordinate. Obviously not every story path could branch directly from the initial jump-off points, people would have to work together. Sure, this is fine for the first two or three people who get the initial branches, but when you're branching off a branch of a branch, you might have had some constraints put on your creativity.
+Strong group-building. Considering we're having to build characters from the point of view of everyone writing them, it means that we're essentially doing design by consensus.
-Your character becomes common property of the whole project. If we go with the idea that everyone would be writing a different story path, then this means accepting your character can't be a badass (or at least the badass) in all routes.
+Potential crossover with the art forum and the rest of the forum at large. If this is popular enough, we can put out an open casting call for people on TFS to voice characters and draw scenes, and code the thing together with one of the free, open-source visual novel programs.
-Does not lend itself to revisiting. Most sequels for visual novels are spiritual, because at best your other options are just more story paths, or declaring one ending as the actual ending (which invariably means some bad blood with the other writers). In short, if we do this option, there's really no chance of ever revisiting these characters.
You know soft spoken changes nothing.

Muda da. Shikaiyaku Shinken wa muteki da.

Asmodai
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Misinformation Minister
Exalt: Sidereal
Fighting Style: Charcoal March of Spiders
Artifact: Song of the Falling Stars

10 Nov 2009, 04:16

The "strategy" game approach seems quite interesting. We could run it somewhat akin to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms? It'd give loads of room for stories and character development outside giant battles of baddassrey...

As for actual rules... i think people should sit down and map out the war in 3 month intervals. Rather then play it out and base it on dice and the vagaries of getting people together, the project leads/moderators or a plenum of contributors should sit down and discuss what will happen in the next three months in game. I think the battles themselves should be a backdrop and an opportunity rather then an end to itelf. After all the idea is to write stories, not turn into wargamers, right?
I'm a Sexy Shoeless God Of War!
What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Resident Novelist
Fighting Style: Running the hell away
Artifact: My Lower Soul

10 Nov 2009, 14:10

bassist159 wrote:
Horror Romantic Comedy
+Best opportunity for group building within the writing forum. Not only would we be sharing characters, we would be tying them into relationships of all kinds with one another. The writers would have to know all the characters, and thus be on working terms with their creators.
-Weakest chance of crossover when put into context of the forum. Paradoxically, lends itself the best to a verbatim translation to webcomic, but beyond that doesn't have the hooks the other projects do.
+Best option for character-on-character writing, which I know is a big draw for a lot of the writers here. Both genres involve a lot of interpersonal reaction to a variety of emotions. If you want to have a character building exercise in the literary sense of things, then this would be the best option.
-Speaking of character on character, I'd like to point out that this project would also mean the writers knowing each other's personal boundaries as our characters intentionally misconstrue and push theirs. Some people don't post on the smut forum, some people get freaked out by gore or themes of horror. We'd have to learn to play to eachother's strengths or the project would flounder.
+However, assuming we could get that covered, this would probably be the easiest project to get done. A small timeline and a cast who has active reasons to be with each other means that if everyone plugs a couple chapters in, then we can easily get the whole thing done in no time.
-Hard to write sequels for. Both genres we would be borrowing from tend to be very negative toward direct sequels. Even slasher flicks tend to not have anything beyond the premise and big bad in common, and if a character returns they're typically there to be killed off. RomComs almost universally end with a big, wrapped up "and then they lived happily ever after". We would have to get most everything we could out of these characters in this context.

I'm not sure how this has the weakest chance of crossover. Could you explain that a bit more? I otherwise largely agree with the strengths and weaknesses. Having good communication between writers would be a good way of avoiding most of the landmines.

I'd add as a weakness, though, "It takes a lot of work." Writers will be expected to read, absorb and remember a lot of detail and information they otherwise don't have to track. Plus the inevitible back-and-forth of edit/comment with those in the scene. For some, that's good. For others, a challenge.

bassist159 wrote:
Country-Building Exercise
+Strongest chance of crossover. Artwork of characters, locations, and historic events for the country could easily be brought up in the art forum, the various artifacts, manses, or armies could be designed in the crunch forum, the setting itself could easily be used for the RP or the webcomic. This is truly the project where the sky is the limit.
-Strongest need for canon police. Let's be honest, this one would be a pain the ass because we'd have to make sure all accounts matched up on a certain level. This isn't to say people couldn't do AUs or wildly subjective in-character vanity pieces, but on a certain level we would have to underline what was and wasn't true and keep everyone on the same page. This only gets harder the more we open up the setting.
+Most fluid in terms of what you can do with it. Writing could be day-in-the-life accounts, historical records, or standard fiction. It could be set nearly anywhere in the timeline for the project, from the first age to past the current point in canon. This isn't a crossover project in as much as it'd be a shared universe.
-Technically near impossible to ever actually finish. We'd have to likely decide a specific event in the country's history and write around that.

