Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Forged, Part Six: Forged In Survival

28 Nov 2009, 22:59

And here we are at the conclusion. Anything after this point is play logs. :razz:

Possibly, I will try to write up such play logs from time to time, but no promises there.
-----

“Owww...” Groaning softly, Jamie shoved a girder out of his path, taking a deep breath of relatively clean air and grabbing bits of scrap metal. “Note to self. Next time, don't be inside the building you blow up.”

“Jamie!” For a moment, he thought that the volume controls on his radio were busted. Then he realized that Hephaestus was just yelling very loudly.

“Tone it down, Heff.” He muttered. “Mission accomplished. Just gotta go drag my carcass out of here.”

“Accomplished.” Hephaestus said bitterly. “Jamie, I would like to know at exactly what point killing every single person became the best way to solve this problem.”

Jamie sighed heavily. “Can this wait? I'm at about 20% efficiency. If my cybernetics weren't actively rerouting systems, I'd be dead. If I weren't divinely boosted, I'd still be dead. Maybe you can berate me for not magically understanding your incredibly vague instructions while I'm repairing myself, huh?”

“I don't think that's an appropriate way to talk to your god, Jamie.”

“Suck it up, man. You don't own me.” Reaching the edge of the devastation, Jamie turned back to survey the ruins of the facility. He sighed heavily. “There goes my life. If I show up alive, people will want to know how it is I'm the only survivor.”

“Jamie, I rather specifically do own you. You are my divine champion, which means that your actions are at my direction.” Hephaestus pointed out.

“Nope.” Jamie answered.

“This should be good.” Hephaestus said. “How did you come to this conclusion?”

“Simple.” Reaching the shelter of the treeline, Jamie collapsed to the ground, working his metal into very rough tools as he spoke. “You can run interference, but if you come down and mess me up directly, Ares'll find out. And he'll wonder why. Plus, I'm not sure you can act that directly anyway, or you wouldn't need proxies. And I know you can't take these powers away.” When Hephaestus didn't immediately answer, he smirked. “Told you. You don't own me. Look, Heph. I appreciate what you did to me. Saved me life, gave me something sweet here. And I recognize that I still owe you big time, and I'm happy to work for you. But none of this 'minion of the divine' crap, okay?”

The silence stretched for a minute, as Jamie tested his makeshift repairs. Just as he thought the god had left in a huff, Hephaestus finally spoke. “It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishment the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.”

“Okay, you lost me.” Jamie said slowly.

“It's from a poem.” The god replied. “Invictus, by William Ernest Henly. Look it up.”

“I'll do that.” Jamie smiled, starting into a jog through the woods. His legs sent shocks of pain at the effort, which he pushed aside. “So we're cool, right?”

“There are conditions. If you break them, I will consider it worth the problems necessary to remove you as my disciple.” Hephaestus warned him. “The process is very lethal.”

“Gotcha. What are the conditions?”

“No more killing people, unless doing so is absolutely the only way to save many more.” Hephaestus said firmly. “You're not a thug any more, Jamie. You have to be someone better.”

Jamie sighed. “Look, Heph. I gave it a try, but the instant that Simon Tate died, there was no one on that base worth saving.”

“Quite a few people would say the same about you.”

Jamie stopped. He frowned up at the sky, then shook his head and started running. “Okay, fine. Murder bad, got it. For what it's worth, I'm sorry that I got some of the others killed, too. Anything else?”

“I will continue to need your help from time to time. In return, I will help you when I can. Is that agreeable?”

“Absolutely.” Said Jamie, back on solid ground. “What do I do in the mean time? I mean, I can probably fake up some ID, but somehow I don't think it'd stand up to a full police background check, and I can't imagine that you want me taking mercenary work. And I'm pretty much only good at fighting things.”

“I think you'll find that you're good at quite a bit more, now. You could be a phenomenon on stage, and any technology company would be happy enough to have you as a researcher.” Hephaestus pointed out. “Or would it be better to say, you're only really happy fighting things?”

“I like a good brawl.” Jamie admitted after a moment. “I like other stuff too, though. Cooking. Girls. A job that made money would be nice.”

“I really think the choice is obvious.” Hephaestus said.

“I don't follow.”

“Think, Jamie. What profession involves large-scale combat against beings who could stand up to your pounding, the adulation of crowds – if you do it right – and is still in line with my ideals?”

“Uh, nothing? Except superheroes, I guess, but I'm no...” Jamie trailed off. “Hang on.” He stopped dead again. “I am, aren't I? I mean, put a cape on me and I'm basically already there.”

“Exactly. Choose a moniker, make some speeches about protecting the public, actually protect the public – they'll lap it up. The usual stresses of the profession are not things you tend to worry about.”

“I like it.” Jamie said slowly. “And I think I already have a moniker.”

“Nothing that references me, I hope.” Hephaestus said quickly. “I'm still a silent partner in all of this.”

“No worries, boss.” Jamie smiled. “I was thinking, 'Invictus'.”

“Hm. It could work.”

Jamie started into the trees. “Boss, I think I'm going to like my new life.

-----

It was so hard to breathe, hard to move. Hard to think. All she could remember was that she had been so close. So close to proving that she was better, that she was good enough for anyone. And then he took it all away. And now there was nothing to do but wait for the pain to stop. For everything to stop.

“I am very impressed, Sarah.” The voice brought her back from the brink. She tried to focus, but there was only darkness around her. “I never would have thought anyone could survive the nanite detonation, let alone having a military base fall on them. You are truly amazing.”

Thank you. She wanted to say it, but she couldn't speak. She held onto the sound, devoted everything to it as it continued. “I can take you out of here, Sarah. Make you better. You'll be strong enough to fight him, beat him. Whatever you want to do, you can do it. Of course,” It added offhandedly, “I will expect you to be properly grateful for my assistance. There are certain things you will need to do for me, before we deal with him. Can I count on you, Sarah? Can I trust you?”

Yes.

“Good. Come with me, Sarah.” She was lifted from the pain, felt soothing power envelop her. “We're going to be very happy together, I can already tell.”
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

Re: Forged, Part Six: Forged In Survival

29 Nov 2009, 10:06

While he may not own him, Vulcan was right to be concerned about the bombs. They seem to have started already making their way around to bite Jamie on the ass.
I write stories. No, really.

BrilliantRain
Essence 8
Essence 8
Title: The City of Mod
Exalt: Alchemical
Fighting Style: Primordial-Machine Weaving
Artifact: Eye of Autochthon

29 Nov 2009, 19:28

I dunno, I think she'd have willingly kicked his ass regardless of the fact that he blew-up a building on her. Nice ending there.

Mod Text is in Green

Do you have enough Tools, King of All Craftsmen?

Friv
Essence 6
Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

30 Nov 2009, 22:22

Thanks!

Now to sit back and see what our GM does with it. :mrgreen:

(Incidentally, hilarious quote from last session:
GM: (reviewing the scene that Erebus and Invictus had just completed): "Let's see. Extortion, Assault, breaking and entering..."
Me: "Hey, it was a bar! Invictus was totally allowed in!"
The Shadow: "No, that was Psyche and I."
Me: "Ohh, right."
GM: "Arson..."
Me: "I put the fires out!"
GM: "Lying to police officers, and inciting a riot. Are you sure you're the heroes?")
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".