Essence 6
Topic Author
Title: Splinter of Mokrelus
Exalt: Elemental
Fighting Style: Spell-Fu
Artifact: The Crucible of Tarim

Red Sky At Night, Part 24: Assets

06 Apr 2007, 11:57

Lodaris looked around the table, and repressed a sigh. Twice-Forged Steel was leaning back, his feet propped up on the table’s edge. Corpse Scented With Jasmine sat to his left, her attention fixed on Lodaris. Citrios and Alina were sitting opposite one another, and neither could quite look the other in the eye.

All in all, it was not exactly a smoothly-functioning team that he saw before him.

“Right. Let’s begin.” He leaned forwards, looking at each of his companions in turn. “We now have five and a half months before Calibration, at which point we will have to deal with Dukantha and whatever Lintha he chooses to bring with him. The militia is developing very well, and will be able to hold off a Lintha crew, but they will be as wheat chaff before a skilled supernatural opponent.” He smiled. “More interestingly, I have received a pair of letters from local outcaste asking to be trained in the ways of the Glorious Dragon Paths. I think, if they are willing to defend this island, it would be a wise choice to allow them to come.”

Jasmine nodded after a moment, her voice low and earnest. “The essence cannon is now fully functional. It took me longer than expected to reconnect the base’s power sources, but the result is acceptable. There are few ships that could survive even one hit from such a weapon.” She shrugged. “It will, of course, be a very large target when battle comes.”

Steel opened one eye, glancing around the table. “The Lintha are pulling back at the moment. Haven’t fought one on the last two trips. I think they’ve decided to wait for their glorious leader to show. This is good, because we can get supplies easily. It’s bad because I’m bored out of my mind.” He grinned. “On the bright side, it’s left me time to start sorting through all that crap in the base. You know there are automaton soldiers down there? Jasmine might be able to get them working again.” Jasmine nodded after a moment, and Steel closed his eyes again.

Alina shook her head. “We haven’t head from Nganto since she left. I hope she joins us. Even with our weapons, we’ll be hard-pressed to handle Dukantha without her.”

“Have you had any visions?” Citrios spoke up quietly, still not quite looking at her, and Alina frowned.

“Nothing useful. My dreams have been… odd. I keep hearing that “a storm is coming”, which we already know.” She paused. “My dreams are getting more fractured, lately, like they were before I Exalted. I haven’t heard the Sun’s voice in days.”

“That sounds worrying.” Lodaris leaned forwards thoughtfully. “I spoke with Sindalin. She said that as the Lintha are Yozi-spawn, she is bound by ancient oaths not to harm them directly. She can give us clear weather for battle and not much else.”

“Joy.” Steel opened his eyes again. “So, to summarize, we’re royally screwed, and losing our edges one at a time.”

“We haven’t lost yet.” Citrios frowned at Steel. “The cannon will help hold back the Lintha, and all of us together…”

“Will get flattened by Dukantha if he’s ready for us.” Steel swung his legs down and shook his head. “I don’t like these odds. Have we considered moving everyone on the island somewhere else? The Lintha don’t give a crap about us. They just want that damned gate.”

“Not an option.” Alina’s look dared him to object. He didn’t take her up on it. “Don’t you have any allies you can call on?”

“Not a chance.” Steel shook his head. “All of my old allies either died or want me to die. I have a massive heap of soulsteel lying in my house, ready to be used, but there’s just Jasmine and I to use it.” He frowned thoughtfully. “What about this watcher fellow that you two met? Can he help out?”

“I have no way to contact him.” Lodaris sighed quietly. “And to be frank, I do not trust him. He clearly acted to put us here without support, and I can’t help but wonder as to why.”

“Swell.” Steel stood up. “Well, if this encouraging strategy meeting’s quite done, I do have one thought. Probably won’t work, but you never know.”

“Oh?” Alina raised an eyebrow.

“Yep. Jasmine, hun, we’re going to meander down into the Labyrinth and see if we can’t recruit a few ghosts to lend a hand.”

There was a pause before Jasmine spoke. “Are you sure that is wise?”

“Not even a little. But I’m not the sort to cut and run. Come on.” With a faint sigh, Jasmine stood, and the two left the room. After a moment, Lodaris sighed.

“I will return to training the militia. I feel that we will need them.” Nodding to the two younger Exalts, he stood as well and walked out.

Alina stood. “I should go, too. I need to…”

“Wait.” Citrios stood, stepping towards her. “Alina. I’m… I’m sorry.”

Alina fell silent. Citrios took another step. “I was afraid, Alina. I thought that I was in control of my life, but I never realized how much I had come to depend on you. When you left… it was like the light had gone out. I didn’t know what to do.”

“Citrios.” Alina stepped forwards, letting her hand brush his cheek. “You know I would do anything for you.”

“I know. That, I always knew.” Citrios sighed, and took Alina into a hug. “But someone told me something recently, and I realized it was true. You shouldn’t do anything for me. You should have your own life.” He smiled sadly. “Do you know, I don’t even know your family name? Five years, and I never asked.”

She laughed. “I don’t have one. Never did.”

“There you go.” Citrios stepped back, and Alina let him. “I want us to work, Alina. But the truth is I hardly know you. Can we start from the beginning? Properly, this time?”

“I think we can.” With an impish smile, Alina stepped towards the door. “I can start by showing you around the town properly. You’ve been here, what – a week now?”

“A little over that.” Citrios grinned. “Let’s go see the sights.”

Arm in arm, they strolled outside.
"Some people walk in the rain. Others merely get wet."

Patchwork Champions - You say "to-ma-toe", I say "world-ravaging-laser-beam".

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Exalt: Lunar
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

06 Apr 2007, 12:25

Now not quite as dysfunctional as before.

And if they go and stomp the tar out of a local threat, they should be able to secure more than enough new tricks to defeat an akuma. At least, that's what I keep telling myself, on account of the fact that Falafel is so much scarier. <^_^>

Tornado Wolf
Essence 6
Essence 6
Title: Retired Fanatic
Fighting Style: Relentless assault
Artifact: Lunatic Fang - the Moonsilver Anyweapon

07 Apr 2007, 11:11

Dinosaur wrote:
Falafel is so much scarier. <^_^>

Phalaffel? Isn't that a breakfast pasty?
Do not confuse the inexcusable for the unforgivable. If a crime can be excused, then there was nothing to forgive in the first place. It is only when a crime is inexcusable that forgiveness is even an issue. And at that point, forgive. Forgive, if only because it sets you free. Bitterness never produced anything sweet.

Dinosaur
Essence 10
Essence 10
Title: Social Justice Kaiju
Fighting Style: Natural Weapons
Artifact: Audient Quill

07 Apr 2007, 16:16

Tornado Wolf wrote:
Phalaffel? Isn't that a breakfast pasty?

And a disparaging term for the First and Forsaken Lion.