Interesting approach. I like it.

Much of the weakness could be handled by simply having a person willing to be the editor. And I mean editor as in "Willing to go the distance" as opposed to say the historical Whitewolf editing.

I think the lack of a plot is this approach's biggest weakness. If we go this direction, I'd encourage people to solidify not just a place but a time and happening.

bassist159 wrote:
Strategy Game
+Good opportunity for crossover with the other forums, especially the roleplaying and crunch forums.
-Requires an insane amount of front-end work. Generals and lieutenants must be designed, and then their armies, including fluff details, specialized equipment, tactics, history, and so forth. Mechanical means of handling things must also be determined: are we using Mass Combat or Mandate of Heaven rules? One of the boardgames? Another board game (we could just play Risk or Axis and Allies and change details)? How will the game be run? If we're determining which side wins first, then we need to decide details of battles and exactly who wins and what makes a good story.
+Beyond the massive front end, this project needs the least coordination. If we approach this from the notion of using a mechanical basis, then we have randomness to determine the outcome of the battles. If we instead decide which factions will win over which ahead of time, then this is just pure writing, plain and simple.
+Very easy to revisit! Armies have this tendency of being regrouped and good generals know when to make their escape and start anew.

If I understand you correctly, are you saying you're shooting for a story-project that would lend well to someone running a game off of it?

Adding to the first weakness, it's also a lot of work...and a very different kind of work than the first idea. Some people thrive on military detail. Others like to have it provided to us for us (that would be me). And some don't like to write that kind of thing at all. But hey, that's what the vote's for!

Speaking for myself, if I participate, I'm happy to have someone work up what they want and tell me what to use. Or I'll just wing it generically. Not terribly interested in spending a lot of time learning mechanics and rules I've never needed until now and won't likely use afterwards. :)

bassist159 wrote:
TFS Visual Novel
+Minimal need for canon policing. Given that most visual novels tend to have multiple paths (typically based on romantic choices, though in some of the better ones it's just by plot decisions), every author could do their own thing and go in wildly different directions.
-Might be tricky to coordinate. Obviously not every story path could branch directly from the initial jump-off points, people would have to work together. Sure, this is fine for the first two or three people who get the initial branches, but when you're branching off a branch of a branch, you might have had some constraints put on your creativity.
+Strong group-building. Considering we're having to build characters from the point of view of everyone writing them, it means that we're essentially doing design by consensus.
-Your character becomes common property of the whole project. If we go with the idea that everyone would be writing a different story path, then this means accepting your character can't be a badass (or at least the badass) in all routes.
+Potential crossover with the art forum and the rest of the forum at large. If this is popular enough, we can put out an open casting call for people on TFS to voice characters and draw scenes, and code the thing together with one of the free, open-source visual novel programs.
-Does not lend itself to revisiting. Most sequels for visual novels are spiritual, because at best your other options are just more story paths, or declaring one ending as the actual ending (which invariably means some bad blood with the other writers). In short, if we do this option, there's really no chance of ever revisiting these characters.

I'm intrigued by this. Can you give me an example (or, even better, a link) of what a visual novel is?

I think there's something to be said for having a writer-per-character approach, where each author has input on all scenes with that character in all storylines. (1) You'd ensure consistency of characterization and (2) you'd ensure all scenes for all characters had multiple writers/editors working on it. I suspect this might be the highest quality approach.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think my vote is:
(1) TFS Visual Novel (because it sounds so interesting and I've never done anything like it)
(2) Horror Romantic Comedy (plays to my strengths, as well as most likely cowriters)
(3) Country-Building Exercise (Just because)
(4) Strategy Game (Not a big strategy game fan personally, but happy to do it if someone else does the crunch)
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

My Novels / My Series / My Short Stories

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

10 Nov 2009, 14:58

Epiphany wrote:

I'm intrigued by this. Can you give me an example (or, even better, a link) of what a visual novel is?

I think there's something to be said for having a writer-per-character approach, where each author has input on all scenes with that character in all storylines. (1) You'd ensure consistency of characterization and (2) you'd ensure all scenes for all characters had multiple writers/editors working on it. I suspect this might be the highest quality approach.

Here's one example, though not with many action scenHNNNNNNG!

And here's what Fate/stay night looks like in its original form.
I write stories. No, really.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

10 Nov 2009, 15:57

Epiphany wrote:
I'm not sure how this has the weakest chance of crossover. Could you explain that a bit more? I otherwise largely agree with the strengths and weaknesses. Having good communication between writers would be a good way of avoiding most of the landmines.

I'd add as a weakness, though, "It takes a lot of work." Writers will be expected to read, absorb and remember a lot of detail and information they otherwise don't have to track. Plus the inevitible back-and-forth of edit/comment with those in the scene. For some, that's good. For others, a challenge.

I say it's the weakest compared to a world-building exercise, an extended mass-combat game, and a multimedia project. Comparatively, it is, but that's very stiff competition. It's about as crossover friendly as, say, Vanished was. As far as weaknesses go, there is a lot of work. I was originally of the mind that all the suggestions were intensive in the need for communication, but on further reflection, you're right, this is an especially heavy example of this. Thank you for pointing this out.

Epiphany wrote:
Interesting approach. I like it.

Much of the weakness could be handled by simply having a person willing to be the editor. And I mean editor as in "Willing to go the distance" as opposed to say the historical Whitewolf editing.

I think the lack of a plot is this approach's biggest weakness. If we go this direction, I'd encourage people to solidify not just a place but a time and happening.

I'd be completely willing to be the editor for the project, so that isn't an issue. The issue comes from the fact that the people in the project would have to be willing to work with an editor, because internal consistency unfortunately takes precedence in most cases over the narrative.

Also, I completely agree about the weakness of plot. We'd have to come up with some details and the pick a specific event: the nation's founding, a revolution, a war with another, possibly canon nation... in short, we'd need something.

Epiphany wrote:
If I understand you correctly, are you saying you're shooting for a story-project that would lend well to someone running a game off of it?

Adding to the first weakness, it's also a lot of work...and a very different kind of work than the first idea. Some people thrive on military detail. Others like to have it provided to us for us (that would be me). And some don't like to write that kind of thing at all. But hey, that's what the vote's for!

Speaking for myself, if I participate, I'm happy to have someone work up what they want and tell me what to use. Or I'll just wing it generically. Not terribly interested in spending a lot of time learning mechanics and rules I've never needed until now and won't likely use afterwards. :)

Honestly, the world building project is more us writing a bunch of fiction someone could use for a game. This is more playing a game via writing with someone handling the crunch aspects of things behind the scenes from the audience. To be fair, it's admittedly my least favorite option as well, but it has got a lot of feedback. I realize I'm something of a military nerd, some coming up with tactics sounds good to me - but we're also looking at treading into wargame territory.

Epiphany wrote:

Dino's links are very solid examples of what visual novels consist of. For the most part, they originally seemed to be a way of getting your plot at least somewhat paid attention to while you work in porn scenes, though in the last ten years or so there's been an upswing in ones without porn (Genso Suikogaiden, Chaos;Head, Ever17, and Higurashi/Umineko No Naku Koro Ni/When They Cry series jump to mind) and re-releases without porn where there was a enough demand (Fate/Realta Nua) that just use the format to tell a story.

Most of them tend to have some form of a romantic subplot in them. In many cases, romantic interests determine story path, though this isn't always the case. Storylines tend to be written from the point of view of a single character, almost universally in first person. Narrative-wise, it tends to follow a choose-your-own adventure format. In most cases, you have to follow a specific branch of a story to get the other to unlock (for example, the endings in Fate/Stay Night are labeled as Normal and True versions, and in the When They Cry games, you have to go through the guaranteed-bad end Question arcs to get access to the Answer arcs).

tl;dr - Visual Novels are choose your own adventure books for the computer age, complete with pretty images and voice acting. We would be grabbing the latter after we finished the writing.

Epiphany wrote:

I like the notion of the authors who contributed the character having some say in the scenes written. It might make the project slightly harder to get written on a quicker timetable, but it would get some serious internal consistency between story paths.

If we do this project, I'm going to suggest we copy the Higurashi design style and have all of the paths branch from an initial event, where the protagonists slightly different decisions cause different stories. That way, everyone gets an equal shot at things.

Obscaenus
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Night Sky Revelations
Fighting Style: Thousand Revenant Infinities Style
Artifact: Knives of the Endless Road

10 Nov 2009, 18:03

Starting from the top:

Maybe either toss the horrom-com thing at the webcomic submissions since it'd be easy to do there. Or, since this is supposed to be writing, do that and make the country-building exercise something else. Though, the more people we open up the country-building thing to, the harder it's going to be to canon police, obviously. (There's also the possibility for people to start branching off and AUing, which may be a good thing... or may lead to hard feelings, especially if someone actually steals a character or a character's schtick/shiny/other hook.)

And if we take volunteers for that and then freeze entry- which would solve some of the latter problems- we'd have to either figure out how far we're gonna go, or I guess we could not bother with later-phase things and re-open later if necessary.

I still like the idea of a strategy game, but it sounds like, at the least, we'd have to get together a volunteer team of hard-crunch people, actively network them with the fluff people, and define some objectives. So... yeah. Lots of front-end work (for the record, I was presuming we'd hack open some board game rules, but idk).

I know nothing of visual novels except from what that sounds like I'd be happy to contribute, but not so much on the writing end. From the art end, I'd also like to point out we'd have to have a common art style. That means fewer chances for people to contribute, as we'd have to either saddle a few people with art for everything (pencil, ink, color, background maybe)- which could be a massive pain in the ass and requires them to stick to it more than the writers would- or go only with people who are pretty good artists, have the ability to modify how they draw, and are cool with lots of editing and potentially redlining...

...And are still okay with working for free on a random project about other people's characters. We probably have some of those, but how many?

Writers will be expected to read, absorb and remember a lot of detail and information they otherwise don't have to track. Plus the inevitible back-and-forth of edit/comment with those in the scene. For some, that's good. For others, a challenge.

Ooh, good point. Didn't realize some people would have issue with that.

At the same time, this is a bonus for people like me. Means I can actually spit things out without worrying where I'm going before I get there. :kitty:

After all the idea is to write stories, not turn into wargamers, right?

Another problem with the strategy game thing is I think we all seem to have slightly different ideas on what that actually means.

Current votes:
(1) Do the country-building project, since no matter what exactly we decide there, that'll help generate interest and revitalize the forums, which was half the point of this. Also, of all the multi-media stuff, it requires the least front-end work and, despite the need for internal consistency, the greatest ability to let people make spinoffs- I was thinking we'd write not about a point in history, but define history up to one with this, and then run games and do other shit from there.

(2) The horromcom sounds like a nice basic Vanished-like writing thing with the bonuses of being easier to get into, having more incentive to tie in your characters with other people's, and having a nice plot idea already made if necessary (your DBs running from Thorns idea).

(3) I still want to do the crossover contest idea, but that of course requires interest from many people.

(4) I also really want to do the strategy game because it's neat and interactive and very different. On the other hand I have the least to contribute to that and thus can't really say anything.

(5) We could merge horromcom and visual novel, theoretically, especially if art etc. is after all the writing.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

10 Nov 2009, 20:05

If I might offer a couple of my personal ideas

At this point, the idea of doing a forum-wide project might be a little too ambitious. Doing something for the writing forum, on the other hand, gives us a solid base and better working relationship when we approach a bigger task. With this idea in mind, as much as I genuinely like the ideas, I think we should consider shelving the Nation-Building and Wargame projects. It's my personal opinion that the Wargame needs a great deal of work and that nobody really has an idea what the other means by it, and the Nation-Building exercise, while doable, would work much better if we got at least the Crunch forum in on it.

That said, the two remaining ideas could easily be the same idea. We could use the horror-romcom's plot seeds, and their shared focus on interpersonal interraction, the closely working with eachother on the chapters to make sure that everyone's characterization remained consistant, and so forth. The only point in which the two differ is scope - one assumes everyone works on the same narrative, and the other assumes we all have divided off to do our own stories. And if we're working with the idea of the group of DBs trying to escape Thorns as it collapses, it's very possible to do either.

Note, this isn't me going "THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD DO". This is just simply me trying to nudge the project closer to being a, well, project.

QuicksilverFox85
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Borgstromancer
Exalt: Fair Folk
Fighting Style: All-Consuming God-Monster Stance
Artifact: Flame of the Untamed Wyld [Razor Claws]

10 Nov 2009, 20:07

I say go with the horromcom for now. Could prove very interesting, I think.

I do want to see the nation-building at some point, though. There are large swatches of the map that need filling in, and I'd be interested to see what the folks here would come up with.
Catch you on the flip side...

^_^ QuicksilverFox85
Your friendly neighborhood Latin nerd

"Breakthrough in Borgstromancy - Nobilis Now More Than 10% Understood!
'I Think It's About Flowers,' Local Expert Says" - Axiomatic, rpg.net forums

Obscaenus
Essence 5
Essence 5

11 Nov 2009, 09:40

Horror/romantic comedy/visual novel, and maybe do something else some other time, sounds good to me.

Oz
Essence 5
Essence 5
Title: Vagabond
Exalt: Solar
Fighting Style: Wyldhammer
Artifact: Anti-matter nunchaku

13 Nov 2009, 13:54

I couldn't read the whole thread before jumping here to post: I WANT IN THIS FUCKING DOOR. So. Yah. Let me catch up now.
Have gun, will travel.

Kailan - Forum over, everyone go home.

TFS = Man Penis: Very Important

Oz
Essence 5
Essence 5

13 Nov 2009, 14:02

Alright. Caught up. I personally vote for Strategy first, Country Build second, and not the other ones at all.
Have gun, will travel.

Fenris
DOOM HAS-Ohlookit Shinies!
Title: Sleepy Zenith
Fighting Style: Sorcery and Pillow Charms
Artifact: Glorious Solar Comforter

13 Nov 2009, 21:04

All of them sound interesting, but I'd rather do a TFS visual novel or the country build over a horror romcom with the strategy coming in dead last for me.
Zhao Yi, "Venus! Will you look at the size of this closet?"
Midnight Rose, "Sifu, we're looking for booze here."

Current story is Sun and Stars which can be found in my notebook.

Ari
Essence 2
Essence 2
Title: Quickblade
Exalt: Infernal
Fighting Style: Hide behind the 7-foot Siaka Lunar
Artifact: Compliant Umbral Panoply

14 Nov 2009, 13:44

Fairly new here, but I would like to see if I couldn't get in on this one...

If you'll have me, I'd like to vote for Visual Novel. Horror-Rom-Com next. I agree with Bassist in that the other two are somewhat ambitious.
Exquisite Bride Obsession - A choose-your-own-adventure romance.

Oz
Essence 5
Essence 5

16 Nov 2009, 20:33

People seem to be afraid o' the ambitious ones. Understandable. Maybe we could make writer teams? People who shore up the weaknesses/lacks of interest in the other?
Have gun, will travel.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7

16 Nov 2009, 20:37

I'm totally game for cowriting with someone.
BrilliantRain: There are those who would note that sometimes, sometimes, you get the things you really need instead of the things you deserve.
Kailan: If people only ever got what they deserved, the world would be a more miserable place.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

16 Nov 2009, 22:03

Multiple groups over different projects?
I write stories. No, really.

Oz
Essence 5
Essence 5

16 Nov 2009, 22:10

I'm actually good at the military writing and what not. Not taht I'm like, of your stature, Epiphany, but co-writing would be a neat thing to try.
Have gun, will travel.

Fenris
DOOM HAS-Ohlookit Shinies!
Title: Sleepy Zenith
Fighting Style: Sorcery and Pillow Charms
Artifact: Glorious Solar Comforter

16 Nov 2009, 22:55

Multiple teams of writers sound like a good idea, but I would personally keep it all under one project. Too many running at once could very well lead to nothing getting off the ground.
Zhao Yi, "Venus! Will you look at the size of this closet?"
Midnight Rose, "Sifu, we're looking for booze here."

Current story is Sun and Stars which can be found in my notebook.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

17 Nov 2009, 13:11

For the record, I'm with Fenris on this. Multiple teams, maybe a subforum specifically for the writing project, but we should probably pick a project idea and stick with it.

Remember, we're not locked into what was already suggested, it's possible to come up with more.

Epiphany
Essence 7
Essence 7

18 Nov 2009, 10:46

Popular vote seems to lean toward horror/romance/etc. Anyone opposed? If not, let's move forward on that. Projects like this die sometimes because of the inertia that collects in soliciting all opinions. :)

Oz, the only stature I have is volume and that's not necessarily a good thing. ;) You want to cowrite something together, involving or not involving this particular project, drop me a PM. I'm totally game (especially since I suck at military writing).

Kailan
Essence 7
Essence 7
Title: Pattern Spider
Exalt: God
Fighting Style: I will nom your tasty paradox

18 Nov 2009, 11:05

Horror/romance is also fine by me. Though really, I'm up for pretty much anything.
Text in red is modvoice.

(11:18:32 PM) Xanti: The Bronze Faction does not care about your stupid anathema feefees.

This signature was foretold... BY GYROMANCY.

Oz
Essence 5
Essence 5

19 Nov 2009, 13:46

I don't think I've ever attempted to write either, but I'm on board for this is this is what you all want. Silly as it is. I'll lean more towards the horror of it.
Have gun, will travel.

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

19 Nov 2009, 15:20

Oz wrote:
I don't think I've ever attempted to write either, but I'm on board for this is this is what you all want. Silly as it is. I'll lean more towards the horror of it.

Honestly, it makes two of us. Still, I'm up for anything that expands my horizons as a writer.

Sounds like everyone involved's okay with this. Now. Gentlemen, ladies, ladies-who-dress-like-gentlemen, and androgenes, where should we begin?

Obscaenus
Essence 5
Essence 5

Re: Second TFS Writing Project! Now On Phase 2!

19 Nov 2009, 15:39

0) Grab a forum like Vanished has- or use that forum. Maybe also open up a room when we've got folks on, but post the logs there.

1) One of the big things we decided was to have a definite plot that allows people to post a few or a lot of chapters. Figure that out. Also, are we doing the VN or not?

2) Once we figure out the main plot beyond "DBs escaping Thorns or something", gather everybody and take some rolls on those shiny Tables Of Interconnection y'all were making. Some people will want to make characters first/together with someone else, some people will want to make characters based on said rolls, who the hell knows.

2a) Make several extra characters. If nothing else, a lot of them are probably going to die in various heroic, humorous or tragic ways. Designated NPCs would be fun, though we'd have to essentially time-share them to keep things consistent. That shouldn't be unworkable, though, if other folks think that's cool.

3) ???

4) Write!

bassist159
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author

Re: Second TFS Writing Project! Now On Phase 2!

19 Nov 2009, 15:55

Obscaenus wrote:
0) Grab a forum like Vanished has- or use that forum. Maybe also open up a room when we've got folks on, but post the logs there.

Sounds like a plan. Mods, can we get that old subforum opened up and people allowed access to it? I think Oz, Dinosaur, and BrilliantRain are the only three new people we have.

Obscaenus wrote:
1) One of the big things we decided was to have a definite plot that allows people to post a few or a lot of chapters. Figure that out. Also, are we doing the VN or not?

Again, agreed. As a clarification on the VN point: this mostly would just effect the way the story was written - namely, it'd be a ton of divergent story paths, as opposed to a unified ones. Let's not go putting the cart before the horse. After we get a project written, then we can worry about making it a VN proper.

Obscaenus wrote:
2) Once we figure out the main plot beyond "DBs escaping Thorns or something", gather everybody and take some rolls on those shiny Tables Of Interconnection y'all were making. Some people will want to make characters first/together with someone else, some people will want to make characters based on said rolls, who the hell knows.

Those tables still need to be written. I blame my inordinate number of papers.

Obscaenus wrote:
2a) Make several extra characters. If nothing else, a lot of them are probably going to die in various heroic, humorous or tragic ways. Designated NPCs would be fun, though we'd have to essentially time-share them to keep things consistent. That shouldn't be unworkable, though, if other folks think that's cool.

Sounds like a damned solid idea to me.

Obscaenus wrote:
3) ???

This would, in all seriousness, be "check with creators of other characters to make sure everything is copacetic."

Obscaenus wrote:
4) Write!

:Db